PC servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

[2.6] The Quadfire Chieftain - 275k+ DPS Fire everywhere! Searing RF Ray Firestorm

Thank you for the reply. To be honest I completely underestimated RF damage. I just dont need to cast Scorching Ray, except for bosses. I might switch to another setup, too. With the strong RF damage I usually go for short range combat so Vortex would be a great addition.

I also have a mana problem:
a) I cant continously cast scorching Ray in a 5L setup
b) I cant afford to cast Searing Bond

I will do the merc lab today so Ill have 10% reduced mana cost.
On the tree there are four nodes that could help with this problem, at the cost of lower life. You can get 57% increased mana, 20 Int, 20% mana reg and 9% reduced mana cost. My Searing Bond costs 82 mana right now while having around 700 mana (no %increased mana so far). With the four nodes and some mana on gear (easy to get e.g. on a ring) it would be like 1.250 mana. 91% reserved means I have 113 mana left. With 60% mana reg from tree that would be 33,3 mana per second regenerated so I should be able to sustain continously casting Scorching ray. Probably even two nodes (Deep thoughts around witch starting area + connecting node) would be enough.
"
raggapaul wrote:
Thank you for the reply. To be honest I completely underestimated RF damage. I just dont need to cast Scorching Ray, except for bosses. I might switch to another setup, too. With the strong RF damage I usually go for short range combat so Vortex would be a great addition.

I also have a mana problem:
a) I cant continously cast scorching Ray in a 5L setup
b) I cant afford to cast Searing Bond

I will do the merc lab today so Ill have 10% reduced mana cost.
On the tree there are four nodes that could help with this problem, at the cost of lower life. You can get 57% increased mana, 20 Int, 20% mana reg and 9% reduced mana cost. My Searing Bond costs 82 mana right now while having around 700 mana (no %increased mana so far). With the four nodes and some mana on gear (easy to get e.g. on a ring) it would be like 1.250 mana. 91% reserved means I have 113 mana left. With 60% mana reg from tree that would be 33,3 mana per second regenerated so I should be able to sustain continously casting Scorching ray. Probably even two nodes (Deep thoughts around witch starting area + connecting node) would be enough.

Yeah, I had some ideas (mainly templar area life regen/mana nodes) - tried a few options but the unreserved mana is just to small.

I feel the only real option you have is either use elreon ring(s), and/or use a heretics veil.

I also feel incinerate might just be the better proc skill - shorter range means no wall blocking scorching ray that doesn't proc firestorm bullshit. And most importantly, it puts all my damage in a radius around my char, meaning I can just play "melee-caster" ;)

The problem incinerate has... it is EVEN WORSE on mana issues!
The damage on Scorching Ray should be higher due to the debuff (-24% fire res!). Additionally Scorching Ray is much better on doing the Breaches. Just stand on the Hand and start spinning. Everything burns! :)

I will try to do merc lab today and gain at least two levels to see if that is enough to deal with the mana problem. Then I will come back and report on it ;)
"
raggapaul wrote:
The damage on Scorching Ray should be higher due to the debuff (-24% fire res!). Additionally Scorching Ray is much better on doing the Breaches. Just stand on the Hand and start spinning. Everything burns! :)

I will try to do merc lab today and gain at least two levels to see if that is enough to deal with the mana problem. Then I will come back and report on it ;)

It is not (I already have 6 nodes ;) ) - the 10% isn't enough!

my lvl 17 scorching ray (5 link) is at 19 mana, my searing bond totem costs 81 mana.
I've been running lv5 clarity along with blasphemy flammability/purity of fire since my 5L has a red socket right now, making it hard to actually use CwCh without losing a bunch of damage; its kept me with enough mana to cast scorching ray at least. 3l Bond is too damn expensive to cast regularly, but still possible. At 50 right now, and my ray costs 11 currently.

Also, I'd been thinking after hearing about the arctic breath suggestion a couple days ago: Would EE work? Arctic breath is a hit, ray is not, RF is not, and bond is not, so if I'm looknig at it correctly you could get an extra -50% fire res from CwCh arctic breath without a pyre?
Last edited by Aklyon on Dec 5, 2016, 2:50:26 PM
I am currently level 84 with all this BIS items, max resists, and about 5.5k life. Mana is the biggest problem, even though I am using Conqueror's Efficiency. I may also pick up an enhance to see if that makes a difference. Maybe respeccing some dmg on the tree to mana/mana regen may be my best bet, we will see. I just found a shavs, so I will be able to purchase a 6l soon, and I will be able to test with that.

I have been using flame surge instead of firestorm (to help with leech and mana issues), and I hate the firestorm interaction. I will switch to firestorm if they change so it casts either along the beam where your mouse is, or, akin to flame surge, wherever your mouse is.

On the tanky aspect, I have not started using fortify yet, but with 6 endurance charges and a Rumi's, I still feel pretty squishy versus spell bosses. I am still figuring out what flasks I exactly want to use, and I may pick up a taste of hate and an atziri flask if I am still having problems.

All in all, good job on the build, particularly for it starting out as a theory craft.
accidental repost
Last edited by gutsquasher on Dec 5, 2016, 3:35:36 PM
It's just an idea, i dont test it. Maybe, it's possible a bloodmagic keystone version?or at least bloodmagic gem version?
Sadly blood magic would not work. We rely on our auras for a lot of our dmg, and right now for mana sustain. PLus, running purity of fire would be a much bigger pain in the ass than it is now.
Hey there,

been playing your build since the second day of breach league, and so far I've been enjoying it.

A few things I'd like to discuss, while I am still not as far progressed as the OP or other people playing this build, I'd like to share my thoughts:

I wouldn't completely disregard Bloodmagic. Here is why:

Mana issues seem very apparent. We are going for RF anyway (to the point that OP thinks RF damage is enough even), so why not commit to it a bit more?
The other thread which promotes RF as a mainskill gave me the idea to mainly focus on RF until other things can be layered on top.
Scorching ray mechanics may undergo some changes still so that Firestorm and maybe even Detonate Dead may become more viable - We however need to compare our dmg to benchmarks which Mathil set with his Low Life SR Inquisitor - and we won't reach them of course - this is supposed to be a cheap league starter, but I really want to make it efficient as well.

Dual Curse I believe is complete overkill. I wouldn't even run one curse on blasphemy, when Shield Charge - Curse on Hit - Curse - Faster Attacks/Fortify is an option. There also is Witchfire Brew to think about, for when you really want the Aura Effekt and don't need Fortify.
We only recieve additional damage from one curse anyways - which is Vuln/Flammability. I would drop Flammability and instead go Elemental Equilibrium. Warlord's Mark is simply quality of life and wouldn't benefit us if we commit to degen more strictly apart from granting Endurance Charges. I wouldn't mind sustaining my Charges by casting Enduring Cry once in a while.
Purity of Fire I'd smack on an Essence Worm and you'd be good to go. Other interesting Uniques and setups include using the new Unique Formless Inferno for a godly amount of armor. Also I'm still trying to figure out how I want to support my SR with a Cast while Channeling setup. So far, Flame Surge seems like the winner of course, but we don't commit to Spell Damage as heavily with this variation (could use Clear Mind ofc), SRS would need a lot of supports to be anywhere near useful i fear, although I really like the idea of it. One upside is that Searing Bond totems are easy to sustain with BM.

Playstyle would be Shield Charge into a pack (get fortify and maybe already apply EE to some mobs), drop your Orb of Storms, get Elemental Overload and cast some extra Scorching Ray for even more -fire res while getting some sort of other benefit while being able to channel longer (SR could be kept low to minimize upkeep) for long periods with SRS popping out, Fire Storm, Flamesurge or Detonate Dead being cast.

here is a preliminary suggestion for my projected passive tree

would love some input on this!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info