Tarke Cat's Tencent Video

"
k1rage wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Until they post the patch notes... and then it will pop up every so often for a month or two. Then one post quarterly should cover it.

Actually if the "1k hours" line had/has the life it does, it doesn't bode well, and frankly I don't care anyways.

All GGG's goodwill(whatever was left) is gone. I hope Chris enjoys being a millionaire in a country (including Australia) that is worried about China's very real influence. What a disgusting, disgraceful move.

Oh come now its a bummer but calling it a disgrace or disgusting is a little over the top

Chris worked hard and now he got paid

No question he worked hard. He deserved to get paid. No question. But fuck man, he said he/they did their extensive research and this was the result?

Jesus take half the money offered from a different company, or get a mutual partner and sleep well at night.

I'm sure others have a different take, but you won't be convincing me Tencent was best way to go. Impossible.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
im sure he sleeps just fine

I dont see any any key!
"
DarkNRG wrote:
I don't pre-order, I don't do early access....

I was a gamer long before gaming turned into what it is now.

trust me, im 36 years old Ive been gaming on pc since the original wolfenstien in the early 90s, I dont do either of those things either on principal, I know where youre coming from and its not that I dont sympathise.

"
erdelyii wrote:

"Tencent is the main player in the implementation of China's social score program. tl;dr it's like a credit score except who you talk to, associate with, what you read and your general disposition towards government decisions are all factored in and it can and will be used to block out people not only from loans and credit cards but healthcare, tax exemptions and basic services like mass transit. Quite literally they are using this system to economically and socially murder dissidents to the Chinese government." ArmaMalum

sure, theyre economically and socially murdering opposition. Its horrible, I think everyone here would stop that if they could.

Heres the thing, where do we live? How many of us live in the usa, the uk, france etc?

Since the early 90s there was a period when Iraq wasnt suffering under the weight of direct guns n bombs warfare taking place on its streets. There was a gap between the first and second gulf wars, the second of which left an ongoing civil and terrorist lead war thats lingering. What happened during that period between the wars?

half a million iraq children died as the result of economic sanctions imposed on their country by the west. We stopped bombing them, and then essentially put the country under a trade siege enforced by western airforce power which denied the war torn civilians of iraq things like basic medical supplies. As an opening move in the first gulf war we strategically destroyed the countries infrastructure to disable its ability to wage war, its food supplies, its fuel supplies, its hospitals etc. After the war we then blockaded food and medical supplies entering the country as a form of punishment and sat there watching while half a million children died from basic curable things like diarrhoea and our mainstream media just ignored it, ignored telling us even though all the high profile international aid agencies were going crazy over it and making reports showing what was going on.

This is what was happening duriong the period of the last 30 years that we wernt blowing them up, that we wernt using missiles, uranium shells, weaponry banned under international war laws etc to smash that entire area of the world to pieces leaving millions of men, women and children dead. The american, british and french governments have now been arming isis, both directly and through saudi arabia to wage war in the middle east, to attack countries like syria. They armed terrorists to attack the government of libya, overthrew it which lead the country into a terrible state, these 2 actions causing the mass immigration crisis in europe.

How much blood is on the hands of the usa and the uk in recent history? More than any other countries on the planet right now, socially and economically killing people? Weve been literally killing people by the millions, theres areas of iraq so radioactive from use of uranium shells etc that they wont be habitable for 1000s of years, where human and animal babies alike are being born with horrific mutations like something out of a fallout game.

But all of us living in these western countries, we give money to megacorps in bed with our governments almost daily. See its not a case of I dont care, its a case of being informed enough to actually see that Im not deluding myself into thinking Im not indirectly taking part in this horror, because I am, we all are. Is that defeatist? What it is, its realist, we are already defeated, if this is a war its a war we lost the day we were born. Im sorry if that doesnt sit well with people, but the money you dont spend on PoE is going to be spent somewhere else going to another corp owned by a megacorp in bed with the worst kind of powermad murders in charge of a country, and youll be taking it out of a bank that is every bit as evil at its core in order to spend it, who hold all ur money and use it to bring misery and inequality to the world every day for their own profit. You either see it for the inescapable reality it is or you dont, thats the only divide.

"
LowBudget780 wrote:

You and I live in the machine but their are plenty of people on this planet who don't. People who volunteer to fight terrorist groups, hackers who help people communicate under totalitarian regimes, reporters who live in Latin America and write negative articles about drug cartels, guerilla militias, government whistleblowers etc..

all those people still live in the machine, they still spend money that goes to the hands of megacorps, they still operate within a global financial framework of corruption, oppression and mass murder which they are a part of. Im glad they do what they do, Im glad they help people where they can, but those reporters still type their articles out on computers that contain components made from scare metals mined by children in africa under horrible conditions and distribute it via internet networks owned and run by companies like tencent etc etc. For all the work people like that put in around the globe they like all of us still live in, take part in and contribute to a world wide system that continues to slide into this horror essentially unhindered by their efforts when you look at the larger scale picture.

not giving $100 to GGG, of which maybe $8 would go to tencent changes only one thing, the feeling of self justification in the individual spending that money. I know that sounds harsh and defeatist, but its true, that is the inescapable reality.

"
DarkNRG wrote:
Might not be the time and place for this but aren't all governments authoritarian on some level? I mean from my stance they are and we've more or less just accepted it.

ultimately yes, and when those days come around where we can put a vote in the box or whatever to attempt to change that then we should. But yes, they are, and the banking + media + megacorp framework surrounding those governments is now so entrenched that the only way out, if there ever is a way out, is through. Does not donating to poe help that cause? I dont believe it does.

I dont believe china wants to be where it is, I dont think they want the world to become 1984, I think theyre trying to get from A to C and that means going through B, thats where they are at. We in the west went through our own B too, and none of us plan to stop at C or D either, the worlds evolving. I have faith we will get there, get somewhere we can be proud of eventually, but its not gonna be in our lifetimes and its not going to be everyone holding hands in the flower garden along the way. As horrible as the machine we live in is, its sustaining the human race and giving us a platform to progress from.

“the whole system looks absurd, which it may well be, but it built these roads”
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
xMustard wrote:

see, thing is most people that say stuff like this just go shopping at walmart and such.

yeah, lets be real here, if you have a pc and are on the internet making statements its probably safe to say youre not living in a hand made cabin in the woods completely off the grid of society. That means its almost certain you give money to megacorps who are hand in hand with at least 1 corrupt government, probably extremely regularly.

You live in the machine, theres no escape from it short of going full into the wild style crazy. Boycott supermarkets and buy food at small stores? Ok what food are you buying? Cocacola products? Something made by a company whos owned by a company whos owned by a mega corp? probably. You really going ham on the principals and only eating food bought direct from farmers, you only eat food that is grown in your own country locally and only eat it in season? Cool, so where do they buy their farm machines, where do they buy the fuel for those machines? They drilling for their own oil and processing it or is the money you give them then being used to buy products from megacorps?...

and this money you use to buy stuff, you store that in a bank by any chance?...

trust me I have no love for the machine, Id tear it down and make something new if I could, but I cant, none of us can. There is no escape where you still get to be on the internet playing games and eating a diverse range of enjoyable food etc. You give GGG the indie devs money, you think any of that money was spent in macdonalds? you think that money wasnt put into a bank that was probably owned by a bigger bank that was probably up to its neck in murky bullshit?

Last edited by Scythos on May 23, 2018, 3:08:53 PM
It is pretty basic. As long as GGG keeps creating a fun game I will keep playing it and supporting it. If I see a sign of interfering from Tencent that affects the game in the direction of p2w or design that doesn't suit my playstyle I will end the support and move on.

Having that said. One league that doesn't suit me is not such a sign. I didn't enjoy Beastiary but I realise not all leagues can satisfy my preferences for gameplay.

I am concerned, but happy for Chris and co. They now have money to invest in new projects when they feel they have reached their goal with Path of Exile.
"
arknath wrote:
It is pretty basic. As long as GGG keeps creating a fun game I will keep playing it and supporting it. If I see a sign of interfering from Tencent that affects the game in the direction of p2w or design that doesn't suit my playstyle I will end the support and move on.

Having that said. One league that doesn't suit me is not such a sign. I didn't enjoy Beastiary but I realise not all leagues can satisfy my preferences for gameplay.

I am concerned, but happy for Chris and co. They now have money to invest in new projects when they feel they have reached their goal with Path of Exile.

Pretty much! To add to this, I never purchased support packs so much for GGG, but for the developers who rely on GGG making money for them to have jobs. That really doesn't change. If transactions don't continue, GGG becomes unprofitable and the lose their jobs.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
only idiots call developers "ressources"
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
DarkNRG wrote:
I don't pre-order, I don't do early access....

I was a gamer long before gaming turned into what it is now.

trust me, im 36 years old Ive been gaming on pc since the original wolfenstien in the early 90s, I dont do either of those things either on principal, I know where youre coming from and its not that I dont sympathise.

"
erdelyii wrote:

"Tencent is the main player in the implementation of China's social score program. tl;dr it's like a credit score except who you talk to, associate with, what you read and your general disposition towards government decisions are all factored in and it can and will be used to block out people not only from loans and credit cards but healthcare, tax exemptions and basic services like mass transit. Quite literally they are using this system to economically and socially murder dissidents to the Chinese government." ArmaMalum

sure, theyre economically and socially murdering opposition. Its horrible, I think everyone here would stop that if they could.

Heres the thing, where do we live? How many of us live in the usa, the uk, france etc?

Since the early 90s there was a period when Iraq wasnt suffering under the weight of direct guns n bombs warfare taking place on its streets. There was a gap between the first and second gulf wars, the second of which left an ongoing civil and terrorist lead war thats lingering. What happened during that period between the wars?

half a million iraq children died as the result of economic sanctions imposed on their country by the west. We stopped bombing them, and then essentially put the country under a trade siege enforced by western airforce power which denied the war torn civilians of iraq things like basic medical supplies. As an opening move in the first gulf war we strategically destroyed the countries infrastructure to disable its ability to wage war, its food supplies, its fuel supplies, its hospitals etc. After the war we then blockaded food and medical supplies entering the country as a form of punishment and sat there watching while half a million children died from basic curable things like diarrhoea and our mainstream media just ignored it, ignored telling us even though all the high profile international aid agencies were going crazy over it and making reports showing what was going on.

This is what was happening duriong the period of the last 30 years that we wernt blowing them up, that we wernt using missiles, uranium shells, weaponry banned under international war laws etc to smash that entire area of the world to pieces leaving millions of men, women and children dead. The american, british and french governments have now been arming isis, both directly and through saudi arabia to wage war in the middle east, to attack countries like syria. They armed terrorists to attack the government of libya, overthrew it which lead the country into a terrible state, these 2 actions causing the mass immigration crisis in europe.

How much blood is on the hands of the usa and the uk in recent history? More than any other countries on the planet right now, socially and economically killing people? Weve been literally killing people by the millions, theres areas of iraq so radioactive from use of uranium shells etc that they wont be habitable for 1000s of years, where human and animal babies alike are being born with horrific mutations like something out of a fallout game.

But all of us living in these western countries, we give money to megacorps in bed with our governments almost daily. See its not a case of I dont care, its a case of being informed enough to actually see that Im not deluding myself into thinking Im not indirectly taking part in this horror, because I am, we all are. Is that defeatist? What it is, its realist, we are already defeated, if this is a war its a war we lost the day we were born. Im sorry if that doesnt sit well with people, but the money you dont spend on PoE is going to be spent somewhere else going to another corp owned by a megacorp in bed with the worst kind of powermad murders in charge of a country, and youll be taking it out of a bank that is every bit as evil at its core in order to spend it, who hold all ur money and use it to bring misery and inequality to the world every day for their own profit. You either see it for the inescapable reality it is or you dont, thats the only divide.

"
LowBudget780 wrote:

You and I live in the machine but their are plenty of people on this planet who don't. People who volunteer to fight terrorist groups, hackers who help people communicate under totalitarian regimes, reporters who live in Latin America and write negative articles about drug cartels, guerilla militias, government whistleblowers etc..

all those people still live in the machine, they still spend money that goes to the hands of megacorps, they still operate within a global financial framework of corruption, oppression and mass murder which they are a part of. Im glad they do what they do, Im glad they help people where they can, but those reporters still type their articles out on computers that contain components made from scare metals mined by children in africa under horrible conditions and distribute it via internet networks owned and run by companies like tencent etc etc. For all the work people like that put in around the globe they like all of us still live in, take part in and contribute to a world wide system that continues to slide into this horror essentially unhindered by their efforts when you look at the larger scale picture.

not giving $100 to GGG, of which maybe $8 would go to tencent changes only one thing, the feeling of self justification in the individual spending that money. I know that sounds harsh and defeatist, but its true, that is the inescapable reality.

"
DarkNRG wrote:
Might not be the time and place for this but aren't all governments authoritarian on some level? I mean from my stance they are and we've more or less just accepted it.

ultimately yes, and when those days come around where we can put a vote in the box or whatever to attempt to change that then we should. But yes, they are, and the banking + media + megacorp framework surrounding those governments is now so entrenched that the only way out, if there ever is a way out, is through. Does not donating to poe help that cause? I dont believe it does.

I dont believe china wants to be where it is, I dont think they want the world to become 1984, I think theyre trying to get from A to C and that means going through B, thats where they are at. We in the west went through our own B too, and none of us plan to stop at C or D either, the worlds evolving. I have faith we will get there, get somewhere we can be proud of eventually, but its not gonna be in our lifetimes and its not going to be everyone holding hands in the flower garden along the way. As horrible as the machine we live in is, its sustaining the human race and giving us a platform to progress from.

This
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

Heres the thing, where do we live? How many of us live in the usa, the uk, france etc? ...

...As horrible as the machine we live in is, its sustaining the human race and giving us a platform to progress from.

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I think that fundamentally, I am disappointed that a small, NZ Company with good ethics has been sold to a megacorporation with the ethics that go with that. But Tencent doesn't own anything but that, so it's not as though there can't be a win for future games Chris and Co make independently with all that money.

I'll still play PoE and give it a chance to see how it all goes, just getting my head around it all.

I don't think that the machine will sustain us very much longer at this rate. It doesn't account for the finite nature of resources, and assumes that the masses can cope with the stresses - mental, physical, emotional - that come with the system.

Indeed, the West is very much bread and circuses and hypocrisy. BUT there is intellectual freedom that I do feel Chinese citizens are being denied and I would not wish to live in their current social credit score reality. I wouldn't want to live in the USA either, though.

Sociopaths are generally estimated to make up 3-5% of the population. That's a lot of people worldwide. Most are small-time, and all gravitate towards where their talents lie. There's a spectrum, and the most extreme, the most charismatic and intelligent - they are having a fine old time (as they always have).

"
Here are the top ten jobs that attract sociopaths, according to author Kevin Dutton:

1. CEO
With the heartless greed and sadistic ambition displayed on Wall street since the 2008 financial collapse, it may come as no surprise that the first place on the list goes to the modern-age equivalent of a pharaoh. Capitalist positions of leadership offer power, autonomy, command, and status — a perfect battlefield for the ambitious and ruthless to compete. Where once pyramids littered the dessert in tribute to vain kings, we now have skyscrapers and corporate logos filling the clouds above...

I'd like to see us not reward sociopathic behaviour quite so much. One day, maybe.

Interesting times, as the saying goes.

Last edited by erdelyii on May 23, 2018, 4:50:20 PM
"
erdelyii wrote:

yeah, I agree with pretty much everything you said there. the way our society is set up the worst kind of people rise to the top, and were burning through resources faster than they can be replaced. Something has to change or were gonna drive the bus over a cliff, its a fked up situation for sure.

What ur saying there feeds into stuff like sexism etc too right? Theres a big question about women not having good representation in the board rooms and executive slots at major money companies, hence the pay gaps. But the reality is that theres just not enough of the right kind of psychopaths among them, theyre just not insanely selfish and amoral enough as a group to rise to the top in that sort of culture.

Thing with the west, I think a lot of the people at the top would like to treat us like china does its people, but they cant, and they dont rly need to. I think were an example of where everything is going, our societies are further along that evolutionary track where eventually you dont rly need to be quite that insane with the control in order to keep stability and you cant rly get away with it even if u wanted to. Chinas going through some things, I dont think living as a poor person during the industrial revolution in a place like the uk was a very nice experience either, africa is gonna have to go through some things too over time. But as long as we find a way to be continue to exist in a modern sense without such need for oil etc you got to figure theres gonna come a time when everyone moves past this.

The oil is so fked up tho, if you just take a look around yourself right now at how many things are made from plastic in the room you are in... when we start to run out of this stuff wtf are we gonna do?

alarm bells.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info