Hitting 100 in POE

Death penalty is a good thing to prevent 4k life Abyssus Mathil style builds from dominating the game by zerging content to death successfully.
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
Sure, it will allow you to run the most dangerous content to get there, but is content really still dangerous if dying is of no consequence?

Gonna have to interject here. I don't like losing sulphite from delving, losing a Betrayal intervention encounter, a temple room, a "don't die" Zana mission, a delirium encounter, or 1-6 portals in a map from dying.

"
zzang wrote:
Death penalty is a good thing to prevent 4k life Abyssus Mathil style builds from dominating the game by zerging content to death successfully.

Kind of becomes a moot point if players give up wanting to level past 90-95 and just resort to that anyway. Really, 5-10 extra passive points isn't something worth breaking your balls over. :P
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.
Last edited by Pizzarugi on Apr 9, 2020, 2:35:15 PM
"
Pizzarugi wrote:

Kind of becomes a moot point if players give up wanting to level past 90-95 and just resort to that anyway. Really, 5-10 extra passive points isn't something worth breaking your balls over. :P

Thats right i think people are happy if they reach 95 alreadfy. There is no one that really "needs" lvl 100. And if so the tools are there to make a proper build that doesnt rip.
Problem is not 5 more passives. The huge and main problem with death penalty is:

F R U S T R A T I O N.

Imagine you play for hours a day and for a single lag spike you lose all the progress of a whole day. It feels like wasted time, wasted live.

Some people play past 95 for a sense of progress, and it makes them feel good to see they can progress toward max level, after all past 95 it's hours and hours of grinding most unbalanced/poorly designed content, it DO feel good to end a day and know you are closer to the next goal.

And then you get a random one shot, a bad lag spike, a second not paying attention, a visual clusterfuck where you can't see that DD, and blamo! All that goes to nothing, with no chance to get it back.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but back when I decided to give PoE a try after D3 fiasco every information I gathered didn't say PoE was a rage game a la Dark Souls. It said ARPG. And no ARPGs in the time have such a frustrating mechanic like this. And every ARPG I played since Diablo had never a mechaninc that you lose progress without any chance to recover, at least the most part, what you lost. Running back to corpse, spending money, etc, but you DID have a mean to recover.

Even Souls Series wich is a rage game that you will rage and frustrate a lot of times it does have a mean to recover your progress (souls), and if you really "git gud" you will do it and never lose it again for the same reason. And that feel double the reward: you overcome the initial frustration of losing souls and overcome the new challenge to recover what you lost, you "got gud", improved.

PoE on the other side has only frustration. First and foremost because 90% of your deaths are out of your control, so it's double frustration: you lose exp and lose it because whatever else happens, not because you are playing poorly or didn't make a good build. Damn even OP summoners back in Blight died from time to time because of random shit. Voices builds this league doesn't count they are broken and the game is broken, they will have a fix in the future.

So many of this kind of posts are because the frustration that PoE death penalty system is. GGG doesn't seen to care, so it will never change. Some people deal better than others with frustration, some don't. But I doubt that anyone play games to get frustrated, we already have real life for that.

"Bad build", "git gud", "play HC", all these bullshit will not fix nor contribute to the discussion, save your breath. You know all these are wrong and has no place in this kind of discussion.

Unless GGGCent want to adress the psychological part of death penalty, all this is an exercise in futility.
"There's no thing like random one-shots in this game. You only die because you take 353,456,237 hits in 0.2 seconds."

"The best items in the game should not be crafted, they should be TRADED." - Cent, GGG
Exp penalty is the only reason I am not actively doing the content I want to do.

I've hit 96.5 and got my Sirus ready, but since I know that I will most likely die at least once, maybe more, it would be really frustrating to see that hard-earned exp melt away.

That's the whole thing with the levelling system past certain levels: super grindy, very punishing if you die. Benefits from actually levelling up? Minuscule at best.
Sitting in HO spamming alts for 4 hours straight is peak PoE gameplay. Thanks, Chris.
That's the same way I've started playing. Whenever I get past 20-30% of a level (around 88+ now), I stop doing anything interesting, go grind out the rest of the level.

Then I do all the fun/dangerous/progress atlas stuff, die a bunch, and eventually get a string of non-deaths and get to that threshold again.

It's not a fun way to play.

I got fortunate last league and got 3 levels from a group that was chaining beachheads for XP (and gave me a free ride if I just kept up and didn't loot). Took 3 hours to do what normally took a day or more.

But I don't ever see myself grinding past 95.

I probably won't ever play hardcore again, since I can just die from something offscreen and unseen even using an ultra-safe tanky minion build.

"
Xefferman wrote:
There really isn't a difference between your proposed leveling system and the currently implemented one.

Either,

It takes longer to level but you don't lose experience when you die.

Or,

It takes longer to level because when you die you lose experience.

There's a major difference. In the one he's proposing, we don't have to put "the fun stuff" on pause whenever we went to go level up another level. We *keep doing the fun stuff* even if we might die occasionally from it.
"
Arrataz wrote:
"
Xefferman wrote:
There really isn't a difference between your proposed leveling system and the currently implemented one.

Either,

It takes longer to level but you don't lose experience when you die.

Or,

It takes longer to level because when you die you lose experience.

There's a major difference. In the one he's proposing, we don't have to put "the fun stuff" on pause whenever we went to go level up another level. We *keep doing the fun stuff* even if we might die occasionally from it.

+1

I won't try anything risky after I hit 50% to next level after level 90. I'll go about farming mats and stuff in safe maps until I hit the next level then give it a go.
There are two types of POE players:
1) Those who want to walk uphill both ways barefoot on broken glass wearing a blindfold
2) F*cking noobs

I identify as transnational Chinese. May I have access to their QOL features, please?
"
frostzor27 wrote:
Problem is not 5 more passives. The huge and main problem with death penalty is:

F R U S T R A T I O N.

Imagine you play for hours a day and for a single lag spike you lose all the progress of a whole day. It feels like wasted time, wasted live.

Some people play past 95 for a sense of progress, and it makes them feel good to see they can progress toward max level, after all past 95 it's hours and hours of grinding most unbalanced/poorly designed content, it DO feel good to end a day and know you are closer to the next goal.

And then you get a random one shot, a bad lag spike, a second not paying attention, a visual clusterfuck where you can't see that DD, and blamo! All that goes to nothing, with no chance to get it back.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but back when I decided to give PoE a try after D3 fiasco every information I gathered didn't say PoE was a rage game a la Dark Souls. It said ARPG. And no ARPGs in the time have such a frustrating mechanic like this. And every ARPG I played since Diablo had never a mechaninc that you lose progress without any chance to recover, at least the most part, what you lost. Running back to corpse, spending money, etc, but you DID have a mean to recover.

Even Souls Series wich is a rage game that you will rage and frustrate a lot of times it does have a mean to recover your progress (souls), and if you really "git gud" you will do it and never lose it again for the same reason. And that feel double the reward: you overcome the initial frustration of losing souls and overcome the new challenge to recover what you lost, you "got gud", improved.

PoE on the other side has only frustration. First and foremost because 90% of your deaths are out of your control, so it's double frustration: you lose exp and lose it because whatever else happens, not because you are playing poorly or didn't make a good build. Damn even OP summoners back in Blight died from time to time because of random shit. Voices builds this league doesn't count they are broken and the game is broken, they will have a fix in the future.

So many of this kind of posts are because the frustration that PoE death penalty system is. GGG doesn't seen to care, so it will never change. Some people deal better than others with frustration, some don't. But I doubt that anyone play games to get frustrated, we already have real life for that.

"Bad build", "git gud", "play HC", all these bullshit will not fix nor contribute to the discussion, save your breath. You know all these are wrong and has no place in this kind of discussion.

Unless GGGCent want to adress the psychological part of death penalty, all this is an exercise in futility.

+1 great post, exactly my thoughts
"
frostzor27 wrote:

F R U S T R A T I O N.

I completely agree, I am new player, I recently discovered about the XP penalty around level 90. Now that I know about it, I will avoid playing the game late at night (2-3AM), because at that hours I am not in my best shape to avoid random deaths, also when I feel tired or not 100% focused, I will avoid playing PoE. I specifically don't even care about reaching high level or a specific level, but sure as hell I don't like losing stuff. This mechanic is making people play less the game and its all based on solid psychology theories.

In cognitive psychology and decision theory, loss aversion refers to people's tendency to prefer avoiding losses to acquiring equivalent gains: it is better to not lose $5 than to find $5. The principle is very prominent in the domain of economics.

There is also rage factors, like rage quitting or getting angry at other people that interrupt you while playing. For example my gf often walks in front of the TV, once I remember dying because of it, back then I didn't know about the penalty, so it didn't bother me, but at level 99 a death would be a solid breakup reason. There are also lag, de-synchronization causes of deaths that are beyond player control. Losing hours of gameplay, because you couldn't find the TV remote stuck in the couch and the TV powersaving settings turned off the TV while you fight a boss is also not fun.

One other argument about the leveling system is that it is lacking completion, it is quite hard to get to level 100 and also what I hear pointless, but this works bad on people that have OCD spectrum, because they will be denied the completion of reaching that end number.

The penalty is not achieving its supposed goal of preventing low survivability builds, because those people can simply run low tier content to level up, then do the risky stuff exactly after reaching a fresh level. Probably removing this is not possible, but at least I hope they reconsider it for PoE 2. There is a hardcore mode already, so hardcore players that would jump in the discussion and say "bla, bla dont die, bla bla", they can simply play hardcore.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info