Worst Death Penalty mechanics I've ever seen!

"
Vresiberba wrote:
"
beaniac wrote:
You learned you weren't ready for that content.

Rubbish. I completely trounce Incursions and do 100% clears every time, except when I'm ambushed at the entrance and can't get my totems up in time. That's not a sign of not being ready, that's a sign of bad design which coupled with a stupid death penalty that takes hours to claw back ruins the whole game.

And did you have -60 chaos resist like everybody else who complains about this? If the answer is yes then you weren't ready for that content. It has nothing to do with your speed or dps allowing you to clear incursions in time. Take some responsibility for your own shortcomings, and quit blaming them on a game that is designed to make you pay for them. The design is good, it's you that's bad.
"
beaniac wrote:
"
Vresiberba wrote:
"
beaniac wrote:

Rubbish. I completely trounce Incursions and do 100% clears every time, except when I'm ambushed at the entrance and can't get my totems up in time. That's not a sign of not being ready, that's a sign of bad design which coupled with a stupid death penalty that takes hours to claw back ruins the whole game.

And did you have -60 chaos resist like everybody else who complains about this? If the answer is yes then you weren't ready for that content. It has nothing to do with your speed or dps allowing you to clear incursions in time. Take some responsibility for your own shortcomings, and quit blaming them on a game that is designed to make you pay for them. The design is good, it's you that's bad.

for incursions,
Having the res is a moot point if you are being hit by 100 different sources at the same time.
The fact that they sync their attacks is a bit annoying and you have to hope that you dash the right way to find a safe spot.
There are also some layouts where all the monsters spawn on one side of the map , while the red door is on the other.

aside as this is about the death penalty,
The game needs to revisit this penalty as it only steers players away from playing the game into gamining the game - in essense you play low level content with no risk and die of boredom.
The game should encourage running harder content.
The penalty - should have a way to circumvent it with something other than increasing amounts of loss time. This can be achieved in a few ways.
1) increasing experience gained on maps depending on mod combinations.
2) increasing minimum experience gained on maps by map tier.
3) vastly increase boss xp and chance of it dropping maps (making them worth the risk)
4) allow players to purchase an orb from a master at a cost of regrets to regain the last lost xp.
5) change it from a flat 10% to the last x instances ran (say 4). This would increase the penalty when leveling and tapper down as you reach end game. ie you lose the exp from the last 4 maps ran.

The point is , there are many better solutions in modern gaming then to keep this lazy archaic design feature that serves only to make players not play the game. If they are not playing they are also not interested in buying mtx.

I've said before, I wish they'd just remove the penalty. When you pick softcore, you're already picking easy mode. Just let us grind away mindlessly without worrying about crashes, DCs, or freak combinations of map mods that converge at just the right moment to squish you in an instant in some random 100 to 1 shot. I'd love to go for a 100 again, but it was just too stressful to put myself though that again. The feeling of dying at 99 and losing an entire day of grinding...I can't even imagine what it would be like on HC.
"
poepoe091 wrote:
When you pick softcore, you're already picking easy mode.

Because softcore players are the ones who sit there hovering over a logout macro that they mash the fuck out of the second they take more than 10% of their ehp in damage...
Currently being stalked around these forums by some clowns who caught feelings over being called out at being grossly inept at their job.
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:

Didn't Lineage 2 also have the 0.0001% drop chance for legendary items off regular mobs (drop tables were public) and one of the worst levelling grinds in MMO history?

This is the game we are using as a benchmark now?

there were no legrndary items in lineage 2. only grades. top being S grade and yes they could drop from regular mobs but once in a blue moon. boss jewels were boss drops exclusively. guy asked for an example and I gave it to him. I know how bad some of the things in Lineage 2 were and it kept getting worse, that's why I gave up in the first place like 7 years ago. I had my fun in that game
"
Thadenkeen wrote:

Having players leave a FTP game for whatever reason is not good, economic wise for GGG, especially over a mechanic in the game that can be made to cater to all audiences..

You can never cater to all audiences. "You can please all the people some of the time, some of the people all the time, but never all the people all the time."
"
beaniac wrote:
"
Vresiberba wrote:
"
beaniac wrote:

And did you have -60 chaos resist like everybody else who complains about this?

No, but right now I'm playing SSF and obviously do not have 75% either, But for your information, I die with 75% Chaos resistance, too. Right now I have -13% 8%.

"
beaniac wrote:
If the answer is yes then you weren't ready for that content.

Stop it with this "you're not ready" bullshit. This is about the spiky, uneven and unreliable damage that is present in this game. Sometimes I die from off-screen damage and sometimes I survive toe-to-toe nukes. It's hard if not impossible to be prepare4d for every eventuality and all encounters and sometimes you die, it happens. I have no problem with that, other than being a sore loser and hating it which is penalty enough in my mind, it's the unnecessary and over the top penalty I have a problem with.

"
beaniac wrote:
Take some responsibility for your own shortcomings, and quit blaming them on a game that is designed to make you pay for them. The design is good, it's you that's bad.

Oh, please... you think you know me? You don't!
Going outside is highly overrated
-Anorak's Almanac. Chapter 17, Verse 32
Last edited by Vresiberba on Jul 19, 2018, 12:58:05 AM
"
beaniac wrote:
"
Vresiberba wrote:
"
beaniac wrote:

The dunning kruger is so prevalent on game forums these days.

Running totems in beastiary I remember accidentally completing a tier 15 map because it didn't click that the vaal orb had upgraded the map. Went completely deathless. Yet, at the same time, I had also stopped fighting the factory boss because the tight quarters practically negated my main form of mitigation, which was getting out of the way.

Blaming spike damage for unfair deaths is silly given the only things that should kill you are spike damage and unexpected disconnects.

I remember entering an incursion and getting shot at by all four sides of the room. Instead of just blaming it on lousy mechanics, I readjusted defense stats to have more room to tank hits and ensured I had solid resistance. I also made sure not to stay in the same spot while multiple volleys launched, even holding back the attack just to move if necessary.

But seeing the excuses in this thread just reminds me of bronzies in LoL thinking they're hot shit and yet rank at the lowest of the player base.

Sure, spike damage sucks, but anyone with any reasonable pvp experience knows that in a lot of situations you can only kill someone with solid spike damage otherwise they regen/heal up etc. Applying that to pve isn't rocket science.
Yep, totally over league play.
"
SeCKSEgai wrote:
Blaming spike damage for unfair deaths is silly given the only things that should kill you are spike damage and unexpected disconnects.

Don't know if this post was aimed at me, but, I don't "blame" anything on anything, I don't like the death penalty, I think it's a lazy and archaic design that has no place in modern gaming. That's it.

"
SeCKSEgai wrote:
Sure, spike damage sucks, but anyone with any reasonable pvp experience knows that in a lot of situations you can only kill someone with solid spike damage otherwise they regen/heal up etc. Applying that to pve isn't rocket science.

Well, I don't do PvP because that means dealing with people and as I have learned from my 35 years being "online", that can be, how shall I put it, arduous at best.
Going outside is highly overrated
-Anorak's Almanac. Chapter 17, Verse 32
You say archaic design, but you aren't offering any alternatives to increase difficulty either.

The genre is limited by its very nature - acquiring quality gear tends to trivialize content whereas the same character with weaker equipment may find the very same challenge impossible.

Without the constant hunt for better gear and wealth there's little incentive to spam the same handful of skills over and over.

To take away the xp penalty would make the value of hitting 100 almost meaningless. As it stands, it mostly just means that someone was relatively careful. So while it may not be all that meaningful to some, for others they still take pride in that accomplishment.
Yep, totally over league play.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info