An open letter to casuals asking to dumb down the game or make rare items more common

The irony in this thread is the OP is a pure softcore non-ssf casual himself.
Latest game dev involvement: Male barbarian character model model - Conan Exiles. (waist down only)
"

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
IGN: I_NO | 99999999999999999k Exalted orbs
Level X AFK Blast sticks LOL | Legacy | HC [ Break ]
Level X Ice crasher | Legacy | SC [ Break ]
"
Completed 9 Challengessystemdown wrote:
As a casual (with kids, a full time job and other hobbies) - it takes me a week of calendar time to get anywhere near maps. Sometimes two weeks if I'm super busy.

I guess I must be in the minority that doesn't want any drop rates / challenges made lesser because of what amounts to MY CHOICES in life.

I *know* it's a tough, long grind for casuals and you know what - I embrace it. So much so that I'm doubly punishing myself with SSF.

Just so you know not all casuals are whining about the game being "hard" or whining that it's not a slot machine that pays out every time.

Honestly, Perq is mostly talking to the imaginary whiny casuals in his head with the OP. I see far more and far more impassioned complaints from no-lifers and hardcore players than casuals, mainly because casuals typically don't give two shits because I'd argue most of us DO accept that our choices in life will give us a disadvantage to those who don't seem to have one.

I'm also going SSF! It's great. Don't need better drops or easier monsters. Just need to play seriously for once. Throw away that sword. Pick up the daggers. Spam those spells.
I can't be doing so badly, because I'm the Ruler and you're not. You know. Say Tala Moana to everybody, OK?
"
Completed 11 Challenges鬼殺し wrote:
Honestly, Perq is mostly talking to the imaginary whiny casuals in his head with the OP. I see far more and far more impassioned complaints from no-lifers and hardcore players than casuals, mainly because casuals typically don't give two shits because I'd argue most of us DO accept that our choices in life will give us a disadvantage to those who don't seem to have one.

Yeah I must say I don't see much evidence for there being so many whiny casuals to validate the existence of this thread. I would hope that most of us rationally accept our situation and just get on with the game!

"
I'm also going SSF! It's great. Don't need better drops or easier monsters. Just need to play seriously for once. Throw away that sword. Pick up the daggers. Spam those spells.

Indeed, what a time to be alive!
Timezone: GMT +10 (Australia). CASUAL player but I play whenever I can.
Last edited by systemdown on Mar 8, 2017 12:11:50 AM
"
Completed 13 Challenges1453R wrote:
An open letter to no-lifer folks trying to squeeze 'casual' players out of Path of Exile...

Please stop.

Build-defining items should be available on a spectrum of rarity. Not everyone who doesn't have the chance or desire to play the game twenty hours a day seven days a week wants to be relegated to itemless SSF junk-tier Flameblast all league erry league. We would like yo try cool and interesting stuff too.

Thank you for your (complete lack of) patience and understanding.

We're not trying to squeeze you out of Path of Exile. We're don't hate you or view as worse. It is just that the amount of casuals is always higher than those who dedicate maybe a little bit too much time to play. And you are asking to make game easier and shorter for us.

We like playing a lot. If you ask for changes that make acquiring everything faster, you are effectively cutting some of the game for us.
Again, this is what happened to D3. Where are all those people who asked for those changes? Here? Asking for more changes? D:

If you are asking for understanding, please, show some first.

"
Completed 6 ChallengesPsomm wrote:
SSF Hardcore is for you, yet I'm not seeing you playing there Mr. Casual...

Complaining about people's opinions is moot.

I like trading. I play with my friends. I don't like HC.
How is your proposal relevant to any extent?

Complaining about people complaining about people's opinions is also moot. :)

"
Completed 11 Challenges鬼殺し wrote:

It seems to me that not only you don't play the game anymore, but you also don't pay attention to what is going on in forums and Reddit. :@
Well, shit.

"

How is that relevant to anything I said? :) Argumentum ad personam, try again.

Ps. Use less salt - it is bad for you health. In every possible way. :-)

"
Completed 9 Challengessystemdown wrote:
As a casual (with kids, a full time job and other hobbies) - it takes me a week of calendar time to get anywhere near maps. Sometimes two weeks if I'm super busy.

I guess I must be in the minority that doesn't want any drop rates / challenges made lesser because of what amounts to MY CHOICES in life.

I *know* it's a tough, long grind for casuals and you know what - I embrace it. So much so that I'm doubly punishing myself with SSF.

Just so you know not all casuals are whining about the game being "hard" or whining that it's not a slot machine that pays out every time.

Be blessed. :)
Of course I'm not talking about every single casual out there. There are people who play casually and are ok with not getting on the top of the ladder. This is quite simply being realistic.

This is exactly what I'm asking for - so that casual players are like you, embracing the difficulty and not trying to get rid of it with moaning on forums and/or Reddit.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
Builds - https://www.dropbox.com/s/g34poofo61g4fv4/Builds.txt?dl=0
Hall of Lame - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1456980
Last edited by Perq on Mar 8, 2017 1:16:01 AM
You're right. I RMTed these achievements. Naughty me.

Fuck the PoE subreddit. Seriously. It hasn't had any worth to me since Chris was the moderator there, which was certainly before most of the current users even arrived, brought by whatever streaming mouthpiece led them. It's mostly comprised of people too lazy to make the effort to look or post here, or too rude to stick around for long. GGG's continued validation of the PoE subreddit is a black mark against them...but in their defence, reddit has a FAR superior UI than this old beta clunker, and things said by devs rise to the top like the sweetest cream those trogs ever tasted.

If you want to really see who's been ruining this game, that's where you'd want to start the search. And probably stop. Those johnny-come-latelies have repeatedly coerced GGG into making this game less than it once was or could have been.

I obviously DO pay attention to these fora, and I've already said what I see here. Far more elitist whingeing about imaginary casual-zealots trying to turn the game into some weird mix of Diablo 3 and Candy Crush Saga...whereas most of us really are basically content with the game. I don't see an ongoing attempt to make the game harder for ranged players and more viable for melee 'dumbing it down', and that's probably THE most common complaint I see from casuals, because casuals are infamous for not playing the meta, and the meta is ranged spam all the way.

Again, if that's what works, cool. I'll embrace that to chase challenges or get through 3.0. But I really, truly do not see that many posts on here by casual players asking for a drop in item rarity or dumbing the game down. Feel free to disabuse of this with a barrage of links.
I can't be doing so badly, because I'm the Ruler and you're not. You know. Say Tala Moana to everybody, OK?
Last edited by 鬼殺し on Mar 8, 2017 1:26:01 AM
lol... rare is rare.... rng is rng...

if everything is so easily obtainable.. wheres the fun in that?

Day 1 of launch, 80% of the player base gets BIS items... LOL
This thread is too casual for my taste buds.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Mar 8, 2017 1:49:18 AM
"
This thread is too casual for my taste bud.

Wait, are you calling him 'bud', or do you really just have one taste bud? Because that'd be weird. Really weird.
Staph hurting my casual heart. i can only play for 3nights a week mostly on FRI,SAT & SUN, staph pls!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info