3.0... Slowing down the game a tad maybe?

One of the most popular classes in any video game, is usually the warrior. The big brute with no brain charging into the fray with plate armor. In PoE? Do that and get oneshoted by a Rhoa. People are not going to stick with melee if they cant fulfill their advertised role.

When you think about the Marauder, the Duelist or the Templar you imagine a very resilent character that makes his ground by being resilent and evasive or just by pure muscle. The game is too fast right now and such things can't happen, so playstyles change and hopes are destroyed.

Hail build Diversity,
Death to the speed clear meta.
Last edited by Quo210 on Mar 28, 2017, 5:12:17 PM
"
Quo210 wrote:
One of the most popular classes in any video game, is usually the warrior. The big brute with no brain charging into the fray with plate armor. In PoE? Do that and get oneshoted by a Rhoa. People are not going to stick with melee if they can fulfill their advertised role.

When you think about the Marauder, the Duelist or the Templar you imagine a very resilent character that makes his ground by being resilent and evasive or just by pure muscle. The game is too fast right now and such things can't happen, so playstyles change and hopes are destroyed.

Yeah its kinda odd is some ways that the "mage" types are actually some of the most durable in PoE thanks to es

then again PoE goes against the typical archetypes that most games follow
I dont see any any key!
"
tinko92 wrote:

At the end, we really can't know the motives behind "gotta go faster". But I do not buy that it's because most of the players prefer it that way, despite its downsides, which are enormous.

:p

EDIT: Or how about the amount of shit-tier skills/supports? Why do they have to be pretty much useless?
Why do the few skills have to be OP as fuck?
How is that better for the game than having more balanced skills?
Because GGG wants it that way, they like one thing over the other and they can do as they please.

So your conclusion is that the game is as it is simply because the creators said "Fuck you guys, I'll do what i want!" Really you think that is the more plausible explanation? That they don't take into account nothing but how they envision the game? Now not to dilute the conversation but... why do you lump in various aspects of the game into one big lump? Your explanation boils down to this very strange logical connection:
1. PoE has a clear speed meta, GGG doesn't change that because they like it!
2. Melee is at disadvantage and judging by 1. it must be because GGG likes it that way!
3. PoE has terrible performance, yet they still add more stuff to increase that problem, judging by 1. and 2. it must be because GGG likes it that way!
4. There are skills and support that are not good - well it must be because GGG likes it that way!

Don't you think that these are all separate issues? I really can't understand why do you see them as a whole? Do you think that by improving melee that will somehow change the clear speed meta? Hell no, people will just zap around annihilating stuff with their melee attack, instead of their ranged one. Or how would buffing life gained on hit support gem or chance to flee support gem will change the current situation?! I really don't see the connection.

So basically you really think that GGG just do what they please and they don't care if this will affect negatively the player base? It's like if you own an ice-cream stand and you enjoy only menthol ice-cream so you'll only sell that even though that will make you go bankrupt. Come on man that's simply absurd.

P.S. I really .. and i mean REALLY don't understand how a thread about the slowing down of the game because a conversation about the state of melee in PoE....
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Mar 28, 2017, 5:03:22 PM
"
raics wrote:
"
tinko92 wrote:
I simply can't and won't buy that a huge majority of ARPG players don't like melee. That scenario would be so ridiculous to the point at which it becomes disturbing.

So, what do you think came first there, the chicken or the egg?

I think it's irrelevant. Because I never said that melee and ranged should swap places. I for once would like actual balance, and not "this is OP, this is shit".

"
KorgothBG wrote:

So your conclusion is that the game is as it is simply because the creators said "Fuck you guys, I'll do what i want!" Really you think that is the more plausible explanation? That they don't take into account nothing but how they envision the game? Now not to dilute the conversation but... why do you lump in various aspects of the game into one big lump? Your explanation boils down to this very strange logical connection:
1. PoE has a clear speed meta, GGG doesn't change that because they like it!
2. Melee is at disadvantage and judging by 1. it must be because GGG likes it that way!
3. PoE has terrible performance, yet they still add more stuff to increase that problem, judging by 1. and 2. it must be because GGG likes it that way!
4. There are skills and support that are not good - well it must be because GGG likes it that way!

Don't you think that these are all separate issues? I really can't understand why do you see them as a whole? Do you think that by improving melee that will somehow change the clear speed meta? Hell no, people will just zap around annihilating stuff with their melee attack, instead of their ranged one. Or how would buffing life gained on hit support gem or chance to flee support gem will change the current situation?! I really don't see the connection.

So basically you really think that GGG just do what they please and they don't care if this will affect negatively the player base? It's like if you own an ice-cream stand and you enjoy only menthol ice-cream so you'll only sell that even though that will make you go bankrupt. Come on man that's simply absurd.

P.S. I really .. and i mean REALLY don't understand how a thread about the slowing down of the game because a conversation about the state of melee in PoE....

Honestly, after the "this is a buff" bullshit and the recent melee splash buff announcements which we couldn't wait to have, only to have it the same in itself and worse if you try to increase its AoE.

Or the fact that a huge amount of people were advocating the ability to tone down the effects, just to be greeted with "we want our game to look nice". Which is a laughable claim.

I lump them into the same box because that's what it looks like and they themselves said that they're making a game that they want to play.

Why would they add Dominus and Malachai after years of outcry about the performance? Remember fractured map mod (removed but still, should never be there in the first place)?

About the skill gems. Why would they keep them at the state of absolute garbage, announce buffs, buff them by 6% and wrapped it up as it's all good.
Then they release new skills which are infinitely better then those old skills, and they tweak the new skills often (compared to the shit ones).

Dominating Blow and its state (Breaches)? I never played with it and I never will because it's not my style, but my god lol...

They are separate issues, but they all come from GGG's decisions. I didn't make it that way, neither did you.

I'm not saying that improving melee would change the meta. The meta itself brings more performance issues than before it, and it keeps on going. Which is my main point in this thread. Melee is connected to it and I think it's not out of place to bring it up.

I'm saying that changes to the meta would help melee. Melee wasn't trash as it is now in OB. I've reached lvl 98 with Reave with a Conc. Effect inside the whole time. If I tried that now I'd carve my eyes out at level 90.

I never said that buffing some supports would fix everything. It would be a good start. I can't see a single good reason for having trash gems instead of at least decent ones.
And that skill gem point is connected to the meta through the same design choices, as in, they like it that way, obviously. Or I'm missing something.

You ice-cream analogy doesn't cut it.
I'm not saying that all they do is what they want. But some important stuff (meta, melee, trash gems, ...) is because they want it that way, or someone is holding a gun to their head so they have to do it lol, but the core point still stands, someone wants it that way.

There are things like PA which are in the game and they didn't want that back in the day. But we got lucky with this one, we got it.

Last edited by tinko92 on Mar 28, 2017, 5:25:26 PM
"
tinko92 wrote:
I think it's irrelevant. Because I never said that melee and ranged should swap places. I for once would like actual balance, and not "this is OP, this is shit".

Sure it's relevant. If the egg came first it means that melee in PoE isn't satisfying even when it's strong enough because it's clunky, in which case devs don't devote enough balancing effort to it because it wouldn't matter either way. If the chicken came first that means melee is unpopular because it's weak and devs aren't buffing it because it's unpopular, which closes the circle.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:

Sure it's relevant. If the egg came first it means that melee in PoE isn't satisfying even when it's strong enough because it's clunky, in which case devs don't devote enough balancing effort to it because it wouldn't matter either way. If the chicken came first that means melee is unpopular because it's weak and devs aren't buffing it because it's unpopular, which closes the circle.

Melee was quite possibly on par with ranged back in the day, or at least nobody felt gimped by playing melee over ranged. Pros and cons took place. Now, melee offers nothing over ranged.
Melee was strong and people played it, even though desync was raping it far more than ranged.
It was clunky mainly because of desync. Desync is now a thing of past but melee is trash due to other changes, mainly the requirements for AoE, more instagibs for melee, more map mods that shit on melee, etc.

Melee now is unpopular because it's trash. Almost nobody likes getting shat on, that's like playing golf with garbage 5$ Chinese bats, it's pointless and makes no sense doing it when you have far better options.
A bunch of melee players have left and others have switched to ranged while a masochistic few are still going at it.

Does that mean that melee shouldn't be buffed in some way? According to your theory, it does. But I think that's an absurd conclusion.

If there is the circle you're talking about, it was made by GGG. And that's not the only outcome possible that you seem to think it is. It doesn't have to be this way at all.
Last edited by tinko92 on Mar 28, 2017, 5:39:35 PM
"
tinko92 wrote:

Melee was quite possibly on par with ranged back in the day, or at least nobody felt gimped by playing melee over ranged. Pros and cons took place. Now, melee offers nothing over ranged.
Melee was strong and people played it, even though desync was raping it far more than ranged.
It was clunky mainly because of desync. Desync is now a thing of past but melee is trash due to other changes, mainly the requirements for AoE, more instagibs for melee, more map mods that shit on melee, etc.

Melee now is unpopular because it's trash. A bunch of melee players have left and others have switched to ranged while a masochistic few are still going at it.

Does that mean that melee shouldn't be buffed in some way? According to your theory, it does. But I think that's an absurd conclusion.

If there is the circle you're talking about, it was made by GGG. And that's not the only outcome possible that you seem to think it is. It doesn't have to be this way at all.

Then again, the mob density was not really quite how it was today. I still do think melee has improved since then, but ranged is just so far up ahead and some nerf here and there is still not enough. You would have to gutter it and then the PoE experience would be hurt unless GGG nerfs the damage from mobs and bosses to a very good extent along with decreasing the mob density. If it comes down to that, GGG might as well undo everything they have done (with the exception of the improved performance).
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Mar 28, 2017, 5:44:18 PM
"
tinko92 wrote:

I'm not saying that all they do is what they want. But some important stuff (meta, melee, trash gems, ...) is because they want it that way, or someone is holding a gun to their head so they have to do it lol, but the core point still stands, someone wants it that way.

I think this is were we fundamentally disagree. You say that's all on purpose, because they want it that way, while i think that it is that way because, first - they've neglected some aspects of the game (melee, trash gems and so on) in the sake of pumping out new content thinking that it will retain the existing players and will get new ones into the game and second - because at that point they simply don't now how to fix those neglected aspects properly.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
Then again, the mob density was not really quite how it was today. I still do think melee has improved since then, but ranged is just so far up ahead and some nerf here and there is still not enough. You would have to gutter it and then the PoE experience would be hurt unless GGG nerfs the damage from mobs and bosses to a very good extent along with decreasing the mob density. If it comes down to that, GGG might as well undo everything they have done (with the exception of the improved performance).

Actually that is something that i would like to see. What i would personally enjoy would be:
1. Decrease the monster density (thus your AoE wouldn't matter as much, even if it's huge)
2. Make investing into defenses worth while (and balance them out)
3. Actually increase the damage of the monster so that investing into defenses would be something lucrative
4. Remove the ability to scale survivability by dealing more damage (i.e. instant leech)
5. Make it easier for melee characters to scale their defenses (which would be crucial in this iteration of PoE), that way it would be also easier for melee builds to increase their damage output, which will balance with the ranged/spellcaster ability to be further away from danger, while they'll be more fragile and deal the same amounts of damage at best.

I personally know quite a few people that would hate such a game ... but hey ... that's what i would love to see.
Last edited by KorgothBG on Mar 28, 2017, 5:57:34 PM
"
tinko92 wrote:

Sure, if it's the chicken they just have to break the circle, if it's the egg there's no helping it without changing the game fundamentally. That wouldn't happen easily and just buffing melee until it's superior would do more harm than good because we'd have people playing it and hating it. That's why I said it's important to know which is which and I don't think we can rely on past data because it was a different game.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info