How we Made PATH OF EXILE: ROYALE

I really like the idea of using this game mode for special occasions. That will help keep it special and not just for people to get bored of after a few weeks.

Additionally though, I would encourage balance changes, because as it was, I did not personally have any fun playing it. I'm open to playing it more if I was confident in it being balanced.

SUGGESTION: Perhaps if kept only for special occasions, then maybe there can also be a rotation of skills available? One holiday can be melee-only, the next could be ranged, or magic, and so on.
"Learn well the lessons that Wraeclast will teach you, Witch. It is your only hope of finding your way home."
I suggest bringing it back for special events or adding some Royale events into the race season.

However, I would devote little time to balancing it further or developing new content for it. I don't want to see considerable dev time invested towards Royale.
It was a fun game mode. Good to know it'll return in some form along with balances. I'd personally like to see the matches somehow last longer.
IGN:Lukav_Delmarion
Didn't get to play Royale mode as was away with family but it looked like a lot of fun.

Not sure if it's worth creating a whole separate mode for it as I reckon the battle royale 'bubble' will burst fairly soon.

However, I think it could be used to make doing Leo missions a bit more popular. He is, after all, the PvP master.

Just my penny's worth....
I vote for more pvp content. Find a way to keep Royal. It's a voided short-term (and set-length) league with a max 100 players, so there may be a way to distribute load amongst player resources to keep costs down, rather than rely exclusively on servers, i.e. partial peer to peer (or designated authoritative peers), although chat would certainly be limited to local.

In Canada I'm paying under $80/month for 1000/30 unlimited internet and I'd happily host a royal game myself when I queued up if that was an option.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
Last edited by Vhlad on Apr 3, 2018, 9:35:19 PM
Plot twist.. the whole Bestiality league is the joke.
Standalone game mode!

FPS Royales train is already gone. But to bring Royale into RPG element was something what nobody haven't ever done it. Ever since it was made, was huge news everywhere. It was new and if anything you should continue with this path. Do it before someone else takes the idea.

- More players for the PoE
- More money for the GGG

Fingers crossed.
Yes please bring it back as a permanent mode.

If you want to limit it maybe add account bound "royale orb" drops in the normal game that we can use to play Royale.

Another interesting concept might be a royale with characters we have built in the regular game
Gear drops on death but is not lost nor does the final player standing get to keep any loot...

Winners get...maybe a cool hideout totem displaying royale wins
I've lost control of the controls...
Jesus take the wheel"
RAizQT during Kammel HC race
Royale was great fun, thanks y'all! I see 2 effective ways to incorporate it into PoE longterm. Using Royale as a limited duration event is the easy choice, with only minor adjustments needed for balance. I see it as the best vehicle for moving away from the "duel" mentality and build out the PvP content. Linking Royale with Leo as a queue-able pvp mode with a daily quest added to his rotation helps fix his black-sheep status amongst the other Forasken Masters.
I think the people who are worried about dev time being directed away from the core or league aspect of PoE are possibly underestimating how much interest, new players and revenue a fully fledged and supported version of this game/mode could bring to GGG.

I have played PoE consistently since August 2012 (Kiwi is always mapping alongside me) and I have to say the royale for me was one of if not the most fun I've had in PoE.

If there was a way to effectively monitise then hopefully even the people who don't enjoy playing or watching this mode could see how it could be good for all of PoE and GGG.

One way that it could be funded could be something that I have heard discussed with regards to bringing back the old school racing type event/seasons. Crowd funding.

Crowd fund this GGG.

Come up with a figure that you think is reasonable to get a fully realised and balanced version or variants of this into the game and let the players stump up the cash.

If the goal is hit then make it.

If not then the interest isn't there.

This will be effective in easing the concerns of the people who are worried about the diversion of resources from the main game as well as being a big seal of approval that this mode is indeed worth pursing for those who want more of it.

Monitise it with a character creation screen where each game is started with that character with mtx pre applied to gear slots, weapon effects, pets, footprints and so on. Look at how much people pay for skins in other f2p or even box buy games of this type.

This mode is great to play and great to watch already, a little polish or a dedicated design schedule could produce something that may become bigger than PoE currently is.
I stream daily at twitch.tv/CellTank

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info