Act 10 Kitava fight is absolutely stupid

"
torturo wrote:
"
k1rage wrote:
have round 4000 life or so and I reckon you'll be fine

Tend to disagree. My first attempt was at lvl 71 with 4.5K, twink gear, solid damage, with decoy totem 100% of the time, and didn't make any significant mistakes. Watched videos in advance, knew the fight. Also knew it's a pushover, was prepared.
At a certain point just instantly died to something at half HP, can't even tell what and why - probably some ground effect, though I can swear the part of the arena I jumped at was clear. Too much clutter, can't even tell. Fight is just a shitty clusterfuck.

The build was just about to grow - several levels later would significantly increase the HP. Build was map ready, it plowed through A10, hardly got scratched.
But it couldn't pass the barrier.
Probably got to try any fotm instead, for full D3 experience.

At its current state the fight itself is poorly designed, and conceptually this encounter is a disaster. The latter bothers me the most.

what build were you?
I dont see any any key!
died 2-3 times to kitava with my first charachter in harbinger league, an essence drain trickster.

just finished act 10 a second time. this time with a tornado shot raider at lvl 65. 3 deaths again but i didn't focus so much as i did the first time. just stayed unperturbed and finished the fight.

used some random rare items i had from my first play through and

2800 life. if i would do it properly and safer i would wait until i am much higher level and have better items.

strange that many people have so much problems here. most likely badly geared and underleveled builds with no life on their items.

"
de99ial wrote:
See it as "build verificator". If You are unable kill Kitava with 10 or less deaths - Your build is shit. Start over again.

good rule of thumb and well said but i think it also depends a little when you attempt to kill kitava. too low level might be hard.
Last edited by kompaniet on Aug 31, 2017, 3:27:01 PM
"
k1rage wrote:

what build

FB raider
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
I just beat A10 Kitava while playing SSF hardcore with a bleedquaker slayer (about 4.6K life) who ends up relying on heavy strike for single target damage (gear is not good, relying on four-links for damage, and multistrike + brutality + faster attacks + heavy strike just does more ST damage than earthquake right now). That was a difficult fight. But, the difficulty was mostly about issues other than damage or boss mechanics, per se; the difficulty was mostly about being able to read what he was doing.

I ended up looking at his life orb for confirmation of whether I was actually hitting him or hitting air with heavy strike; there's too much visual clutter happening to be able to tell otherwise. Quite a few times I went to leap slam or bash the ground for earthquake and my character just stood there because I had difficulty reading where the edge of the area was once the ground effects started accumulating; when I tried to reach out of bounds with leap slam or earthquake, of course nothing happened. Leap slam has fortify linked to it, so repeatedly missing with that wasn't a good thing.

Also, when your character is standing right in front of Kitava, it can be hard to see what effects might be under your character's feet. That can be quite dangerous. And, often his head was out of sight while my slayer stood right in front of him (too tall and given how he was leaning, I guess), so when the sound effect signaling "fire breath everywhere starting in about 1 second", I often couldn't see the direction in which his head was pointing, meaning I needed to back out, head to the center of the area, and then figure out which way to run to reach safety. I needed to read what he was doing based on just seeing a single arm move, at times.

I don't think Kitava is overtuned, though, other than perhaps the fill-the-screen fire breath. I just hope they pan the camera out a bit further so you can actually see what he's doing better when you're in there hitting him with namelock melee skills.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Aug 31, 2017, 10:08:13 PM
"
kompaniet wrote:

good rule of thumb and well said but i think it also depends a little when you attempt to kill kitava. too low level might be hard.

Maby instead speed run throught locations more players should clear them?
"
de99ial wrote:
"
kompaniet wrote:

Maybe area boss should be doable for all characters of same(and higher) level as the area?
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
What I feel is worse than the overwhelming amount of ground effects is the boss collision box. I fought with firestorm and you CANNOT cast firestorm with Kitava targeted. The collision box is too close to the edge of the arena, so your character CANNOT cast. Having to shift-cast with firestorm made the fight last so much longer as only a small section of the firestorm can actually make contact with Kitava.
"
silumit wrote:
"
de99ial wrote:
"
kompaniet wrote:

Maybe area boss should be doable for all characters of same(and higher) level as the area?

Yes because lowering difficulty always worked best.
"
de99ial wrote:
Yes because lowering difficulty always worked best.
Except it is not lowering difficulty, it is bringing it to match the rest of the game (except maps but they are completely different thing)
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"

I don't think Kitava is overtuned, though, other than perhaps the fill-the-screen fire breath. I just hope they pan the camera out a bit further so you can actually see what he's doing better when you're in there hitting him with namelock melee skills.

good feedback! that would be quite useful.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info