Something is wrong with Map Drop rates...

While I am not a fan of the new quantity values of map mods (and associated higher dependence on chis/zana mods/frags) what really shits me is the overbearing impact of sextant blocking and the lack of non trade access to sextants (vendor recipe, for example).
Last edited by ladish on Jan 10, 2018 6:16:16 PM
This is by far the worst map drop league in a very long time for me
Something is not right, and this opinion has been said by many of my fellow guildmates.
Maps drop but of a much lower map tier.
Getting a return or even a +1 (let alone a +2) is extremely rare for me and my friends.
157 / 157 atlas; purchased most of my red tier and run most maps solo or with 1 or 2 friends. Just a little vent/rant.

I've not tracked my experience as diligently but it very much feels like map drop rates have been reduced to the point of toil. I am grinding out 100 elder guardians and must purchase 2-3 of the red tier maps each time they spawn, because running an entire quadrant (~15?) of red tier maps will generally net me 5-7 red tier maps (almost all 11s) in return, which are not guaranteed to be in the same quadrant.

I just completed 4x Forge of the Phoenix, 2x Maze of the Minotaur, 1x Lair of the Hydra this morning and netted 1 Excavation, 1 Geode, and 1 Precinct. 7 complete tier 16 maps with 20% quality, ~25% pack size and the Bloodlines map mod (+20% quantity) -- 3 maps in return. I did have 10x Encroaching Darkness cards drop, though, so I got more unique maps from a completed card sets than red tier maps in 7 t16 maps. That's frustrating.
I see a lot of people in this thread jumping to GGG's "defense" (as if they've done something wrong) and rabidly proclaiming that there's nothing off about map drops.

3.1 completely reorganized the Atlas, added, what, 32 maps? and radically altered the way packsize mods are calculated (and while IIQ doesn't affect map drops, obviously packsize will).

...how can there NOT be something different about map drops?

The leap I won't make is to say whether the change is good or bad. But I think there's no denying that something is different this league. It can't not be.
x
Last edited by LowBudget780 on Jan 18, 2018 4:42:34 PM
"
"
Completed 36 ChallengesMiská wrote:

Why do I have 1k red maps in abyss I wonder?

Probably because you play this game for an ungodly amount of hours every single day.

[Removed by Support]

The only hole in your argument, which I agree with by the way, is that GGG have designed their game to be no-lifed, so Miska's argument that map drops are Working As Intended(TM) is technically correct, but irrelevant to those of us with lives.
x
Last edited by LowBudget780 on Jan 18, 2018 4:53:06 PM
Let me correct one possible fallacy: Pack size will surely affect map drops.

There's plenty of evidence that some drops are decided when the instance is created, like Charan's sword or map drops in a Zana Mission to find the map.

We don't know the extent to which map drops are "planned".

Note that I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that "surely" has never proved anything.
"
Completed 24 ChallengesShagsbeard wrote:
Let me correct one possible fallacy: Pack size will surely affect map drops.

There's plenty of evidence that some drops are decided when the instance is created, like Charan's sword or map drops in a Zana Mission to find the map.

We don't know the extent to which map drops are "planned".

Note that I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that "surely" has never proved anything.

Strictly speaking, you are correct, but I think it's reasonable to assume they would, if only because it seems highly unlikely that all map drops are predetermined when the map in which they drop is generated, for two reasons:

1) Maps drop outside of maps, and while maps are procedurally generated, act 5-10 areas are more tightly controlled and less (not zero, but less) procedural, and if map drops were pre-determined I find it likely that they'd be more consistent prior to maps. Sample size here for me is very small, admittedly, but extending some reasonable interpolation tells me it's most likely not the case.

2) Maps drop from enemies that are themselves the product of RNG, and it seems to me to be far too complicated to pre-determine a map drop from a mob that spawned due to a nemesis mod, for example. That's too many layers of procedural generation to be rolled at the onset of a map being opened for the first time.

So it COULD be the case that map drops aren't tied to packsize, but I think it incredibly unlikely. It's much easier for IIQ to not affect maps than it is for packsize to not affect maps.
i am almost level 94, faceroll maps, but i have only got one guardian map drop. started that minotaur map and lost it due to instance crash. i am now running all my duplicate red maps and am almost out of them. i'm at 149 atlas unlock and some maps still haven't dropped. from that 149, i had to buy a significant number of maps to even get anywhere since even in red maps lots of white maps drop.

with the new war for the atlas mechanic where you need specific maps to chase elder around, you can choose between spending lots of currency on map purchases (if anyone even responds to your whispers) or stop caring about your elder spread. to me it appears like the drop rate of low level maps, the concept of elder spread and the added 32 maps all were setup to sell that map tab which i finally had to do because i already had 3 stash tabs full of garbage maps that i may at some point need for elder chasing. good job, i bet your map tab sales are through the roof. last league one tab of red maps was sufficient and i always had plenty of any map i needed.

this will be my last league if the drop rate isn't fixed. i won't sit in t10-12 maps with over 1m shaper dps when i could do t15s np. the map drop rate seems a lot better with even just one person in party, but then it seems that maps only drop for the owner of the map device. surely, map drops could be shared, loot could be set to ffa, but it would be easier to fix the broken mechanic.
Last edited by dachoppa on Jan 13, 2018 7:38:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info