Something is wrong with Map Drop rates...

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Let me correct one possible fallacy: Pack size will surely affect map drops.

There's plenty of evidence that some drops are decided when the instance is created, like Charan's sword or map drops in a Zana Mission to find the map.

We don't know the extent to which map drops are "planned".

Note that I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that "surely" has never proved anything.

Strictly speaking, you are correct, but I think it's reasonable to assume they would, if only because it seems highly unlikely that all map drops are predetermined when the map in which they drop is generated, for two reasons:

1) Maps drop outside of maps, and while maps are procedurally generated, act 5-10 areas are more tightly controlled and less (not zero, but less) procedural, and if map drops were pre-determined I find it likely that they'd be more consistent prior to maps. Sample size here for me is very small, admittedly, but extending some reasonable interpolation tells me it's most likely not the case.

2) Maps drop from enemies that are themselves the product of RNG, and it seems to me to be far too complicated to pre-determine a map drop from a mob that spawned due to a nemesis mod, for example. That's too many layers of procedural generation to be rolled at the onset of a map being opened for the first time.

So it COULD be the case that map drops aren't tied to packsize, but I think it incredibly unlikely. It's much easier for IIQ to not affect maps than it is for packsize to not affect maps.
i am almost level 94, faceroll maps, but i have only got one guardian map drop. started that minotaur map and lost it due to instance crash. i am now running all my duplicate red maps and am almost out of them. i'm at 149 atlas unlock and some maps still haven't dropped. from that 149, i had to buy a significant number of maps to even get anywhere since even in red maps lots of white maps drop.

with the new war for the atlas mechanic where you need specific maps to chase elder around, you can choose between spending lots of currency on map purchases (if anyone even responds to your whispers) or stop caring about your elder spread. to me it appears like the drop rate of low level maps, the concept of elder spread and the added 32 maps all were setup to sell that map tab which i finally had to do because i already had 3 stash tabs full of garbage maps that i may at some point need for elder chasing. good job, i bet your map tab sales are through the roof. last league one tab of red maps was sufficient and i always had plenty of any map i needed.

this will be my last league if the drop rate isn't fixed. i won't sit in t10-12 maps with over 1m shaper dps when i could do t15s np. the map drop rate seems a lot better with even just one person in party, but then it seems that maps only drop for the owner of the map device. surely, map drops could be shared, loot could be set to ffa, but it would be easier to fix the broken mechanic.
Last edited by dachoppa on Jan 13, 2018, 7:38:24 AM
Well continued play has verified to me at least that the drop rate sucks.

Even in the 9-11 range its annoyingly sparse.
To the point that its less and more chore like even to hit the 90-92

Here is what you can do: vaal and run only shaper/elder maps(buy them if you run out). Sell the non-influenced ones. You'll build up a good pool in no time. Elder portals especially drop stuff like motherfuckers.
Last edited by Johny_Snow on Jan 13, 2018, 9:12:47 AM
157/157 and i'm having issues sustaining t14.
To all the people that think this is normal or "right" you are out of your mind if you think anyone would put up with this. There is clearly an issue right now.
With a friend we tried a different approach. Running some spider forests + 1xT11 arachnid tomb in case of lower tier drop and no t12s unlocked (105% atlas completion). He is 46% quantity 36% rarity + bisco's (20%+ 116% increased rarity and 96% quantity). We are sextant blocking and also Zana rolling 8 mod maps for exactly 0 refunds in the past 8 maps.
If you think that this is acceptable then once again you are out of your mind and I stay behind my statement that this is not okay. Running without bisco's the day before that we would get 1 refund in 11 maps with 1/2 arachnid tombs.
Quantity off your gear doesn't help with map drops.
What is annoying me is that I am having difficulties unlocking more red maps. Instead of getting a neighboring locked map, I always get the same old red maps I already unlocked in another branch.May have something to do with the +1/+2 bonus from Atlas Completion.

Or am I expected to rummage through the trades and throw currency at people for the missing red maps? Instructions unclear.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
"
Mythabril wrote:
What is annoying me is that I am having difficulties unlocking more red maps. Instead of getting a neighboring locked map, I always get the same old red maps I already unlocked in another branch.May have something to do with the +1/+2 bonus from Atlas Completion.

Or am I expected to rummage through the trades and throw currency at people for the missing red maps? Instructions unclear.

The trick to avoiding this is to collect all the maps of a tier before you run any of them. As you complete a tier, the maps that aren't cleared become less and less likely to drop. Gathering up a full set before you start is a quicker way to finish it.
"
Supbads wrote:
157/157 and i'm having issues sustaining t14.
To all the people that think this is normal or "right" you are out of your mind if you think anyone would put up with this. There is clearly an issue right now.
With a friend we tried a different approach. Running some spider forests + 1xT11 arachnid tomb in case of lower tier drop and no t12s unlocked (105% atlas completion). He is 46% quantity 36% rarity + bisco's (20%+ 116% increased rarity and 96% quantity). We are sextant blocking and also Zana rolling 8 mod maps for exactly 0 refunds in the past 8 maps.
If you think that this is acceptable then once again you are out of your mind and I stay behind my statement that this is not okay. Running without bisco's the day before that we would get 1 refund in 11 maps with 1/2 arachnid tombs.

Mf doesn't improve map drop rates as mentioned above. When you run maps in a party, the individual party members' Atlas completion also effects map drops.
For real, maps drop rate is not right. Because when you run 5x 140%quanity t14 maps and get not a single t15 drop at 150/157 bonuses, it means something is wrong with this game.
As well as map bosses are unrewardable at all. Noone will ever risk to lose 10% exp at t14-15 map to kill a boss and get 2x rares.
Why not give map bosses increased chance to drop maps?
PoE nowadays looks more and more like a fork server with tons of custom weird experimental stuff rather than original game with carefully thought out balance brough live to players.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info