Important: How We're Changing Capturing

I'd rather no dead capture nets, or at least make them UNGODLY expensive.. Otherwise it trivializes the whole capturing aspect.. It just becomes an afterthought. :/
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
Just throwing my two cents out there, but it occurred to me it would be possible to preserve most of the intention of the system if instead of going full pokemon mechanics and capturing enemies when their health is low, nets instead tag enemies for capture for a short time interval. If the player kills them in that interval, they capture the beast but if the timer runs out then the beast enrages.

This would make it easier to capture beasts that you're likely to one-shot since you can tag them before engagement while still making you time your nets when a sturdier beast is low on health so the timer doesn't expire. I imagine the timer would be dependent on net strength and the level of the beast, so that the interval gets smaller as the net power goes down or beast level goes up.

Ideally, I think it would be cool if this kept every net useful for capturing every beast, allowing you to capture high level beasts with weak nets if you're skilled enough to kill them within a few frames or give more casual players a chance to catch low level beasts over a longer interval by using high level nets.

One potential development hiccup with this approach is that it probably would need to jettison the stun (the monster is just tagged, but otherwise moves and acts normally or it might be exploitable) so it would need to be evaluated if the current net capture animation can still be used or if new art resources are needed.

Also, players that have builds that tend to kill enemies off screen before they can even see them probably won't be helped much by a system like this.

P.S. I did not have time to read all the other responses here so I'm totally sorry if something like this (or exactly this) has already been proposed. It does seem like a pretty obvious solution, so it wouldn't surprise me if lots of others thought of it independently.
Last edited by Dramatis_Persona on Mar 3, 2018, 9:29:38 PM
In my opinion, when the beasts are in low life, they would automatically have to calm down in order to capture them, without going around so much with the subject
After having played the league a bit (starting maps), I feel like I have to answer this thread:

First of all, capturing is currently really annoying and it's great that you are changing it.

But giving the option to capture dead beasts is (in my opinion) a very bad idea. The idea of the league is seeing a beast that you might want to capture and adapting your gameplay accordingly: taking the time to throw a net (which might be dangerous sometimes, following the risk/reward principal), not killing everything instantly and mindlessly.

The 3 seconds capture window should accomplish this. With 3 seconds to kill the monster you don't feel punished for missing the perfect capture window (because of too much dps, or minions, or culling strike, or...). But you still have to find the right target, and find the safety to throw the net. And if you don't have enough damages, you still have to wait for a good moment to throw the net.

But with the second proposed change, you have none of this. You just see an icon on your map. You don't care, you rush in, kill everything like in every other league, and then while looting you throw the net at the ground, not even searching for your target.
What is even the point of the league anymore? Where is the gameplay?
How those is it even make sense to capture a dead beast, revive it, and kill it a second time (but this time it's for good!)(ok, I know, gameplay comes first...)

I understand that it's great to just run around and kill everything while feeling overpowered. I love it too.
But this is PoE, the game where you have to deserve your loot. You want mf? then you are weaker. You want more quantity in your map? Then it's harder, and more expensive.

You want to capture a beast? then you must adapt your gameplay.
This league is changing the way we play (even it's a small change), and that's why it's looking great so far.

PS: Writing in english at 4 am is not my greatest idea, sorry for the mistakes
"
Dr1MaR wrote:
GGG i m sorry but I hope this is a good lesson for you guys on how to not make a league. We don't need to capture any beasts, this game is not meant for that. Just better polish what you already have and focus on existing game's mechanics instead of trying to make something new that nobody asked for.

Hey man, at least they are giving it effort to fix their product to the way we want it. They listen to what we have to say and respond very fast!
(Steam)MickeyDankMouse
(Xbox)MickeyDankMouse
(PSN)MickeyDankMouse
https://steamcommunity.com/id/MickeyDankMouse/
-MickeyDankMouse™-
Targeting is my main issue I hit the net button, and it ends up getting some monster i don't want then the one I was going for dies. I Don't like the idea of collecting dead monsters. Build for the league or play a standard league.
Last edited by cyconet on Mar 3, 2018, 11:13:47 PM
Here's another thing that imo needs doing Chris/Dev team,

(I'm sure someone had to mention this already, but I'm kinda lazy and it's late to look up atm)

Currently when you DO capture a beast, the nice big text box that tells you all the wonderful new things you can make is nice. However, it's truly annoying. One of two things needs to happen. It needs at least a toggle,or it could be made smaller and moved down so it's not almost blocking our game view, or both.

Whichever is easier for you guys. Thanks in advance!

Edit: This whole capture thing would be a little easier if there was a way to "tab target" onto a mob, so in my personal case and perhaps others... it's easier to let a minion build do it's thing while your casting and yet still can pick out the mob you need in the crowd to net. Sometimes there are other mobs around it, and I feel like I'm gonna net the wrong one, or can't target it because I'm trying keep myself and minions alive and flowing.
Last edited by Dreyloch666 on Mar 3, 2018, 11:25:00 PM
"
Dettlaf wrote:
capturing dead beasts ? WHY ?

This.

Its not capturing if they are already dead, it seems to defeat the entire purpose of the league. Now they are just another item dropped by the monster, that you need another item to pick up.

I think i'll skip this league and just play with the ascendancy changes on standard for a while, it gets tedious spending 2/3's of the league trying to get my gear back again each time if there's nothing interesting going on.

Leagues are pushing more and more towards needing specific DPS builds and getting less fun in the process. Can't reliably kill some uber boss in 1-2 seconds? bad build.
Last edited by Asmosis on Mar 3, 2018, 11:58:15 PM
"
HeyCarl wrote:
Honestly, I think the first solution is the only one you need. The capture mechanic just needs to feel less clunky and we're good. The dead creature capture seems to ruin the spirit of the league.

I second this.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Seriously, I need a Capturing Curse (Cursed enemy has x% to be captured) + Blasphemy.

Or at least the net can automatically target the rarest bitch without me targeting.
There's that snake that run too fast and summon a shitload of snakes that chase after me to mess up my target.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info