Is Path of Exile dead?

just started a few weeks ago because of my brother.
this game seems to be alive.
never got close to diablo, but this game ..ohhh boy.
and even though i kinda... guess picked the build of my duellist i have tons of fun, there is a big marked for everything, in every place are active players

how can such a thing called dead?

I know this kind of posts @TE. Quit playing sometimes you need a break from a game you consumed as much as your air to breath
"
Nephalim wrote:

2.6 marked the death of the poe i once knew and loved when GGG decided to remove melee from the game.

Odd i managed to farm all content this league as meele without issue.
Playing Hardcore at high skill levels.
www.twitch.tv/rukrow
"
Rukrow wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:

2.6 marked the death of the poe i once knew and loved when GGG decided to remove melee from the game.

Farming at 1/2 the speed afer the aoe nerfs. but yes melee is still minimally viable.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
People who are addicted to this game need to back away from it because they start to blurt out depressing news of doom and gloom after grinding the same thing over and over again. Everything will be sunny again when you come back.
This game is healthy, for what it is.

The entire experience, with all the nuanced crap going on that isn't apparent will keep the mass majority of players away. The community is filled with a bunch of elitist players, replying to Global chat and forums with general statements that just echo "Git Gud".

There are truly two types of PoE players: Those who 'get it', and those who don't.

If you get it, the game is too easy. Those players gripe about hardcore being too easy, about being bored with every build, sitting at 40/40 challenges two weeks in.

If you don't, you get too frustrated to get past level 80, have never attempted Guardians, and can't admit that you'd rather play Standard because 3 months is nowhere near enough time to get a character to end game.

The people in the second group won't throw money at the game, won't spend a lot of time in it, won't tell their friends to come play, won't watch streams. They come complaining and are told to uninstall and ride the salt wagon to an easier game, so they do.

So for what it is, it's NOT dead. But IMO it's not going to balloon into huge numbers, either. It's a niche game that DOES have a slowly growing community, that is mainly funded by true hardasses and they sometimes get extra money from stash tab sales late in the league from new players who only stick around for a month or two.
Path of Exile has never been more alive over the years.

In fact it has alot more population now, than when it started.
"
Rukrow wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:

+1
this is the first league I managed to kill shaper and complete the T16 vaal temple - with double bosses and I am playing melee.
I Hope they bring back love to COLD spells. because the cold is what drives me here, cold spells and cold builds. Id like to see some love for Glaccial Cascade spell, Ice spear. (God I remember those Ice spear builds) they actualy havent balanced the Glacial cascade since its release in 2.0 ? they changed it but its a very minor change. This spell, is what I make every character in each league, but eventualy switching to Freezing pulse to be able to run High level end game maps..

GGG bring the glory to cold section!
"
鬼殺し wrote:

What a delightfully myopic dichotomy. You're wrong. And it's good that you're wrong, because if you were right, no one would actually enjoy the game.

I enjoy it, I play it, I'm trying really hard to get to 36 challenges this league but IDK if I'll make it or not.

If you're not an experienced player, there just aren't very well laid out roads forward. There are no vendors that offer you direct gear upgrades, no in-game way to easily look at gear and see what kinds of affects it'll have. Everybody online (reddit, these forums, in-game global, etc.) all say that 'tooltip DPS isn't everything'. Then where is it? Where IS 'everything'? Path of Building, and POE.Trade, and players making Youtube walkthroughs and the wiki?

A lot of our time must be spent outside the client. That's all. It's not that it isn't fun, or engaging. It's the complexity that makes it fun. But the question wasn't 'do some people enjoy this game', it was 'is it dead'. Go look up reviews for this game, publishers since the beginning have all said the same thing... "It's fun, but every aspect of this game is hard."

It's not dead. It's also not very alive. No matter how many years go by or how many patches they release, the core perception has been the same. Numbers may double for 30 days or so when a big patch comes out, but how many of those people are staying? Not many, by the numbers available, at least via Steam. But the ones who stay love it. This isn't a BAD thing - it just is.
It's def dead with a consistent player base that grows slightly larger every big release.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Oct 3, 2017, 12:01:37 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info