for everyone who wants a challange

"
ffogell wrote:
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:
While I agree that dying to some ridiculous combination of map and monster mobs and losing that 10% is frustrating, I have to disagree with the idea of removing it because there has to be SOME sense of danger, loss on failure, and accomplishment when it is overcome.

Yes, dying because of a lag spike is terrible, and we have all felt that pain, but we signed up to play a persistent online game and this is a fundamental risk involved in that paradigm. It is unavoidable and the sooner you get over it, the sooner you can enjoy playing again.

My first 90 this league died literally only several kills from hitting 90. Was I apoplectic. Damn right I was. But once I took it out on my children I was fine, went back to playing and got that level.

Dunno if this is a language barrier, but are you really meaning what you are saying as like :

take it out on (someone or something)
To punish or mistreat someone or something as a means of expressing or giving vent to a strong, typically negative, emotion, such as anger or aggression

You know that is why I'm not a fan of the death penalty because often I die because of stuff I can't control or fail to see(because my screen is filled with rainbow)

Unlike you I dont vent it out on my childrens, I just stop playing :P lmao

You got it right - I was joking that I got really mad dying just before 90 but once I abused my children I felt better and could go back to gaming.

Of course I would never do that: looks askance at my oldest.......
A death penalty is a very valid reason for me to play this game differently than I would play it if there was none. Actually, the death penalty is a big factor influencing how I build my characters, and if there was none, I'd build them very differently.

As I see it right now, the POE core idea is balancing defense vs offense. You have lots of mechanics which you incorporate into your build which stack offensive stats, and your damage. You need to kill staff fast, so you build around it.

The second part is: you need to not die often in order to progress. If your build is well balanced and your internet connection isn't shit, the occasional lag spike will feel bad, but won't put a wall onto your progression.

If you're tanky as fk but your clear speed sucks in corrupted T16's and build is boring to play, you failed at the offensive side of your build. On the other hand, if you kill everything blazing fast but die once every 5 maps, your build has failed defensively. You can not progress further. You either need better items or a better build to progress further. Sure, you can also step back and level in easy maps, but there is no fun in that. Boredom = stop playing the game = stop of progression.

Taking away death penalty would put me into position where I can progress, fully disregarding the defensive side of my build. This would make half of the defensive mechanics POE has to offer pretty much useless and would streamline build creation to an extent I would probably not find fun anymore.

Also, without death penalty, even 8-mod T16's are boring because failing doesn't mean anything. So, why should I still play then?

I do understand the arguments against the death penalty, but for me personally, removing it, would indeed mean a lot less fun in this game. And at last - why don't I play hardcore then? Because I do enjoy the risky content with the feeling that death is waiting behind every corner, but I hate leveling again and again and again. Also, I like speedy builds, and regrinding my gear would be awful.
if you want penalty go play hardcore...
"There are Penalties in the Game, no one's complaining about them"
Chris Wilson Exilecon 2019
that same logic says:

if you want to zerg rush, play starcraft.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
Well, except, y'know, you're comparing an actual option IN THIS GAME to just playing a different game.

This game ALREADY has something to cater to the masochists that want to be punished. Those same masochists (who so desperately want to pretend they're better players than they are) are trying to push things across all players, and taking the elitist argument of "It's MY game, go play something else!"
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
Didn't really bother to read pages of answers following OP post but I imagine all the white knights rode around to defend status quo.

And yeah, OP is absolutely right: if you want to play HC go f*cking play HC and stop pestering casual gamers.

At least in some HC players view SC is supposed to be their failure bucket where failed HC characters are stored, which is why last time the same issue of excessive death XP penalty was brought up, they argued that 'the only reason me and my HC buddies keep playing is the XP death penalty'.

Personally I think game automatically deleting HC characters upon death would solve this problem.

By 'excessive XP death penalty' I'm referring to penalty inflicted upon characters of 95+ lvls. If player wants to progress character lvl, the game basically force feeds one to play HC after reaching level 95, nevermind player actually clicked on 'softcore' upon creating his/her toon.
Last edited by vmt80 on Sep 26, 2018, 6:22:56 PM
The only argument I mostly hear from people that are for the death penalty is all about speculation of people behavior in the future that hasnt happened yet... some can be legit concern, some driven by fear of the unknown but no one will ever really convince me unless we actually try it.

I think GGG should test it during league or 1 month race and see how people behaves. With all their data they could have some insight about if its good or not for them,the player and the game.

It could be an options like for SSF where you dont lose xp and your are on a different ladder.

Speculating will never give us an answer, we need to test it and leagues are perfect for that and my solution should be technically possible as they did it for SSF...

No reason not to try PERIOD

Last edited by ffogell on Sep 26, 2018, 6:29:58 PM
"
ACGIFT wrote:
Well, except, y'know, you're comparing an actual option IN THIS GAME to just playing a different game.

This game ALREADY has something to cater to the masochists that want to be punished. Those same masochists (who so desperately want to pretend they're better players than they are) are trying to push things across all players, and taking the elitist argument of "It's MY game, go play something else!"

Well, while I don't agree with your position on this I don't think that accurately describes my attitude about it. However, I will say that POE is not a game for everyone. It does attempt to cater to a very specific demographic of gamer. Some things are open for discussion because they don't affect the base beliefs of the developer but others are so ingrained in their design philosophy it's really pointless to try and get them to change. And it's because they do not care about making everyone happy that this is the case. If they wanted to try and please everyone there would be:

1. Alternate options for ascendancies
2. In-game trade tools
3. No SC death penalty
4. An auction house
5. Maps would be plentiful without any currency investment
6. Delve would have no participation cost

Etc., etc. This topic is just one of those things that just isn't going away, and since I firmly believe that I can either go play something else or adjust to it. I've chosen to adjust to it.

Anyway, that's my position. I decided to get over it instead of trying to change it because it's one of the core things I don't think GGG will every give in on, unless the entire senior team left.
POE Serenity Prayer: GGG, grant me the serenity to accept the RNG I cannot change,
the courage to challenge any unbalanced content, and the wisdom to avoid the forums.
Mad: "Oh, it's simple and if you insist... I just think you're a dick. That's all."
QFT: 4TRY4C&4NO
Last edited by Phaeded on Sep 26, 2018, 6:35:37 PM
"
ACGIFT wrote:

...what are you talking about? if there was a zerg rush option in this game, like you just implied, this thread would not exist.

good job!
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

"
vmt80 wrote:
Didn't really bother to read pages of answers following OP post but I imagine all the white knights rode around to defend status quo.

And yeah, OP is absolutely right: if you want to play HC go f*cking play HC and stop pestering casual gamers.

At least in some HC players view SC is supposed to be their failure bucket where failed HC characters are stored, which is why last time the same issue of excessive death XP penalty was brought up, they argued that 'the only reason me and my HC buddies keep playing is the XP death penalty'.

Personally I think game automatically deleting HC characters upon death would solve this problem.

By 'excessive XP death penalty' I'm referring to penalty inflicted upon characters of 95+ lvls. If player wants to progress character lvl, the game basically force feeds one to play HC after reaching level 95, nevermind player actually clicked on 'softcore' upon creating his/her toon.

...so you think a delve hc char that dies is sent to delve sc?

a++++

the logic/facts in this thread really is top notch.

edit: it's hilarious that poe has gotten easier and easier, the power creep has become a joke, there are items that make people immortal... and people STILL complain about difficulty/actually being penalized for dying.

these same people will complain until this is a phone/browser game that plays itself.

[Removed by Support]

Last edited by robmafia on Sep 26, 2018, 6:46:21 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info