Good start, but Scion is still too weak

Boosting jewels is a great idea.
Here some suggestion for Ascendancy points:

Master Jeweler: Can place a second Jewel in Jewelerslots

Glimmering Stones: Effectradius of Jewels is doupled

Ancient Knowledge: Cain 5% increased Attack and cast speed for each Jewel used

Forgotten Technique: 30% increased Effects of Jewels

Same could work with gems as well...

Gem whispering: All your socket gems get two extra levels and additional 3% quality

Power from within: Can place one support gem in a empty jewelslot. All of your active Skillgems will be supported by it. ( limited to one gem)

Just thoughts but i think something like this could make the scion intressting again

"
Good start, but Scion is still too weak

Boosting jewels is a great idea.
Here some suggestion for Ascendancy points:

Master Jeweler: Can place a second Jewel in Jewelerslots

Glimmering Stones: Effectradius of Jewels is doupled

Ancient Knowledge: Cain 5% increased Attack and cast speed for each Jewel used

Forgotten Technique: 30% increased Effects of Jewels

There such thing as balance inbetween classes. Eny of yours jewel or gems "ascendacy" ioutweight everything else. So everything else should be buffed into the sky or noone will play any other class.

To have POWER is fun, but company like GGG have to care about longevity and replayability.
Damn it, why did you change Gladiator...was trying to make an original build but noooo that's not allowed either!
"Your grandchildren will awaken screaming in memory of what I utter today!"
- Path of Exile, Legacy Whispers of Doom Keystone
I believe that the basic idea of trying to abridge each ascendancy into a 4 point bullet list and then reducing the math of 3 of the four by roughly 66% (which seems to be how you guys did most of these) is flawed and results in LESS interesting choices resulting in not wanting to play Scion. So like a lot of people I am underwhelmed. A couple of these are good changes and then there's lots of inexplicable weak stuff unbuffed or even nerfed.

The basic problem is that the main ascendancy all of them are based off all have more than one build direction you can go in. As a Marauder for example you can make a RF no totem Warchief, or a Totem Warchief, or a Brutus' lead sprinkler melee Warchief, or an Explosive Arrow Warchief all without taking "bad nodes" that don't help your build (you don't have to inherit useless mods). There are enough choices to feel good about all 4 sets of points you spend. There's even sometimes 2 you would have liked to get but couldn't afford, forcing a real "tough gaming choice" that makes your decisions feel important.

In Scion however you've condensed all of them to a (poor in most cases) 3 point mashup which doesn't allow build direction or definition, it's "pick the two that have the same synergy for your build (Necro + Guardian for example if doing classic summoner) and hope the two that DO have synergy aren't weak.

However many of them are still very weak, and picking one of the stronger ones, and then picking a weaker one because they "pull in the same direction" just feels terrible.

Warchief = Totems so Hierophant + Warchief, only Warchief feels really weak. And frankly you're only choosing Hierophant for the extra totem. So whats you're first conclusion? I'll tell you what my immediate thinking is:

"Why am I not just using Templar and getting 2 totems from Hierophant and 4 other points worth of stuff that's full power, and WAY WAY WAY better than what I can get from Scion's version of Warchief?" So of course you ditch the plan to use Scion.

This theme is repeated over and over every time I try to justify using Scion. Except in a very few cases (Slayer leech + Deadeye for example)

There ARE exceptions, the newly buffed Slayer is now quite useful because it contains one of the better build defining perks (leech doesn't stop) it's good enough that combined with 1 of the other good choices you can maybe not feel bad. The problem is the other good choices number roughly 7 or 8 which is pretty poor considering that leaves about 10 choices that aren't good, or over half the combinations that probably feelsbadman.

I know you guys can't take on more work than you already have on your plate, but in the future could you maybe do something like:

Change the pathing to 2 points per notable and dramatically change the content of those notables. Going past those with 2 more points get you a new starting position based off your choice.
this configuration allows picking:

4 notables or
3 notables and 1 starting position or
2 notables and 2 starting positions

Now redsign the 2 point notables in such as way that you make more interesting choices and of course balance them in such a way that 4 Notables are APROXIMATELY on par with a normal class ascendancy. To do this and to add more choices you need three SINGLE ABILITIES from each ascendancy as choices that block out the other two choices. So for example:

Jugg +10% armor 7% max life (1 passive) ->
Choice A. 10% on being hit to gain max endurance charges; skills in your off hand are supported by level 20 endurance charge on melee stun
Choice B. Your chest gains doubled armor, skills in your off hand are supported by lvl 20 Determination (note synergy with Prism guardian)
Choice C. You can not be stunned nor reduced below base movement speed, items in your off hand are supported by lvl 20 vengeance.

Choosing one of these blocks the other two and costs a second passive. These three are loosely based off popular notables in Jugg (adjusted a little because some of them cost 4 passives to get to). And because there aren't 3 other mods mashed in you'll have much less feeling of "wasting" things and because all three are impactful reasons people choose Jugg, there is decision pain.

Needless to say: this also solves Scion's "feelsbadman" normal lab result, and the resulting odd spacing of subsequent 2 points

Now allow another up to 6 passives to be spent in Warchief and/or in Slayer and/or in Witch ascendancies for example:

Gladiator +15% Evasion/Armor (1 passive) ->
A. 25% chance to bleed, your kills cause 10% bleedsplosions
B. 50% spell block (reduced from 100% because only costs 2 passives), 8% increased block chance when hit by a rare or unique enemy recently
C. you get the idea

With something like this you get fundamentally interesting choices 4 times instead of having a mish mash of "2 of these sorta help my build two of them dont" and also avoid that "i can just go Templar and get +2 totems and other good choices, instead of +1 and some stuff that doesn't do much for me because it's just thrown in together"

TL;DR the main problem with Scion is lack of choice combinations, and disparate mish mash of "thrown in" weakly mathed "if killed recently" and "if hit recently" junk abilities.

"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Ugh...stil pretty underwhelming. I was hoping for major buffs or some radical change to the class. At least throw some free jewel slots on the in-between nodes...
I'm not the greatest at building great builds, but these all seem like mediocre choices compared to their complete counterparts, by alot. This really is just a change, probably for the worse tbh, as a result there's still no point in playing a Scion with a still mediocre ascendancy with 1/3rd the power of their origin ascendancy and practically the only good parts missing, making them pretty shitty.

Sorry, but Scion needs a buff bad and this didn't do it.
Last edited by Titanimo on May 24, 2017, 8:21:58 AM
My main issue at this point in time, is that the ascendency nodes pretty much feel like some major nodes on the tree stuffed together. It isnt really interesting. The worst thing is that practically everything on this is completely conditional. Half your ascendency bonuses wont apply in all situations. To make the most of this, all your fights'll need to finish basically instantly further enforcing a super clearspeed meta.

That said, some preliminary build options:

Slayer + something (pathfinder looks alright, raider does as well assassin might be okayish for clearing)
Trickster + something for low life RF (because you are never on full ES and always kill things with your damage over time, 50% regen is HUGE)
Hierophant + something for BoR warchief

Otherwise, not impressed.

Get rid of the conditional things, pretty please. Power charge generation doesnt help a lick, for instance, if all it is up for ever is clearing maps. We have the nodes behind conduit for that.

Edit: And change the portrait, for the love of got. What the actual fuck.
Last edited by Cataca on May 24, 2017, 8:32:09 AM
LUL
its awesome!
"Some things that slumber should never be awoken."

▒█▀▀█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▀   ▒█▀▄▀█
▒█▄▄█ █▄▄▀ █▀▀ ▀▀█ ▀▀█   ▒█▒█▒█
▒█░░░ ▀░▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀   ▒█░░▒█

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info