Tencent & Charan

"
Perq wrote:
I don't have a bias towards DE. Guys working there used to make awesome games. But at the same time they have no idea how to make f2p work in 2018.
I mean, they know in a sense - you are a good example of how you can make an illusion of good f2p model. But when you actually take the facts and look at it in a skeptical way, you'll see that it is no different that mobile shittery.

Ps. Harder than usual... lol. Charan, I sure hope you're aware what kind of reputation you hold around, well, pretty much anywhere. Please, don't try that kind of thing on me, it won't work very well.

Imagine if you could buy strong unique/rare items from other players in poe for GGG gold. That's essentially what warframe is. Is it p2w? Totally. Does it matter in that game? Absolutely not.

Even if you don't pay for those strong items, you can easily get them. It's a lot harder in PoE. Also wf is just too damn casual. It doesn't matter if you are strong or not since most missions are way below your power level with items you can get or craft without paying anything. There is only one daily mission which is lvl 60-100. Once you are done with that single mission per day, the rest is like at most lvl 35. You can get the regular missions to high levels if you stay long enough in them but there is no real benefit to it, just the extra challenge. PoE's difficulty (even the current one, which is laughable compared to how it was in the past) is brutal compared to warframe.

In direct contrast, poe's rng and high difficulty nature makes every little advantage you can get borderline p2w. For that reason i think that wf's model is less p2w than poe's even if it looks like it isn't when judge it by poe's standards.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Last edited by Pyrokar on May 21, 2018, 6:05:43 AM
This is a scary change, I'm glad to have all your insights on the matter though.

I can't see ever buying a supporter pack for the sake of supporting them ever again, but we all need the newest stash tabs right? Best of luck to GGG's future endeavors!
It's scary how uninformed a lot of people are regarding this, and I don't know why you bother asking someone like Charan regarding this since he clearly doesn't know what he is talking about.

Chris and co. have already stated that they are not leaving GGG and that they are going stay with the company long-term. Tencent has a history of a hands off approach with their western developers, and there is no reason to expect that their dealings with GGG will be any different.

Tencent Games' interest is primarily in growing their Chinese market share. Their buisness model revolves around long-term growth of their subsidiaries, they get in early on up-and-coming games and buy them out, let the developers do their magic and then they publish the games for the Chinese market. Their western developers have arguably flourished under Tencent

People are doomsaying way too much, I'm getting PTSD flashbacks from Xbox one announcement. If you look at what Tencent Games actually does, their history of dealing with western companies and think about the entire situation rationally you'll see that this isn't the downfall of Path of Exile or GGG.

Nothing will change. This is not a situation that is good or bad, it's just neutral.
What is a charan is it another oil company
I think the problem is that I am aware of what Tencent does as a company, in their marketshare, and I would really rather not fund that any more then I realistically have to. And I don't intend to. That's about all it boils down to, for me.
It's not like I have more than a flake of skin left in this game anyway, but I agree with Charan here. This is a cash-out. There's no lack of examples of companies that shift focus from The Company to The Shareholders, and immediately tank in terms of quality.

The changes will be slow, but things will change. PTW is coming. I'd guess you'll see it by next year. All good things must come to an end.

/pessimism
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
What is a charan is it another oil company

I fkn lold xD.
Look on my works ye mighty, and despair.

Harvest league oh you are beautiful.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/companies/app/ui/pages/companies/1887410/shareholdings

First posted by I_NO, but she may have gotten it elsewhere. Either way, that's a hard statistic right there.

80% ownership by Tencent is making this much easier to process. That's not a bailout. That's a cash-out.

It really is time for Chris to get his license so he can drive that Ferrari.

I'm going to miss all this. Lots of memories. Lots. And more often than not, it was good.

Bye Felicia - thanks for the money. You won't be missed.
eric stepped back as a director?

and there are two new tencent guys in the board

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
鬼殺し wrote:
...This is a very strange thing to announce mere days after trying to drum up interest in a NZ-based November convention, which was always going to struggle due to location and timing.

On the other hand, maybe they needed some of this cash to do a con in the first place. Events like Blizzcon are not cheap.

Yeah uh for the record it does bump my degree of interest down a notch. I probably wouldn't have signed up for email alerts for the con if I knew about this buyout in the first place :/

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info