The Salvage Box has been Scrapped

i was so happy to see i could do something with duplicates... i think it should give you something new instead of another duplicate. i purchased two salvage boxes and put 12 duplicates to make 2 duplicates..... that kinda sucked lol.
Big thanks to the community, no props to devs. Should have known how strongly we would feel about it.
I want to show support for GGG's decision here. Pulling a profit stream is not an easy thing for a game company to do, but in this case it was absolutely the right choice.

Some players have genuine self-control issues regarding gambling and this particular transaction would have essentially charged them again for the compulsive purchases that led them to have hordes of duplicates, effectively preying on their vulnerabilities once again. Add to that that PoE is a game that is fundamentally about winning random loot by killing monsters over and over again so you have to figure that, compared to other genres, a disproportionate amount of the player base likely is at risk for some degree of gambling addiction, and double dipping the biggest losers starts looking downright unethical.

I applaud GGG for so quickly correcting this lapse in judgment. I admit my faith wobbled there, but you've redeemed yourself.
"

Some players have genuine self-control issues regarding gambling and this particular transaction would have essentially charged them again for the compulsive purchases that led them to have hordes of duplicates,

I really don't understand posts like this. Why are you so worried about how other people spend their money?

Maybe GGG should just scrap the MTX shop and make the game subscription based, right? /s
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019

"It looks like we broke something with 3.10.0. We don't know what it is yet." - Bex, March 16th, 2020
Last edited by girng on Sep 11, 2019, 12:58:52 AM
I don't want to overanalyze this too much, but such a system could have worked were the prices of the MTX on a different scale.

Ethically speaking, it's understandable why the community is angry. The traditional mystery box is borderline gambling as it is, having to pay twice to double gamble... People are going to feel cheated.

I tried it and chucked in a bunch of duplicates in there, about 8, only to get another duplicate. Really?

The way MTX are split into rarities is fine. Why not make this box a permanent tool part of the cosmetic UI, and then get points back and allow us to buy older MTX or choose among a selection of services or other goods? Or just make the box free and allow us to just get rid of our duplicates... Or don't allow players to get duplicates in the first place...

There are so many cosmetics available that even if you wanted to buy all of them, the vast majority of players couldn't.

A lot of us support the game because we believe that hard work should be rewarded, and that you guys deserve to get paid because you have created something unique and are working hard to change and improve it.

Share some love back!
damn i liked it . too bad.

but getting rid of dupes is a right idea i believe.

hopefully we get something better soon.

maybe recycle into something players "don't have" could have been the right thing to do. but ofc, if you salvage bunch of common items to get rare item seems broken. so idk
Last edited by Dudebag on Sep 11, 2019, 1:02:20 AM
This should be free tool for ppl to use. But im sad, i didnt have chance to use it. it would have been better than nothing. :(
"
Surinasauva wrote:
This should be free tool for ppl to use. But im sad, i didnt have chance to use it. it would have been better than nothing. :(

Reddit said no, sorry!
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019

"It looks like we broke something with 3.10.0. We don't know what it is yet." - Bex, March 16th, 2020
Had to check my calendar. Thought it was April Fools.
Censored.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Had to check my calendar. Thought it was April Fools.

Make sure you check it on Friday, November 1 as well

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info