Season One, Race Event 21: One Week Party

pls change rewards /lifequit
IGN: Bond_SearBond
Yes, the rewards are terrible. I was planning on making another templar for this race but I might not bother.
I'm pretty sure anyone in the top 200 will have more than 3 days /played by the end of this. So unless you plan on playing at least 10 hours a day on average, which frankly is impossible for the average player, you're better off just doing 1 single short race for points.

There are 13 short races during the 1 week race. Picking the 10 shortest ones, you'd spend 18 hours on short races. If you manage to average 4 points each of those 10 races you've already made as much as the #2 player on the 1 week race, in 18 hours!! The #2 player in the one week race will be playing 5+ days for sure. That's 6,6 times the time invested for the same amount of points.

And 4 points per short race is really easy, I've averaged higher and I've still to place top 50 in any race. You could probably push those 18 hours down to less than 10 and still get those 40 points. Any one of the top players could easily get those 40 points in 4-6 hours of short races. Where exactly is the balance here?

So what's left for those of us that have no hope of fighting for a top 20 spot exactly? Do this "for fun"? What makes this "more fun" than making an alt on the regular hardcore league then? Just cause it has a sticker on the side saying "1 week race" we're supposed to automatically enjoy it more? There's no incentive at all. "See how high you can get?", I can do that on the regular hardcore league instead. We have no level caps to reach for. We know we have no chance in hell of getting more than 1-2 points worth of rewards. Why should we bother? Sorry if I'm a bit blunt, but you honestly don't seem to have thought this one through at all.

Good luck to those that participate though.
Last edited by TommiHelm on Feb 28, 2013, 11:53:55 AM
The reward for this race is really not worth doing. Considering that other events are also going on during the week that will get you far more points than this one alone should you make it to the top 20 bracket.

"
Oosband wrote:
No level bracket rewards? What's the point in competing if you're not a top player lol

^

I was excited to have an excuse to make a new char and get rewards for it. No incentive now.
"
TommiHelm wrote:
I'm pretty sure anyone in the top 200 will have more than 3 days /played by the end of this. So unless you plan on playing at least 10 hours a day on average, which frankly is impossible for the average player, you're better off just doing 1 single short race for points.

There are 13 short races during the 1 week race. Picking the 10 shortest ones, you'd spend 18 hours on short races. If you manage to average 4 points each of those 10 races you've already made as much as the #2 player on the 1 week race, in 18 hours!! The #2 player in the one week race will be playing 5+ days for sure. That's 6,6 times the time invested for the same amount of points.

And 4 points per short race is really easy, I've averaged higher and I've still to place top 50 in any race. You could probably push those 18 hours down to less than 10 and still get those 40 points. Any one of the top players could easily get those 40 points in 4-6 hours of short races. Where exactly is the balance here?

So what's left for those of us that have no hope of fighting for a top 20 spot exactly? Do this "for fun"? What makes this "more fun" than making an alt on the regular hardcore league then? Just cause it has a sticker on the side saying "1 week race" we're supposed to automatically enjoy it more? There's no incentive at all. "See how high you can get?", I can do that on the regular hardcore league instead. We have no level caps to reach for. We know we have no chance in hell of getting more than 1-2 points worth of rewards. Why should we bother? Sorry if I'm a bit blunt, but you honestly don't seem to have thought this one through at all.

Good luck to those that participate though.

this^^
"
oBLACKIECHANo wrote:
"
if you changed it to where its based on time played, it would become way more fun and interesting.

Here is the scenario:
1. Started the race, pushed it pretty hard
2. Went to bed around 2am got a good 8 hr sleep
3. wake up, have coffee, check the ladder. See how you're progressing
4. Clock in and plow. You have an idea of your current standing, how much you need to improve, and how much your work has paid off.

Often when you /ladder you see the top 10. If you're the top 10, who knows what your progress is til its over. the 11th spot should be the nth spot where it shows your current standing

so it would look like

1. Nugiyen
2. Kripparian
3. xxxxxxx
4. xxxxxx
130th. Yourself

the excitment builds up, when you finish at night and you find out ur 90th. and then you go to sleep and wake up and find out your back at 150th.

Often times its not worth the time to be able to research your current standing.
Being able to take a minute without feeling like you're just getting further behind is taking a lot of potential fun out of it.

just my 2 cents again.

Just no. 1 week races are 1 week races, not "limited time played for casuals" races. And they shouldn't limit time played in them, or any other race for that matter. What they should do for smaller races is allow somebody to start over a 12hr period and have the timer start for him when the character spawns. Because right now the races are spread over different time zones so much that it's impossible for even hardcore players to get the top prize, as it requires 5 points in 96 races. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that nobody would play enough to get it anyway with the current prize system.

I think you completely misunderstand the reasoning behind his idea of time capping it. It forces a paradigm shift from the current long-term races from that of attrition and sleep deprivation (read: no skill) to one where careful planning, time management, knowledge of the game, and perhaps a bit of luck are the integral and deciding factors on who the winners are (read: skill).

To draw from a bit of the real world competitive games (sports), try to envision one where there is no predetermined time cap or end goal. I can't honestly think of one. Imagine a soccer game where the winner is determined by which team can play the most for 1 week. A football game that lasts 4 days, the winning team not decided upon skill, but by who can stay up the longest and score points while their opponent sleeps.

IGN: Aux
no rewards for attaining a certain level? not gonna do this week race since i know i wont finish high enough to get points... was really looking forward to it but not going to participate now :(
www.twitch.tv/knowfear823

IGN: knowfear
If the reward for the week long races were good people would feel like they have to do it and there would be complaints.

The perceived entitlement is astounding. You want everyone to be able to get the top tier reward? It just makes the rewards worthless and un-unique if everyone has one.

At the moment these are the rewards GGG have decided on

"
Fruitylicious wrote:
If the reward for the week long races were good people would feel like they have to do it and there would be complaints.

The perceived entitlement is astounding. You want everyone to be able to get the top tier reward? It just makes the rewards worthless and un-unique if everyone has one.

At the moment these are the rewards GGG have decided on

Implying the rewards aren't complete shit, worthless, and that people actually want them in the first place.
Last edited by oBLACKIECHANo on Feb 28, 2013, 1:44:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info