Act 10 Kitava fight is absolutely stupid

"
silumit wrote:
"
de99ial wrote:
Yes because lowering difficulty always worked best.
Except it is not lowering difficulty, it is bringing it to match the rest of the game (except maps but they are completely different thing)

If you have character that cannot defeat Kitava that means you did something wrong - not that game is bad. Thats simple.

The problem is not game, GGG or mechanics - You are the problem. You can play blame game put truth is hard to swollow.
You don't really know what you are talking about, and probably it's time to stop.

Character progression is unlikely linear (though it could be with some builds, as an exception). Some builds shine early on, some midgame, others late. Some have certain item requirements. Progression is often defined by your starting position in the skill tree. Progression is defined by items available. Fluidity of gameplay is also defined by the certain defense types one is using, along with the ability to face certain encounters at a time. Etc.

So it's not hard to have a character struggling with Kitava, no matter how good you are as a player. As this fight has certain requirements, related to its overtuned nature. Consider it build restricting.
On top of it, once again, this encounter is MANDATORY. I hope you will finally get the meaning of this word. You can't define the strategy of you character progression, nor plan it in advance, you MUST break and enter no matter what.

When players hanging around like forever say that it has severe issues, it's stupid at best to blame them of being noobs or bad in game.

On a side note, it's hilarious to act elitist with "I'm so good, died just five times to it" statements.

The fight in it's current state is bad for the game.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Sep 1, 2017, 6:10:56 AM
I am left puzzled, really.
I play this game since it exists for the outside world, basically.
I do not claim to be any star, but I think I know a thing or two about its history and how the "difficulty curve" evolved.

And in my point of view, Kitava should NOT be a mandatory boss in its current state. And yes, I defeated him with no deaths, but that is absolutely not the point. The point is that all the new players out there NEED to kill him to experience the game, and I see that as a bad thing right now for the game overall.

I do not call for a nerf, I think the fight should not gate map entry for new players.

To be more specific, I see two problematic things : first, the "floor is lava" effect is too large to have a precedent. Second, hearth phase adds are pretty bad ass comparatively to the rest of the previous encounters.

There are many occasions where "git gud" is warranted, but it is not this case, I think. There are plenty of occasions for new players to get frustrated, no reason to make this one mandatory.
Maby making it mandatory to open tier 5 maps would be some kind of solution? It would give players to drop better items and be more prepared.

BUT after opening maps You get -60 to resists. You really want to face Kitava with those "bonuses"?
The habit to cap your resistances for mapping is a healthy one, the game enforces it pretty much since Act III came to be.

It would be great that new players receive this message out and loud - cap your resistances.
In this regard, Kitava (and some bosses before him as well - Yugul for example, but he is not mandatory) are map bosses already. You cap your resistances. Period. I consider that a prerequisite for my characters to start mapping.

That is orthogonal to Kitava situation. Before, you COULD just run through Act IV with almost any gear, even kill optional Malachai on the side, uncapped resistances, quite no issues.

I would not recommend doing that in act 10 now. Hell, I do not recommend it from Act 5 on.

So for me, definitelly something paradigmatically changed in act mindset. It is for good, but the message needs to be relayed to new players clearlier than it is done now. CAP. YOUR. RESISTANCES. GET. EHP.

"
aldorus wrote:
So for me, definitelly something paradigmatically changed in act mindset. It is for good, but the message needs to be relayed to new players clearlier than it is done now. CAP. YOUR. RESISTANCES. GET. EHP.

Yepp!!

Also to those the follow and writes build guides. If the build starts to "work" at level75+ and alot of equipment, you need another aproach now.
Those builds will have enourmous problems with the story bosses since it now requires a viable build at the level you do the story bosses.
Privously it wasn't like that, you could get by with almost anything as long as the build came together around t5-7.

And to those that follow build guides, pay attention to leveling part of the guide so that it mention how you should handle the story.
"
torturo wrote:
You don't really know what you are talking about, and probably it's time to stop.

Character progression is unlikely linear (though it could be with some builds, as an exception). Some builds shine early on, some midgame, others late. Some have certain item requirements. Progression is often defined by your starting position in the skill tree. Progression is defined by items available. Fluidity of gameplay is also defined by the certain defense types one is using, along with the ability to face certain encounters at a time. Etc.

So it's not hard to have a character struggling with Kitava, no matter how good you are as a player. As this fight has certain requirements, related to its overtuned nature. Consider it build restricting.
On top of it, once again, this encounter is MANDATORY. I hope you will finally get the meaning of this word. You can't define the strategy of you character progression, nor plan it in advance, you MUST break and enter no matter what.

When players hanging around like forever say that it has severe issues, it's stupid at best to blame them of being noobs or bad in game.

On a side note, it's hilarious to act elitist with "I'm so good, died just five times to it" statements.

The fight in it's current state is bad for the game.
I see the gating of maps behind Kitava and the Kitava fight itself as separate issues, although I get why you and others are discussing them together.

I think GGG will ultimately find a way to remove Kitava as a gate to maps, rather than water down the difficulty of the fight. I could be wrong, of course, and perhaps they'll tone down Kitava instead.

I don't think they'll leave things as they are for long because the combination of mechanical problems with the Kitava fight that make it more difficult than later content and the gating of maps behind Kitava are likely to be toxic to the game, over the longer run.

I also agree that it's pretty silly to say "git gud" to a fair number of highly experienced players.

Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
"
de99ial wrote:
"
kaepae wrote:
In comparison to the rest of storymode, Kitava a10 is absurd. It should be tuned to align and further down the game be an option with various difficulty levels.

The endgame starts at a much lower difficulty level, and that's the level I'm aiming for when I'm running through storymode.

As always, the unbalance will give players different experiences. Storymode should be suitable for all builds. Go ahead, and try a10 kitava with an ES based character using what storymode provides. Enjoy your 50+ deaths.

Either ramp up the difficulty leading to it and the endgame right after it, or consider purely the experience of a feel-good boss fight for everyone (all builds) and tune it accordingly. Reuse in endgame for diehards.

Cheers

LIE! I play ES hybrid build SSF i killed Kitava and i died like 5 times max. No more.

My friend died like 50 times and i was expecting this also, but... i was like Already?! :-O
OK then.

So most of those whiniers just dont know what are they doing with their characters.

Storymode should be doable for the entire playerbase. You deserve a pat on the shoulder as an experienced player (how many hours?) to have only .. died 5 times as hybrid.

:)
Did you try turning it off and on again?
facepalm
how bout just over level it if you are scared of her....

pretty simple solution if you ask me
I dont see any any key!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info