3.0... Slowing down the game a tad maybe?

DISCLAIMER:
Spoiler

I am NOT talking about slowing down the speed of leveling. I am just talking about action speed. Obviously, GGG can adjust EXP gain if that turns into an issue.

Preface:
Spoiler
So... league after league, more mechanics enter the game that allows for increased attack speed.

There is nothing wrong with IAS, as some people swinging faster than others is a gameplay choice (I won't talk about balance ;p). I would expect a dagger to hit faster than a warhammer.

However, each league is causing (allowing?) more people to attack more often.

This has been causing a trend towards overloading graphics and connection speeds with tons of data.

GGG has been doing what they can; general performance improvements, the new "hyperthreading"... but at the end of the day, the current "frame output" is still climbing, and there is a hard cap on how much performance one can improve.

What triggered me to notice:
Spoiler
I am a support(ish) spec, with 12 summons out (none of which are amped up on anything other than my haste aura... and I DONT have the Vaal version), and I tried to run strand with a Vaal Sparker. In 5 total maps, We both DC'ed from overflow once, and also I ripped 3 times (and him once) in the span of a single frame of animation... and even if it hadn't been a single frame, the screen was so full of monsters, lightning-spiders, his attack animations, my guys, etc. etc. that I couldn't even tell what it was that hit me until later. And that's not even going into my 6-man parties.

The 2 Questions:
1) Is 3.0 going to/considering a rebalance of things such that the average "character actions per second" gets a global reduction (in such a way that it doesn't necessarily change clearspeed methodology, only from a GPU/CPU standpoint), and
Spoiler
2) How many people are going to skip the first 3 parts of this thread and post some junk about me wanting "nerfs to fun", learning to play, getting a better computer despite me having upgraded this a month ago to run the lastest games, or other such frivolous nonsense
#1 rule of official forum boards of every video game ever: use the forums to relay info, gather suggestions, or the rare narrow-focused Poll; but NEVER as "feedback".

#2 rule: Never say the #1 rule in an official capacity. Let some guy on the forums say it, leaving yourself plausible deniability.
Last bumped on Apr 6, 2017, 2:14:33 PM
Kind of hope so. The game is becoming too chaotic for me. But I don't think they can turn back the clock so easily.
They could, probably should. The game gets pretty unplayable at times at 10 APS with certain skills, or with extra gore.

Well just have to wait and see what their optimizations for 3.0 are because apparently those are supposed to be pretty big too, past ones were pretty big but the way the game itself plays with certain things... There will pretty much always be FPS issues until those things change.

They also might not change it though because theres alot of things you cant do too, weird, interesting build interactions. I think its more likely we see particle optimizations, animation changes, etc to make the game more playable than the aforementioned being changed.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Slowing down the pace through certain means like reducing the amount of trash monsters and compensate the remaining monsters with the HP needed would also bring melee more in line with ranged.
It would also help a bunch with the game performance itself.

But do not hold onto that hope, there's absolutely no indication of that happening, on contrary.
Last edited by tinko92 on Mar 27, 2017, 2:22:40 PM
Or GGG insert a option in Video Setting like:

[ ] Disable other players skill animation.

Problem solved.

Obs: I play a build like yours, and i suffer with same issues.
I just bring the truth!

To be honest, it was just the other day I was thinking about what if they had a keystone/unique/jewel that converted some attack speed increases into attack damage.

Effectively keeping the DPS the same, but being less about "Do 8 billion attacks per second" and more about "Hit once for 8 billion damage". Sort of inspired by the Brutal Shrine that gives the text "Hit hard, hit once"

Also motivated by the fact that some endgame builds just look so stupid with the character swinging weapons at a million miles an hour...

That, and some builds don't benefit that much from attack speed (I'm currently playing a DoT build. Once all my DoTs are applied I kind of just... Stand there and maybe spam some mediocre DD from the initial DoT projectile...)

It could really open up some interesting build choices.

Though, this could easily be applied globally in part too in order to reduce the amount of things happening in standard AS based builds or even just supportive builds (Like mentioned in the OP)
Attacking fast is really fun but we've gotten FAR past the point of "fun". Needs toned down a bit.
Do not nerf animations speed please ! ! I'm a great fan of R-TYPE delta.

/Irony off

Speed of animations and the way they are filling the screen are clearly an issue.
Not the first reason players doesn't go over 2/3 man party but surely in second position after performances issues.

I would be curious to know GGG's plans about animations or at least their actual stance about it. This subject has been often discussed over the years and as far i remember i never saw much comments in Q&A on reddit or on forum.

Personaly 1 hour is the maximum i can handle in a 6 man party if it's not less, way too speed, and too many effects, eyes are taking heavy damages on the long run.
Hf :)
This makes Rory actually a good fucking balance guy compared to most of you holy fucking shit.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
This makes Rory actually a good fucking balance guy compared to most of you holy fucking shit.

Well even if the attack speed to damage conversion would need some tweaking I don't think it's a crazy idea to try and limit attacks to 8 billion instead of 236 billion per second. It gets absolutely insane I feel you use golems and a bunch of eminences or femurs or anything like that. Like so insane that if you encounter more than 5-10 monsters close together you will disconnect almost immediately.

There is some merit to people saying "well don't play those builds", but frankly if the build is possible within the framework of the game, the servers and game engine should be able to handle it. If not then they should consider putting caps on aps or something.
Last edited by MeWhenum on Mar 28, 2017, 1:15:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info