Donald Trump and US politics

"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Kellog wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:
There's nothing contradictory about the term alt-left. It is an invented term, just as alt right was invented. While the latter was purportedly invented by its own users, the former was invented by opponents of the group. Groups invent new names for themselves to hide from hide from past misdeeds and to put a fresh face on an old horse and trying to sell it as somethingh new. This is what happened with Greenhouse Effect -->Global Warming -->Climate Change. The Alt-Left was invented to describe people who had strayed beyond being adamantly critical and had moved into actual violence or endorsing violence as a legitimate political tool.

The term fits that group as neatly as alt right fits those who think violence and intimidation are legitimate tools to promote nationalism or race supremacism of any kind.
I believe this is completely incorrect. Those falling under the umbrella tag of 'alt-right' are happy to identify themselves as such. The alt-left tag is not something created by those supposedly falling into that category, it's a construction of Hannity and Trump to push an agenda. Moreover, using the term alt-left, seems to put forward the idea of moral equivalence and that is not the case.
Thanks. Yes.

The alt in alt right indicates that this subgroup has very divergent views from the traditional right. For example, a very gay provocateur in a camp typically spiked with heteronormativity. And that's fine.

But the left doesn't have that because it's already divergent.
What exactly is divergent about going along with mainstream media and political correctness? Do you really consider people of color inherently divergent? This makes me seriously wonder how you define "left" and "right."

In the context of identity politics in a democratic state...
* the Right seeks government intervention
1) favoring (near-)majority and/or traditional demographics and/or
2) against minority and/or untraditional demographics.
Ex: a state definition of marriage as between a man and a woman.
* the Left seeks government intervention
1) against (near-)majority and/or traditional demographics and/or
2) favoring minority and/or untraditional demographics.
Ex: laws restricting the freedom of speech to call anyone by any gender pronouns one chooses.
* the Center, if one exists, seeks equal or no government intervention
1) for or against (near-)majority and/or traditional demographics and/or
2) for or against minority and/or untraditional demographics.
Ex: advocating the repeal of Affirmative Action.

It is important to understand that the identitarian Right, by its nature, does not need to depend heavily on coalitions of various demographics; it represents majority or near-majority demographics, and thus only allies with minority demographics when that minority is in ideological agreement. The Left, in contrast, must form a coalition of many smaller demographics to gather the numbers to challenge the Right. From a strictly identitarian perspective focused on race, gender, etc, this does imply diversity; however, from an ideological perspective this implies precisely the opposite, as the Left needs a unifying ideology to unite its coalition far more than the Right does.

The great danger of the alt-left is that the Left in general loves its ideological hegemony so much that alt-left ideas rarely remain alt for very long.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 20, 2017, 12:44:22 AM
The "alt left" is a misnomer. Left-wing terrorists are well established and operating already for decades (50+ years), so it's not an "alternative" movement that came about recently.

When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Aug 20, 2017, 2:00:29 AM
"
Xavderion wrote:
So? Both tweets can be correct at the same time. And they are.

Only in the minds of Trumpers.
Last edited by Kellog on Aug 20, 2017, 3:16:38 AM
"
Kellog wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
Spoiler
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
DalaiLama wrote:

Did the Boston mayor thank the ones throwing rocks and bottles of urine at people too?

Spoiler
UBkAC2J

Of the 27 people (last time I looked) arrested for violence, how many were alt-right thugs and how many were alt-left thugs? I'll give a hint, these are not the statistics the MSM is looking for.

The police also said:
"
Boston Police Commissioner says an estimated 40,000 people turned out today. Here’s a look at the crowd earlier:

33 arrested. I don't condone the violence perpetrated by this extremely small minority but at least they didn't murder anyone.

"
Boston Police Commissioner: "99.9% of the people were here for the right reason, and that was to fight bigotry and hate"

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Kellog wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
Spoiler

Trumpers do like their pictures.
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
Kellog wrote:
I believe this is completely incorrect. Those falling under the umbrella tag of 'alt-right' are happy to identify themselves as such.
I didn't say they were happy about it, I just said it is fitting.

It's not. They have a label, it's Antifa or Anti-facist. It's all they need.

"
You're right, the alt-left is potentially much more dangerous, due to numbers, organized funding and the support of the MSM and elected politicians.

Seriously! Do you believe those on the right are without considerable funding or support. Moreover, support isn't just home grown.

"
The alt right does have a small minority of rabid racist people, some of whom might commit violence. The Alt-left has dozens, hundreds or more of people we KNOW are willing to commit violence because they are arrested for doing so regularly, such as in Boston today.

33 arrested in Boston out of 40,000.

Please provide a source for the additional "dozens, hundreds or more of people we KNOW are willing to commit violence".

Spoiler

It will be interesting to see the MSM coverage of the Florida cop killer Malik Mohammed Ali and whether he has any ties to Alt-left groups or was just acting on his own yesterday. His facebook page was archived and a marine who served with Malik confirmed the identity.

Meanwhile the Alt-Left's anti-statue frenzy continues unabated with attacks against Abraham Lincoln, and Catholic Saints

These people are unhinged. They do NOT represent mainstream liberals, and they are significantly different in their views (people deserving to be hurt by violence) from the average liberal or progressive. That is why they are the ALT-left now. The more the MSM complains about the label, the more it will stick, Streisand effect and all that.

And now it's at least 33 of these peaceful Alt-Leftists arrested. I'm not sure why the police are so mean to them, they look so peaceful:

[/quote]
"
Kellog wrote:
Seriously! Do you believe those on the right are without considerable funding or support.
The neonazis, kkk and their ilk? I do think they have very limited funds and support.

"
Kellog wrote:

Please provide a source for the additional "dozens, hundreds or more of people we KNOW are willing to commit violence".

Here's 22 to get your Alt-Left Thug collection started.

If you start going back through photos and videos of rallies, protests and marches you can easily find more than that number. Of course not all were arrested, but the numbers add up. If you were getting your info from sheltered news sources, than you might have missed 2/3 of the activity.

Because I'm feeling generous, you can have a rare Alt-Left Lite thug, being arrested by Officer Scooby:

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
Kellog wrote:
Seriously! Do you believe those on the right are without considerable funding or support.
The neonazis, kkk and their ilk? I do think they have very limited funds and support.

"
Kellog wrote:

If you start going back through photos and videos of rallies, protests and marches you can easily find more than that number. Of course not all were arrested, but the numbers add up. If you were getting your info from sheltered news sources, than you might have missed 2/3 of the activity.

Because I'm feeling generous, you can have a rare Alt-Left Lite thug, being arrested by Officer Scooby:

I am disappointed. Only 20~30 people? See what I meant when I say you need to multiply their members a million fold to stop Hitler?
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
Kellog wrote:

"
Kellog wrote:

Hardly ""dozens, hundreds or more of people"!

Spoiler

[/quote]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info