Donald Trump and US politics

"
鬼殺し wrote:
I mean in responding to so obvious a goad in the first place re: wee should dialogue with the other when the other is 'nazis'. It's precisely the sort of smarmy 'but isn't this YOUR way?' crap I'm seeing from alt-right sympathisers regarding the situation.
1. That's disingenuous of them, because it isn't the progressive way. I imagine it is useful for unmasking progressives in liberals' clothing, but not useful outside of that.
2. I am not an alt-right sympathizer. My point is that even those I do not sympathize with deserve freedom of speech.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
as someone who has been to Auschwitz, I can say flat-out there is no dialogue with anyone who even vaguely leans towards that ideology. It's just ignorance and 'groupthink', as some would put it.
The alt-right has essentially the same issues with epistemological authoritarianism that the alt-left does.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Secondary problem is how smart some people can sound saying dumb-ass shit. it's 2017 and somehow nazis are again a problem. Come the fuck on -- how is that in any way, shape or form a sane situation? And given how many badly drawn swastikas appeared the day after Trump was announced as the 'winner', there's ample evidence it's all tied together.
Trump is not to blame for the current environment of epistemological authoritarianism; in fact, he fights against it with rigor.

However, I will concede that Trump focuses more on criticizing the alt-left than the alt-right, because his voting base is, by necessity, a coalition of centrists and the right, without whom he would have and will lack the numbers of likely voters to take on the hard-left near-majority. Trump doesn't need to pander in any way to the alt-right to gather what votes they have, there's no way they're going left, but he does have an interest in not pissing them off so bad they stay home instead of going to vote on Election Day. You can think whatever you want about this, but it's a numbers game: Trump cannot gain reelection without the numbers of the alt-right and the "alt-lite."
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 18, 2017, 6:38:15 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
there is no dialogue with anyone who even vaguely leans towards that ideology

And that's what every leftist says to justify their views against anyone who's to the right of them.

The mainstream Left is moving towards anti free speech positions, when most of the Right, outside of the extreme fringe, supports free speech as defined by the US constitution. As in, freedom of speech doesn't mean you have the right to not be offended.

Either extreme of the political isle only likes that system as long as the shoe remains on their foot. But once you set the precedence for that, then the other side will do it to you should the shoe find its way on the other foot, and then you'll start caring.

People on the Right very much understand the implications of the State infringing on things like gun rights and free speech rights. The left does as well, because it views both as barriers to their push for power. Most of the ideology of the far-left is just as much of a non-seller to the masses as what the far-right espouses. Both fringes seek to get in by using topics of discussion that are, or could be sellers, while not cluing people in about other extremely controversial ideas that they support. If they're backed up against a wall, like any good politician, they'd lie their way out.
"
鬼殺し wrote:

1) I do. Having read some of the things I've read, and reading between the lines (which is both problematic and necessary, even or especially here), I genuinely do.

List the names of the ones you think do.
I guess I just haven't yet reached the point where I'm okay with closing dialogue (and resorting to violence) to actual neo-nazis. They got the idea from somewhere, they can get a new one, but it has to come from somewhere outside their bubble.

If viewed as a societal disease, ignoring the disease only lets it fester. A harsh cure (say, amputation) may be actually worse than the disease. The ideal is a proper treatment; a medicine that treats the disease but doesn't affect the healthy tissue.

If they are a cancer, that is, something we cannot currently cure, then the harsh cure is the only remaining option. BUT, I've yet to see any proof of neo-nazi ideology being incurable, only ever insistence that that is true.

---

Departing from that metaphor...

I've seen no evidence that violent protestation does anything but delay the process of non-violent discussion. I've seen no evidence that censorship (backed up by threats of violence) does anything but delay non-violent discussion.

I would be happy to discuss that topic and change my view assuming that no one threatens to punch me in the face or tell me that I'm forbidden from discussing it...
"I’m leaving the White House and going to war for Trump against his opponents -- on Capitol Hill, in the media, and in corporate America."

-/ourguy/ Stephen Bannon (and Robert Mercer, of course)
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Aug 18, 2017, 7:52:24 PM
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Could be from The Onion but it's actually from very fake news CNN:

"Unmasking the leftist Antifa movement: Activists seek peace through violence"

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/18/us/unmasking-antifa-anti-fascists-hard-left/index.html

My sides are in orbit. Remember, ISIS also just wants peace in the Middle East...
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Most of the stuff on DailyStomer is said for pure shock value. I'm not saying they're not neonazis, they certainly are. But it's been the strategy of neonazis and KKK for awhile to be as offensive as possible, in hopes of getting media attention. That's their M.O, etc any media coverage is good coverage. Nobody will ever cover them if they try to closet the extreme values and propose reasonable policies.

And going on a witch hunt against them isn't going to work in this situation. They thrive in that kind of environment. They're already at the fringe, and turning them into a pariah will just make them more popular among groups they're targeting. DailyStormer is probably drowning in bitcoins after being taken down. They're attention whoring, and people are giving them attention. They'll find another hosting provider.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

2. I am not an alt-right sympathizer. My point is that even those I do not sympathize with deserve freedom of speech.

To me, it isn't a matter of 'deserve'. There are some vile people out there who don't 'deserve' any rights at all, but that is what makes them 'rights'. The right to a trial for instance is not based on whether someone is a decent person, which is why Gitmo and other such circumstances raised such a stink.

I think it is critically important for a society that wants to progress to have freedom of speech. If it were legitimate to shut it down anytime the public didn't like what they are hearing we wouldn't have had the civil rights movement
Spoiler
(look at all the efforts they did make to shut him down, and imagine how impossible if it would have been if it were all perfectly legal to shut down any protest)
, women wouldn't have the right to vote, gay pride parades could be shut down in various cities, pro-choice rallies could be shut down, the black lives matter protestors could ALL have been arrested and charged...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The same Constitution that Supreme court has used to bolster progress in civil rights is the same one that allows people to say things we don't want them to say.

There is no right to force others to listen to them though, and I think giving them more attention only bolsters their intentions. Look at the Virginia's governors comments today about getting numerous requests to hold more rallies.

If people will quit giving them attention (other than personal pushback when you see it) the supremacists will go back to slowly dying away, like they were doing.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
However, I will concede that Trump focuses more on criticizing the alt-left than the alt-right, because ...

SNIP

Because the Alt-Left is always attacking him? Because the Alt-Left turns a blind eye to countless terror attacks, but suddenly pays attention to one of them? Whether it is Barcelona or Cambrils yesterday, Finland today (listen to the video yourself, don't take pundits word for what is said) or Charlottesville, the Alt-Left reacts completely differently based on who the attack looks bad for. The left is being painted with the same stereotypical brush that they used to paint the right.

Trump is playing by their own rules and they don't like it. They can blame Saul Alinsky if they want. They can blame the MSM for polarizing everyone to see anyone who disagrees in the slightest as an enemy. Or they can blame themselves for not engaging in dialogue rather than making assumptions.

The MSM will regret that Bannon has been let off of his leash.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Aug 19, 2017, 1:54:25 AM
"
morbo wrote:
"
You called me "Antifa" not too long ago. Well, ofc I am against fascism and Nazism, but I am certainly not a militant Anarchist or left wing extremist.

I did, but only because you insinuated I'm some kind of altright white supremacist, before that :)

"
3rd world and low IQ, hm ? One of the things why I think, you are definitely a racist...

Yup, low IQ. Especially in Africa and the Middle East, which are the two regions that are contributing the most of the "migrants" into Europe. And the two regions with sky high fertility rates and armed conflicts, also.

World ranking of countries

Spoiler

Facts can't be racist.

You can't just throw IQ tests at various cultures and backgrounds and have similar results. Language differences aside, the experience with mathematics and 3D rotation can be vastly different, and yes that does matter as you can see from any tests of pilots vs non pilots.

What that picture REALLY SHOWS is average nutrional intake over generations. Japan wasn't always purple, and if you go back a few generations when their nutritional intake (total protein, vitamins, minerals etc) was lower in the past, so was their IQ testing.

Scientists who study this have shown over time, that once nutrition improves to what it should be, IQ recovers and jumps about 5-10 points per generation until it reaches what it can be. That number (5-10) is from memory, iirc some studies had it around 8, some lower and in one case it was 13, but I could be slightly off. The overall trend has been similar historically.

Sadly, the sort of information in that image, is what eugenecists used to support their attempted purge of Africn Americans (via sterilization) in the US, and what was used and relayed in direct mail correspondence with Hitler's team, giving him 'scientific' grounds for his actions.

edit - was heading out the door, and didn't have time to add a relevant bit. I was participating in a real life discussion about Pica and one of the participants (originally from Mali) was saying it was quite common for people to eat clay to suppress their hunger when there was no food to eat. "A lot of pregnant women do it. What can you do when there is no food." Another woman - from Tanzania, was talking about children having to get their medicine injected into their bones, because their muscles and circulatory system were so bad they couldn't be delivered by a normal shot.

The saying of "Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes” assumed the person is wealthy enough to own a pair of shoes. I knew a man from Jordan who was very proud that all of his children had shoes when they went to school.

Stable, less-corrupt governments are the first order of business, so that the aid to try and help them climb out of despair can actually get to the people who need it. Until we have that, we are trying to use a hair dryer to dry socks that are still floating in the river.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Aug 19, 2017, 2:14:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info