An open letter to casuals asking to dumb down the game or make rare items more common

"
Cyndershade wrote:
I agree with you for the most part, I do however wish that the cost of entry on mildly interesting builds was slightly lower for maps around the t10 area. I think a lot of people who don't have a ton of time to sink into leagues kind of get the shaft in terms of being able to enjoy the experience - while the people who have tons of time obliterate all the content available to them and hit the, "now what" side of the game which I've hit a few times now myself.

I believe that there's a comfortable middle-ground here somewhere in terms difficulty scaling. I think that more accepting low and middle difficulty areas are definitely a start - if you were able to do higher content with less quality gear you'd have more to do before it was time to complain you couldn't get anything done. Add some higher difficulty top-tier content for streamers to really work for so we don't have level 100's in hardcore in 3 days every league like we do now, a lot of this game's balance is built around 1% of the player-base.

That's just my two cents, I've been playing this game forever and I've seen it harder and less hard, items used to drop less and be less useful. I do feel like it's gotten to the point where just about every unique is valueless unless it's a shav's or something, unique validity and scaling needs a serious makeover as well. What am I supposed to do with all these wanderlust's man?

You can get into t10 maps with a 4L and no specific uniques. How much cheaper could it even be?
im new to the game. thankfully im not like the ones you described.
im very happy to have found a game that needs more time then 2 hours :P stupid kids
"
raics wrote:
"
Arrowneous wrote:
Yes, Wraeclast should have been buried at least 5 feet deep in trash by now. I guess there are enough trash eating creatures to keep the garbage in check.

It's mostly these little guys, they can just as easily gobble up monkey dung as bite through a steel pipe. Just don't feed them after midnight like this girl did, any time after midnight, actually.

That movie had so much potential...........
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
Baugoti wrote:
Personally for someone who is married / works/ goes out ect. I don't think anything should change.

Here is my thinking:

You see someone like Ziz who plays 20+ hours a day for a few days straight. Awesome.. good for him he is able to dedicate that time. You see him get his 2nd.. or 3rd 6 link in that time period.

He has almost 3 full days of /played time.

Now for someone that cannot dedicate that amount of time per day will reach 3 days of /played time in say 2 weeks, maybe more. It is still the same 3 days played time, and most likely you will be in the same boat as he is with the same amount of time invested. Maybe further as prices tend to be cheaper as the leagues go on.

My feeling is that some people see streamers and you-tubers doing end game content and think "that looks cool... why can't I do that!" without taking in the actual amount of play time into account. It's not like they are playing 3 hours a day and just get all the luck in the world.

Maybe something can be done with the drops, but in doing so those same "Hardcore" players will just do the content faster than before.. and if you make the game more difficult but the items easier to get... they will still reach end game long before anyone else cause they put in the time sooner... but still the same play time to reach that same goal.

While this is great as a concept, it is completely false. The amount of currency you can make in the first three days is VASTLY more than what you can do two weeks later. If Ziz jumped in and did the exact same gameplay but started on week 3, he would probably make about half as much money. Maps sell for more, more people want challenge kills, and I SWEAR T1 unique drops more the first week of a league... not to mention that there is a sweet spot to buy certain gear. Day 3 of a league maps sell higher in terms of chaos orbs AND certain build enabling uniques (like voll's amulet) are cheaper. So people like Ziz get to rush to endgame, sell stuff at inflated prices, buy the gear they need for a reasonable price, and make tons of currency.

If you are farming uber atziri/ uber lab/ shaper/ or this league, the wolf king early on in the league the items sell for like double of what they do three weeks later, while some of the needed items (such as voll's amulet, presence of chayula (hell, any of the breach gear) is around 100 chaos, while three weeks later the stuff to get into end game (such as chayula fragments) cost more, and the return on investement is lower.
I guess I will have to buy a one way ticket to hell with your lives
Game already is too casual. First of all our DPS is 10x higher than in 1.0 when I came. This means we can eliminate danger before it imperils us in any way. Then drop rates were buffed across the board, 400% on unique and so on. Then masters to fill in what you are lacking like resits is a popular choice. I bitched a long time about power creep. And ppl would say "well aim you trade for best shit OFC its easy. You make it easy." Naw man it's still easy SSF. Dont even need to trade really and still do fine. I'm guessing I may run into brick walls at the "big 6" (guardians, shaper, UBER) we will see. I'm pretty casual after all, play consistent like 10 hrs a week and stay busy whole ladder, lvl 87 and not ready yet, gems are not 20 yet.
Git R Dun!
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Game already is too casual. First of all our DPS is 10x higher than in 1.0 when I came. This means we can eliminate danger before it imperils us in any way. Then drop rates were buffed across the board, 400% on unique and so on. Then masters to fill in what you are lacking like resits is a popular choice. I bitched a long time about power creep. And ppl would say "well aim you trade for best shit OFC its easy. You make it easy." Naw man it's still easy SSF. Dont even need to trade really and still do fine. I'm guessing I may run into brick walls at the "big 6" (guardians, shaper, UBER) we will see. I'm pretty casual after all, play consistent like 10 hrs a week and stay busy whole ladder, lvl 87 and not ready yet, gems are not 20 yet.

Masters may have a contributed to the power creep, but Essence is what really pushed it. Pretty much became a better version of an alch. DPS has increased a lot due to the amount of mechanics implemented in the game. 1.0 may have been a full game, but it is much smaller compare to what it is now and 3.0 will further make 1.0 more miniscule. Though, there is one thing you forgot to take into consideration, knowledge is power and the more you know about the mechanics in PoE, the more you can find ways to make your build more powerful than it is originally intended.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

This forum just reached level 103. Added to bookmarks.
Hf :)
"
Perq wrote:
"
Pinchyskree wrote:
Now we just need the sister thread:

An open letter to no lifers asking to over complicate the game or make it take more time to progress to give a false sense of real life achievement

And funnily enough, your logic works both ways.
Casuals want to make game easier, so they feel they achieved something (false sense of real life achievement), because they can't simply play the game. They need to WIN. And if anyone ever has more wealth/higher level, they will feel inferior (inferiority complex taken from their real life, as one might assume) and cry about it on the forums.
And when they are confronted with the arguments, they will go with standard at least I have a life/get a life.
I sense a projection here btw, but hey, who am to judge? :V

Except it has nothing to do with a sense of achievement and everything to do with the level of fun.

So you can take the strawman argument you made and throw it away.

The game shouldn't be a second job just to get to that point.

Of course, if you are a jobless or lifeless individual who can devote them self to the game and have a delusion which makes you believe that anyone cares about anything you have done here that's your own problem.
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
That movie had so much potential...........

Considering that the second book wasn't quite as good as the first one either and that they say Senor Spielbergo only signed the work done by a bunch of amateur tossers, maybe not. And the way they merged a black male kid and a white female kid into a black female kid? That was a stroke of pure genius.

Though if you ask me, the 3rd and 4th part were even worse, a total waste of time.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:

Considering that the second book wasn't quite as good as the first one either and that they say Senor Spielbergo only signed the work done by a bunch of amateur tossers, maybe not. And the way they merged a black male kid and a white female kid into a black female kid? That was a stroke of pure genius.

Though if you ask me, the 3rd and 4th part were even worse, a total waste of time.

I did not have much hype for the 3rd movie, so I found it okay. Though, having seen the 1st movie, I loved it so much that I was hoping for the Lost World to continue where the prequel left off. As for Jurassic World, I did not even see it. lol
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Mar 25, 2017, 8:00:17 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info