3.0... Slowing down the game a tad maybe?

"
Im2sl0w wrote:
"
Saltygames wrote:
It's slow enough as it is. Ducking snoozefest, and yeah I read your preface. I dont want to stand around clubbering the same monsters forever, and I doubt most people want that.

If anything they should speed up the action/movement of earlier levels. It's pretty damn clunky still.

"
vpetrovgb wrote:
if you want to play a slow game, do slow chess

Funny how people only manage to think in extremes nowadays.

I personally hope for a slight slowdown in 3.0

After reading your account name and comment I can't stop giggling.
Second-class poe gamer
For better or worse, GGG is too far down that slippery slope rabbit hole to do anything about it now. Expect more piled on top of more.

ie: labyrinth/trials.
We just need more skills like Essence Drain/Earthquake and rise of proliferation lime mechanics. While the nerf to prolif was not unwarranted, GGG realized they overdid it. If you paid attention, there are small additions and changes bringing more options to prolif-like (for example the recent berek's ring change). For some reason they still have the damage penalty on the gem...
I wonder if it's too late. A huge portion of the player base enjoys the current "Gotta go fast" gameplay.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
"
KorgothBG wrote:
I wonder if it's too late. A huge portion of the player base enjoys the current "Gotta go fast" gameplay.

Broadly speaking, yes, it's too late. But if there were ever an opportunity to make such a change, 3.0 would be it. They could 'reset' the speed, so to speak, and then power creep their way back up to current levels over the next 3 years until the next big thing.

The main issue with that is, even if GGG want to, how many players will it turn off. If the answer is 'any' it's probably not a risk worth taking given their goals for expansion into new markets (countries), and desire for good press to continue to drive new players to the game.
I wish it is not too late to make the change.
People who don't like the Labyrinth are not a minority: Be heard - say you don't like it in your signature. Don't leave complaining about lab to others - GGG needs to see how many people dislike it. Ascendancy must be gated on true ARPG content, not a poorly-crafted internet Legend of Zelda wannabe.
"
KorgothBG wrote:

That's because it's "forced" upon players. If you play slower you're severely (UNDERSTATEMENT) gimped. And ARPG players will sell their soul for better efficiency.

Considering that the very same speed meta (is it even meta anymore or a baseline?) is one of the main reasons for terrible game performance which is by far the biggest game's issue, I can't see how slowing down the gameplay would affect the game negatively.

It's not too late, it's just that GGG doesn't want it.
@innervation
My thoughts exactly.
A change that i'd love to see would be a shift towards defenses when it comes to building your character. The current system where your survivability primarily comes from the "kill everything in a blink of an eye so it can't hit you at all" combined with as large life/ES pool as possible + a form of instant leech is just horrendous and stifles creativity in terms of character building.

@tinko92
Ok you say "GGG doesn't want to" and i can agree, but what is the reason for that in your opinion. I can totally see that the desires of the players to have this clear speed meta is a large factor in that decision.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Mar 28, 2017, 1:27:42 PM
"
KorgothBG wrote:

@tinko92
Ok you say "GGG doesn't want to" and i can agree, but what is the reason for that in your opinion. I can totally see that the desires of the players to have this clear speed meta is a large factor in that decision.

Same as why melee has been left behind compared to ranged since at least Open Beta.
Who the fuck knows, we can guess that they like it that way since we've all heard the old "we're making a game that we want to play".
I don't know if i buy into that answer from GGG, when it comes to a business and PoE is a buisness, such decisions are not based on whim. Don't tell me that one day Chris woke up and said "Hey you know what, lets speed up the game! What would the player base thinks and want you ask? Well how the hell would i know?!". I'm sorry this just doesn't sounds very plausible to me. As i see it there are people who don't like the current sped up version of PoE, but i clearly remember and know people who hated the earlier days of slow paced PoE. Hell look at the comment of players who were not hook up on PoE - half of them would say that they don't like the graphics and the other half would say that PoE seems very "sluggish" to them, the battles are not exciting and take too long, the game is just slow, and that is kind of true for the early levels (which i actually enjoy quite a bit). So yes the current gameplay of PoE is "forced" to everyone but many couldn't be more happy about it. The question is would a change to the pace of the game end up with GGG gaining more players (and thus revenue) or loosing more players. I can't say that i know the answer, but that's what i'm trying to say - i can't proclaim to know that slowing down PoE is a win-win, no-brainer decision or if it's a terrible idea. But to me it's clear that it's not a simple matter at all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info