Is Path of Exile dead?

I find myself bored again, I only log on to do my dailies and maybe a few maps if I can force it. My guild members aren't even on anymore and these are people that were on every time I logged on. I'd like to say "it's not you, it's me" but I think it's a bit of both here.
Ah another thread where OP actually just whines about nerfs but he hides it behind a entirely unsubstantiated "PoE is dead" facade.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I love the guys at GGG, they put in a ton of work and im sure its horrible to hear us bash on them like this.

They also know that we all know they put a ton of work into it, and we wouldn't bash / suggest / criticize or anything like that if we wern't amazed by the game. I'm sure of that. And it's a great quality for a company, just read some Chris answer on reddit he knows the issues lot of players have with the game right now and willing to kinda discuss them ( except one obviously ).

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
Last time I logged in there was 1 person from my guild online, everyone has abandoned the game.

I just pointed a similar situation with my friendlist in a previous post, a lot of players left because they got really frustrated by trading, another part left because of " boredom ", and some others because the time they invested got somehow ruined by some nerfs. Most of nerfs didn't destroyed builds, they made them less efficient but still more than viable, some others sadly ...

Boredom:

Let's say it clearly if you don't like HC for example, you will basicly clear the whole game content on a low time basis, no matter wich league it is.

PoE beeing a great hack & slash ( legendary ) it's still a one button game kill trash / repeat that's what is an ARPG and even with great efforts PoE won't change that ( actualy it did at least a bit, the genre evolved from what it was originaly ).

If the content players are interested by is not worked out enough often then they will just feel bored. And guess what ? This game is mostly populated by SC players, and has an endgame similar since years, clearspeed => same model for maps => No rewards from taking risk really or almost not => repeat. It's about farming virtual currencies and trading. I loved the game when i was finding my fun at MFing at different place or with different methods for example, except it's kinda gone. The piety's and dominus runs as an example were really simple things, but it was community driven, and felt really fun for a long time.

The only thing left is testing more and more builds or creating your own for fun, except i noticed a while back already that it wasn't really open to all players, the skill tree is great but i wouldn't say it is convenient for everyones, i got plenty of friends that tried PoE no one even gave a try to make his own build, because it take time, dedication, there arn't any translation wich is an huge bareer for them, comparing to them my english is godly so i let you imagine how bad it is ...

And that's it. I'm talking about 30/40 yo guys that speak a basic english all days at work, and to be fair english is badly teached here in half of schools / university, we arn't that lucky on that.

I did the exact same thing in past leagues: Completing atlas, farming some bosses, getting at least 36 challenges, running 5/6 builds, this time i even got to level 100 since i was bored by everything else in harbinger and i feel nothing really left except maybe running my annual HC character and bringing him to 90.

Games arn't eternals, player doesn't have the same hype over the years, reality also reduce the amount of time you can dedicate there are plenty of PoE aspect that are a too big time sink ( HC for example, experienced players will tell it's not, i can clearly say it take me much more time to get to 90 than in SC ).

In conclusion after reading you great comment, i did say there are many reasons players are leaving, old ones or new ones but there are certainly some of them that could have been avoided :(
And well you know ... they ALWAYS come back one day. Just not with the same mindset.
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Sep 27, 2017, 10:49:45 AM
The total neglect of standard league just leads to new players getting bored and quitting.

GGG cannot even contemplate after 4 years that for a lot of players redoing your characters/masters/atlas again is not even a second thought.

GGG need to add the league events to standard i mean why not add the temporary event content to keep players happy and entertained. Then Add some new items/redo legs with a low drop chance to refresh the economy so we have something to look for other than currency.
#StandardLivesMatter
Last edited by theoc86 on Sep 27, 2017, 11:01:44 AM
"
Heli0nix wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I love the guys at GGG, they put in a ton of work and im sure its horrible to hear us bash on them like this.

They also know that we all know they put a ton of work into it, and we wouldn't bash / suggest / criticize or anything like that if we wern't amazed by the game. I'm sure of that. And it's a great quality for a company, just read some Chris answer on reddit he knows the issues lot of players have with the game right now and willing to kinda discuss them ( except one obviously ).

oh for sure they know, but theyre human beings too and I think its important we dont just always leave it as the unsaid but actually come out and tell them: Hey, you guys have made probably the best computer game Ive ever played and possibly ever will play, youve forgotten more about making games than Ill ever know and I have the deepest respect and admiration for all you people at GGG. Cause thats the truth and while they know somewhere in their head that we love them, as a human being sometimes you need to hear it man. Doesnt matter who you are, you can be the greatest game dev or musician or artist or fashion designer in the world and people can say meh, they know theyre good we dont need to tell them... but the human ego and sense of humbleness means even the greatest devs have their days then they doubt themselves, when they need to actually get that recognition and pat on the back to keep going right? Its a creative field, you cant just say ok well 2 + 2 = 4 = Im amazing at my job, I pack boxes for a living and this box is packed = my job is done well. Creative people put a bit of themselves on the line and as much as they may feel theyve done a good job, when youre a commercial artist youve only really done a good job when someone else thinks so.

So I think its important that every now and then among our project pt saltmining gripefests we all take a moment to give credit where credits due and put the gripes in perspective, like im griping about this 2% of the game cause its important, but this other 98% of the game is still mindblowing and when you get up in the morning you should all feel immensely proud of what youve done.
"
Gref wrote:
http://steamcharts.com/app/238960

That's just the Steam user base. Maybe a few thousand more using the GGG client if you want to be conservative.

Dead game for sure.

being conservative would be claiming the same amount of people are playing stand alone as steam, it's previously been stated the standalone has more.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Thanks Snorkle. I agree with this sentiment so much. Should we tell GGG when we don't like/agree with something? Absolutely. You don't have to be a douche about it. Some of these people act like Chris Wilson is a wall street one percenter just out to fleece people. The reality is that they love gaming and wanted to share their creation with us. How dare they try to make a living while they are at it!
Game has serious issues when it comes to the economy imo. Expansion looked great but the truth is that 60% of the new content was recycled acts 1-4. Still better than N/C/M. Pantheon powers looked cool at first but having to f****** upgrade all powers again when you make a new character encourages you to only unlock just the two or three that you plan using or only play one character for the whole league.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
"
theoc86 wrote:
The total neglect of standard league just leads to new players getting bored and quitting.

GGG cannot even contemplate after 4 years that for a lot of players redoing your characters/masters/atlas again is not even a second thought.

GGG need to add the league events to standard i mean why not add the temporary event content to keep players happy and entertained. Then Add some new items/redo legs with a low drop chance to refresh the economy so we have something to look for other than currency.

THIS !!!!!! i say the same since 2014... leagues only split player's base and give a lot of frustration with trade issue and re-build boredom.
learning is a painful process ... knowledge is the most deadly weapon.
Standard is so neglected it physically hurts my soul ..and yes, splitting the playerbase was never a good idea.

I wish they completely moved new leagues to standard and make it so new uniques only drop in hardcore ..that way ppl are forced to play hardcore for cash and when they die items get moved to standard.
Last edited by PayneK on Sep 27, 2017, 4:37:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info