Why do people hate Synthesis?

I started to play POE because it was an aRPG. The meaning of this genre should be go places kill stuff. Right now POE has so much stuff that needs management and planning it feels like a puzzle game more than an aRPG. To top it all off, since the addition of temples, delves and now synthesis memories the drops have been shifted from maps to the tedious content so we feel compelled to engage with the boring, tedious, broken mechanics they decided to add.

Bad enough that this game is semi-forcing me to play in a specific way but it also decided it doesn't wanna be an aRPG anymore.

I have a job, where rules must be followed and things done in specific orders abiding by the guidelines, etc. I don't need more puzzles after work I need an aRPG.
path of crafting.
"Parade your victories, hide your defeats. Mortals are so insecure."

Once you break the cycle of fear no angels or demons can whisper you their sweet nothing words.

Retired since crucible.(Not a free tester anymore for a multi billion dollar company).
I love the idea of synthesis league mechanic (it could be better, but I still like it way more than most previous leagues). However GGG made literally everything they could to make this lague bad. Ninja nerf to map drop and removing the only way to "block" syndicate were only few of them.
Last edited by Aynix on Apr 29, 2019, 8:32:31 AM
"
Just curious, don't fully understand. I'm pushing towards red maps in HC and like the league mechanic solely because it's just kinda like "bonus maps" that aren't terribly rippy with moderatly better returns than maps. Placing memories is pretty straight forward as well.

I liked running in-map memories and non-decaying nexus areas as well... but other than that synthesis's building bridges plays like the 90's game TIM(the incredible machine). Way too clunky and user-unfriendly. That is even besides the annoying decay being able to ruin entire runs towards reward chests. Which are not really rewarding hehe.
The extra synthesis content is mapping with extra steps, and the map drop rates where changed around it. The nexus is delve but more complicated. less rewarding, and requiring more micromanagement. The decay in the fragments is also random and sometimes just gets you and that sucks too.

Basically it's nothing really new, it's just content we already have in other places, but presented in a worse fashion.

If they upped the memory inventory from 10 to at least 50 and made the nexus less cluttered it would be better. If they treated it more like optional content and didn't balance map drops around it it would at least be ignorable. Since they did neither it's just a pain.
Last edited by j33bus on Apr 29, 2019, 11:55:07 AM
An ideal reward system would be something like for 10 units of work, your reward is say 10 units of reward (whatever item/currency you like)

For 20 units of work, you get 20 units of reward.

For 50, maybe you get 75 units of reward.

For 90, you get 160 units of reward.

For 100, you get 225 units of reward.

It rewards more effort on a non-linear scale, while providing benefit to everyone who plays.

Synthesis, if you put in 0 to 60 units of work, you get almost 0 reward. (This was fixed later but half the league was gone according to those Steam charts.)

For 80 units of Synthesis work, you got 200 units of reward.

And for 100 units of work, you get 300 units of reward.

So, anyone who is not a high end crafter, researching the fractured items, and trading for different bases, there was almost no reward at all.

That's coming from someone who actually liked Synthesis.
"
Bosscannon wrote:
I started to play POE because it was an aRPG. The meaning of this genre should be go places kill stuff. Right now POE has so much stuff that needs management and planning it feels like a puzzle game more than an aRPG. To top it all off, since the addition of temples, delves and now synthesis memories the drops have been shifted from maps to the tedious content so we feel compelled to engage with the boring, tedious, broken mechanics they decided to add.

Bad enough that this game is semi-forcing me to play in a specific way but it also decided it doesn't wanna be an aRPG anymore.

I have a job, where rules must be followed and things done in specific orders abiding by the guidelines, etc. I don't need more puzzles after work I need an aRPG.

This. Very good point. I hated Synthesis mechanics after only two days, but at first I did not really care. I thought I would just ignore it, and if I will like the items available there, I'll just buy them. In this way, I will try something new and those who liked the new mechanics, will earn some currency.

Unfortunately, quite soon it turned out that in order to sustain maps player is forced to interact with Synthesis. In this way, forced interaction with Betrayal and Bestiary was accompanied by forced interaction with "this something".

I thought about it for a moment, and I figured it did not make sense anymore. I realized that it could only be worse, because in every next league I will have to interact with all these mechanics, with Synthesis and Bestiary which I simply hate, with Incursion which has been nerfed to the point that only 2 rooms are profitable and the rest is garbage and with Delve, where sulphite deficiency lasts all the time.

I'm sorry, but my time is too valuable for something like that. And there is a nightmarish trade system too. No thanks. Let Chris Wilson play forever in his own invention, I get off.
You have been placed on probation for: ● Make hateful or needlessly negative comments ● Personally attack or cause harm to the reputation of others ● Antagonise others in an obnoxious manner ●
Last edited by srogi_kotek on Apr 29, 2019, 1:36:52 PM
"
Icoblablubb wrote:
in short it just sucks

Well can say

Its non people hate synthesis..
It is synthesis hates people!
I hate it because it feels like doing homework. Feeling forced to do stuff kinda sucks if you have limited playtime. It's the same tedious grind over and over. Seen enough of it. Lost several hc toons on PS4 in a nexus due to desynch and game crashes but that's another story.
[Removed by Support]
"
Just curious, don't fully understand. I'm pushing towards red maps

/snip

So to sum it up, you don't know what you're talking about.

Terrible league. only rich flippers and crafters are benefiting from synthesizing. Memories are w/e. " very valuable currency" chests drop peanuts, it literally makes me wonder if they play their own fucking game. chance to drop quality currency has been the best modifier in my experience. you walk away with a hundred chisels and a hundred gcp's if you set up a X properly for modifiers.

But anyways, it's just garbage. Very unrewarding. No one wants to collect trash rares for the off chance it has a high tier fractured mod. NOT FUN. NOT REWARDING.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info