Tarke Cat's Tencent Video

"

Oh come now its a bummer but calling it a disgrace or disgusting is a little over the top

Chris worked hard and now he got paid

"

No question he worked hard. He deserved to get paid. No question. But fuck man, he said he/they did their extensive research and this was the result?

Jesus take half the money offered from a different company, or get a mutual partner and sleep well at night.

I'm sure others have a different take, but you won't be convincing me Tencent was best way to go. Impossible.

Although I understand the sentiment because of all the allegations against Tencent on these boards, but Tencent is the biggest gaming company in the world. Essentially, GGG just got picked up by Man United. They literally just jumped onto the most dominant organization in their business, and you think they should have passed on it?
Last edited by Reichugo232323 on May 24, 2018, 1:27:48 AM
Go watch Mathil's Tencent video. He summed it up amazingly well for all of you who don't care about Tencent. Learn from him.
Have you guys noticed that the level-headed ones who brings concern about Tencent but in a fair manner are the supporters themselves and the obnoxious one who loves to answer in rhetoric and condescending manner are the ones who doesn't even have a single supporter title pack in the forums? It's always the "free-to-play" players who doesn't spend a dime the loudest and complains a lot. No wonder FFXIV got bashed when they considered the option of going free to play. Keeping the fools out.
"
Staparu wrote:
Have you guys noticed that the level-headed ones who brings concern about Tencent but in a fair manner are the supporters themselves and the obnoxious one who loves to answer in rhetoric and condescending manner are the ones who doesn't even have a single supporter title pack in the forums? It's always the "free-to-play" players who doesn't spend a dime the loudest and complains a lot. No wonder FFXIV got bashed when they considered the option of going free to play. Keeping the fools out.

Huh. Pretty sure you just got called out Charan. I expect three essays worth of rhetorics as a reply!
"
"
Staparu wrote:

Huh. Pretty sure you just got called out Charan. I expect three essays worth of rhetorics as a reply!

You're not Charan and it looks like I hit the bullseye. Charan is level-headed as well. Compare his posts to yours. Now go cry me a pacific ocean.
"
Staparu wrote:
"
"
Staparu wrote:

You're not Charan and it looks like I hit the bullseye. Charan is level-headed as well. Compare his posts to yours. Now go cry me a pacific ocean.

Oh. But Charan's basically the only one who excels in rhetoric, doesn't have visible support packs and could be considered obnoxious. The other obnoxious people are pretty much all from the opposing faction oO

I had to double check the translation for rhetoric, and I have to say that my posts do not qualify falling under that term. I thank you for the praise, but find myself unsuitable to accept it~
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Did Tencent find his price or was he waiting for for someone to along to offer it? Riddle me that one, Batman...

Based on Chris' reddit post, he said they were approached by others but theirs include users requiring to sign up to their services. Here comes Tencent not offering any of those and assuring creative freedom. So maybe a mixed of both. Tencent found his price and Chris was waiting all along for someone to offer it. Not a fact, just my assumption.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I saw GGG was working with them to distribute in China I raised warning flags, as the memories of the disastrous Garena deal were yet to seriously fade.

same, their original intention has been to never have a distributor and garena didn't really fell into that category as it was only a regional thing. disastrous? i don't know how the contracts has been designed in case of a cancelation of the russian service.

tencent also was a regional thing but if the free to play/no pay to win idea failed it was at that point they implemented payToWin for them.

principles are for losers, i think ggg quite underestimated of just ignored the idealism of some of their supporters. is it still a majority? i don't know. they attracted alot of those "i just wanna look like a huge supporter with mtxbox stuff" and "don't spend money on a game that gives me the same stuff for just doing challenges" type of players.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
maybe it was just being realistic at the end of the day. Maybe they jsut finally accepted that they had lost creative control already, it had become a game that wasnt what they set out to make and they were already powerless to really change its direction. They dont like the speed situation for example, the moveskill situation, but they believe that if they drastically change it to be how they want it to be they will lose a lot of players and it will irreparably hurt the game. So theyre already prisoners, theyre already slaves to someone elses vision who turn up to work every day and develop someone elses game.

This also applies to tencent, if tencent want the game to continue making money they also have to accept that you have to give the mob what they want. The ownership is just paper, you please the mob or the game dies, if the support stops rolling in to keep it going it dies if GGG are in charge, if tencent are in charge it either dies at the same point or changes business model. Only difference is now if it dies chris and co dont lose it all, right? They get to essentially freeze the games worth to them at its pinnacle, right now, and get a cash injection that can hopefully accelerate some needed changes to armour against it slipping.

Maybe, maybe not, but its a possibility, it could just be that from a realistic position theres no reason not to sell the controlling shares. It doesnt have to be the plan all along, it doesnt have to be them finally giving out and going against the moral position for the lure of big bucks, it could just be a purely logical, rational appraisal of the reality they have found themselves in. In business when you have 100+ staff and a million players in your hands and youre responsible for them ultimately reality has to come before idealism right? you dont have the luxury of bring able to indulge your dreams of how you wish things were.

"the art of the possible" as the saying goes.

The game, against all odds, is a massive success. Is GGGs vision a massive success tho? It could be argued that their vision was not a success, and maybe the odds were right, the game is a success because GGG allowed their vision to fail? Perhaps were just looking at the game being a success and them selling it, and that brings certain conclusions, but maybe were just not differentiating, were looking at the commercial success of the game and then the idealistic selling of the company, rather than looking at the idealistic failure of the game followed by the idealistic selling, which makes more sense, and then the commercial success and commercial selling, which again makes more sense, both in terms of chris being the guy we think he is, a really good guy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info