[2.6] The Quadfire Chieftain - 275k+ DPS Fire everywhere! Searing RF Ray Firestorm

Hey guys,

when I first saw the Scorching Ray spell, I tried to find a build that would be fun to play and still affordable. Now with the new Cast when Channeling Trigger gem, I think I found a way.

|*********************************************************************|

|************************ THE QUADFIRE CHIEFTAIN ************************|

Current Build Version: 1.1.0 - Updated for 2.6. RF got a HUGE range boost, tree updated.

The Quadfire Chieftain uses four fire skills/spells to burn his enemies while profiting from several synergies:
- Scorching Ray
- Firestorm/Arctic Breath/Fireball or any other Cold/Fire Spell you like
- Righteous Fire
- Searing Bond

Due to the nice synergies we get 275k+ DPS, without any quality on gems and without any expensive uniques!

The Summary →
We self cast Searing Bond and Scorching Ray. With the new Cast when Channeling Gem, Scorching Ray will cast another spell like Firestorm. Both Ray and Firestorm are used in a 6 link chest and will therefore work as a 4 link with 3 support gems that increase the damage. From CwC Gem, Firestorm even gets another 9% MORE damage, so its more like 4 Link + 4,5 Link. RF also gives an additional 59% more damage to both, as well as to the Searing Bond totem we will use on bosses and harder rares.

Pros:
- Can play one handed and have the other hand at your girlfriend, beer, food
- Very tanky (6k+ life, 6 endu charges, armour, 27% block, fortify)
- Very easy to gear because you dont need any additional Intelligence or Dexterity and only about 260 res from 8 items (thats only 33 res per item)
- Very cheap (only one mandatory item that is only a few C)
- Two new gems: Ray & CoCH, you will have a totally new experience
- Easy to understand and build (no respeccing)
- Easy to play: just cast Searing Bond totem and channel Ray

Cons:
- Not your fastest uber farmer
- You can use one of the four spells (RF) not before lv 65
- Stationary while channeling, might be a littlee more squishy at boss fights that need movement (like Atziri)
- New mechanics and skills, meaning there was no chance to test it

The Tree →
Lv 91 Tree

The build uses scorching ray with CoCH to help clearing. Imho the worst point of the Ray is that you very often dont kill the mobs and they have like 10% hp left. It would be very annoying to hit them with the ray again. Therefore we add Cast when Channeling and Firestorm to clear normal packs. With Righteous Fire we also get a real nice boost (59% MORE damage) and can kill everything that comes too close. On bosses and harder rares we also cast Searing Bond for additional damage as well as more survivability.
We also utilizes a lot of defensive stats. When casting the ray, you have to stand still, therefore you are vulnerable to damage and need a lot of mitigation. The build has a lot of life, armor, 6 endurance charges, fortify and 27% block.

In case we have mana problems, I created another tree. This tree sacrifices some life and defenses for more mana regeneration and cast speed. With this tree you should be able to sustain a full scorching ray cast even without warlords mark.

Tree Lv 89 more mana reg

The Ascendancies →
This build uses the Chieftain Ascendancy.

I suggest using those nodes (in this order):

Tawhoa, Forest's Strength:
We get 40% increased armor, 10% to all res, 10% reduced mana cost and 10% strength.

Ngamahu, Flame's Advance
We get 35% increased damage against burning enemies (= every enemy because the Ray applies Burn to everything) and 15% chance to ignite, what will bring a litte additional damage from Firestorm.

Ramako, Sun's Light
Probably the most important node to sustain RF and add survivability. We will get 3% addition life regeneration from Endurance charges (0,5% per charge), we cant be ignited and we get a 20% chance to get an endurance charge when we kill a burning enemy (which is every enemy).

Arohongui, Moon's Presence
Adds survivability with 8% less damage of enemies around your Searing Bond totem and adds 16% more damage to all four spells.

The Bandits →
SC:
Normal: Skillpoint
Cruel: Skillpoint
Merc: Endurance Charge

HC:
Normal: 40 Life
Cruel: Skillpoint
Merc: Endurance Charge

The Gems →
Main Damage Link (6L: BBBBB B/R): Scorching Ray - Elemental Focus - Controlled Destruction - Cast When Channeling - Flamesurge(Bosses)/Firestorm(Clearing) - FasterCasting/Iron Will

Helm (30% Ele damage Essense 4L: BBBR): Righteous Fire - Elemental Focus - Increased Burning Damage - Inc AoE / ConC Effect

Boots/Gloves (4L: RRGB): Searing Bond - Increased Burning Damage - Rapid Decay - Elemental Focus

Boots/Gloves (3L: RRB / 1L: R): CwDT Lv5+ - Stone Golem - Tempest Shield + Purity of Fire

Weapon/Shield (3L: BBR): Blasphemy - Flammability - Warlords Mark

Weapon/Shield (3L: R/G GR): Shield Charge/Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Fortify

With Firestorm you can focus less on killing everything with the beam. Just move the beam once over everything and the mobs will melt. If they still have some hp left, the Firestorm will do the rest.

Flame Surge greatly benefits from the burning of the Ray (50% MORE!) and from RF (59% MORE!) and should help with bosses.

Firestorm/Flame Surge also profit from RF (59% MORE!) and 250% increased spell damage from the tree as well as from all the gems in the main link. They get 40% more damage as soon as they crits from Elemental Overload. With 2+ casts per second this should happen quite often and we also have CwDT linked to detonate dead, molten shell and tempest shield that could help with the crit.

The Gear →
I think about using it as a league starter because the build is VERY cheap. The only really mandatory unique is dirt cheap (Rise of the Phoenix). All other items can be 1C items from poe.trade and the build would still work. Of course it gets better with a 6L, so you probably need to invest ~20C before having a 6L and then another Exalted to get the 6L.

For the gear I would be looking for this stats:
- Life
- Strength
- Armor
- Capped Resistance
- fire damage
- faster casting/spell damage

Weapon: Doon Cuebiyari Sceptre
Amulet: Xoph'ethula's Heart
Shield: Rise of the Phoenix

Shield is a must have. Amulet and Weapon are close to BiS for this build. The other items would be a 6L Armor/ES Chest (since we need a lot of blue gems) and armor based Helm/Gloves/Boots.

My Gear (5 Days after League Start, Lv 79)

The Defense →
For the defense part we get the following stats from the tree:

191% increased life
224% increased armour
8,7% life reg / 12,9 with 6 Endurance charges
3+3 Endurance charges, giving 24% reduced phys damage and 24% res
38/30/30% resistances
+1% max fire resistance
20% chaos resistance
Cant be ignited
20% increased life flask recovery
1% fire damage leeched as life (only applies to Firestorm)
10% increased strength
292 strength
154 intelligence (will be enough to use any gems you need)

You should be able to get 80 life and 30 strength on every item except the shield (Chest + Helm + Gloves + Boots + Belt + Ring + Ring + Amulet = 8 items).

(8 * 30 strength from items + 60 from weapon + 312 from tree)+ 10% from tree = 673 strength
( 66 base life + (8 items * 80 life) + (12 * 88 level up) + 336 life from strength ) * 3,05 from tree/jewels = 6.399 life

If you take into account that we can get more than 15% life from three jewel slots and that some items like the belt, helm and chest easily go past 80 life, we can easily reach 7k hp.

We also use Fortify (25% reduced damage inc), Tempest Shield (3% additional Block), a fast movement skill (shield charge when we use mace, whirling blades if we use dagger) and we have 3% leech from Firestorm damage. When we use Searing Bond, monster deal 8% less damage. Last but not least we have a very good chance of creating Endurance Charges (about 50% on every kill, 20% on Hexproof enemies).

All in all we should be VERY tanky!

The Damage →
I tried to calculate the damage, assuming the following:
- Level 20 gems with 0 quality
- 0% mob res
- Full Lv 88 tree
- Elemental overload procced
- All spells hit

We use three spells to deal damage:

Scorching Ray
520 dps at Lv 20

Increased damage:
70% burning damage from tree
35% increased damage against burning enemies from tree
18% elemental damage from tree
196% fire damage from tree
39% spell damage from tree
135% from Iron Will gem (6L)
116% from Doon Cuebiyari
= 609% increased damage

More damage:
420% Implicit Scorching Ray bonus at highest stacks
59% Righteous Fire Gem
49% Elemental Focus Gem
44% Controlled Destruction Gem
40% from Elemental Overload

Max Damage
Damage = 520 * 7,09 * 5,2 * 1,59 * 1,49 * 1,44 * 1,4 = 91.564 dps

Righteous Fire
3.200 dps at Lv 20 (assuming we have 6.400 life (see "Defense") and little to no ES what should be doable with 205% life from tree/jewels)

Increased damage:
20% area damage from tree
59% burning damage from Increased Burning Damage Gem
116% from Doon Cuebiyari
= 514% increased damage

More damage:
59% Righteous Fire Gem
49% Elemental Focus Gem

Max Damage
Damage = 3.200 * 6,14 * 1,59 * 1,49 * 1,4 = 65.167 dps

Firestorm
2.542 dps at Lv 20 (calculated with Firestorm DPS calculator, 3 casts per second, 20% Inc AoE)

Increased damage:
20% area damage from tree
39% spell damage from tree
135% from Iron Will gem (6L)
116% from Doon Cuebiyari
= 559% increased damage

More damage:
59% Righteous Fire Gem
49% Elemental Focus Gem
44% Controlled Destruction Gem
9% from CoCH Gem

Max Damage
Damage = 2.542 * 6,59 * 1,59 * 1,49 * 1,44 * 1,4 = 87.209 dps

Searing Bond

1.756 dps at Lv 20

Increased damage:
59% burning damage from Increased Burning Damage Gem
116% from Doon Cuebiyari
= 494% increased damage

More damage:
59% Righteous Fire Gem
39% Rapid Decay Gem

Max Damage
Damage = 1.756 * 5,94 * 1,59 * 1,39 * 1,4 = 32.274 dps

Combined damage:
Scorching Ray = 91.564 dps
Firestorm = 87.209 dps
Righteous Fire = 65.167 dps
Searing Bond = 32.274 dps
Together = 276.214 dps

Arctic Breath = 74.593 dps
Flame Surge = 94.540 dps

Resistances / Penetration:
Also keep in mind that all those four skills have 68% fire resistance penetration on max scorching ray stacks.

The Playstyle →

This build is very easy to play. You just pop Righteous Fire and run through the mobs. On harder mobs you should use shield charge to get Fortify (25% reduced damage taken) and to apply Elemental Weakness (40% lowered resistance) and then cast Scorching Ray.

This build is also perfect to farm Merc Dried Lake. Just make sure you have one or two Quicksilver Flasks and 25% or better 30% Movement Speed on Boots. Since this build melts big bosses in seconds, I always killed Voll on Merc Dried Lake and was able to sell some nice items I got from him (798% face breakers, 15% int helm, several other uniques).

Quick advide:

Dense areas with low threat: Just start Righteous Fire and run through the mobs.
Dense areas with high thread: Cast Ray from far away and Firestorm + Ray will melt the mobs. All mobs that actually reach you will burn in the Righteous Fire and Searing Bond Totem.
Wide areas with low threat: Just bring a Quicksilver Flask with increased recharge, increased charges or less charges used and run through everything with Righteous Fire.
Wide areas with high threat: Move and cast the Ray from time to time. Let the Firestorm do the killing.

The Leveling →

18 Points
Just grab the first life nodes and first damage nodes so you can level with Firestorm. Craft a +1 sceptre and use it with Firestrom. Ask a nice witch to buy you scorching ray ;) And ask her to buy Controlled Destruction (1x) and Elemental Focus (3x)

34 Points
Make your way up to the Templar area and grab all that additional damage nodes as well as life.

60 Points
Grab more life and burning/fire damage. From this point on you can decide if you want to grab all the important nodes for RF first (Regeneration!) or if you want to go for more damage. Since RF hits only near targets, you will need it late in the game to be safer against bosses or packs.

82 Points
I will probably start to specc into RF when I reached this tree (probably around 65) and grab the second curse (Warlords mark for Endu charges) and the additional Aura nodes for less mana reservation.

The Possibilities →

Just to name a few things you could change if you want.

Flameblast If you prefer, you can also use flameblast. You wouldn`t need much adjustment and you could use scorching ray on your totem instead of Searing Bond to still add the 24% resistance penetration

Molten Shell You can also add Molten Shell to the Setup (instead of Tempest Shield). When linked to a lv70 CwDT it could help you in tough situations. As soon as you take >3k damage, it would explode for 25k+ fire damage (+ resistance penetration) and might save your ass.

Vaal molten shell If you find an unset Ring that gives you the right stats, you can also add Vaal molten shell for some tough situations. It will get 400+% increased damage from the tree as well as 100% more damage from RF and elemental overload.

Fire Trap You can also use Fire Trap. It will profit from a lot of the tree nodes as well as Elemental Overload and Righteous Fire.
Base explosion damage is 642 * 3 = 1.926 * 5,04 * 1,59 * 1,4 = 21.608 DPS
Burning ground damage is 519 * 5,74 * 1,59 * 1,4 = 6.631 DPS
With 8 seconds burn duration laying down three fire traps would give additional 75k Damage during a boss fight or for Strongboxes.

Swap Warlords Mark for Elemental Curse If you are able to sustain the mana cost and your life, you can substitute warlords mark with another nice 40% elemetal resistance reduction and get a huge damage boost.

The Questions →

Does this work with Blood Magic? No, it doesnt. You can only use Blood Magic to cast Searing Bond at the cost of one damage support gem.

Does this work with the Inquisitor Ascendancy? Yes it does. The tree is almost the same.

The Changes →

Current Version: 1.0.3 Five days after League Start
GGG fixed the targeting bug (Ray casted Firestorm at the end of the Ray) so we can go with our initial choice Firestorm!

Update 1.0.3: Firestorm back in business!
Update 1.0.2: Adjusted with the first hours of experience!
Update 1.0.1: Adjusted the levelling part!

Last edited by raggapaul on Mar 8, 2017, 3:48:44 AM
Last bumped on Aug 12, 2017, 9:35:08 AM
*edit* added Trigger setup. Feedback would be appreciated. I dont want to start a league with a build that has major flaws I just didnt see :D
Last edited by raggapaul on Nov 25, 2016, 5:53:55 AM
2 major flaws in using a damage CwC.

SR+2 supports > SR+CwC+FS in terms of damage (relatively minor difference overall).

Pure SR (or with utility CwC) can use EE(-50% fire resist) which is a huge damage increase. OoS might hit enough to flip it back but if the intervals are off you'd actually be further gimping your damage trying it.

As it is if you are running 6L SR, you can just wave it over things and they'll die. You're biggest issue is having to stop and channel and turn the beam to sweep it across the field. Neither FS or DD really solve that problem.

Also Xoph'ethula's Heart is an amulet not a ring.
Thank you very much for the reply.

"
Drekor wrote:
SR+2 supports > SR+CwC+FS in terms of damage (relatively minor difference overall).

If its the same but I still have better AoE with detonate dead shouldnt it be faster for clearing mobs?

"
Drekor wrote:
Pure SR (or with utility CwC) can use EE(-50% fire resist) which is a huge damage increase. OoS might hit enough to flip it back but if the intervals are off you'd actually be further gimping your damage trying it.

I dont like EE at all because I would need to cast even more skills/spells. Right now I would use my mobility skill and the ray, thats more than enough for me.

"
Drekor wrote:
As it is if you are running 6L SR, you can just wave it over things and they'll die. You're biggest issue is having to stop and channel and turn the beam to sweep it across the field. Neither FS or DD really solve that problem.

But with DD I can be less accurate because it should kill some of the mobs when I hit at least one or two of the pack, right?

"
Drekor wrote:
Also Xoph'ethula's Heart is an amulet not a ring.

Ye, that was a mistake. Thank you :)
for the weapon i would highly recommend - Doryani's catalyst.

1. Because max rolled catalyst will give you around 132% ele damage, 0.2% of life leech ( which is quite handy), Ele Prolif lvl 20 which can be utilized in this build quite handy imho, 40% global crit chance to proc Ele Ov. more reliably and 10% cast speed.

2.To reach the same amount of spell damage you will need at least 400 str. with Doon + Iron will in main setup,if you cannot get 6l in the begining of the new league Doryani's Catalyst would still be better. Next, I would prefer for 6th link faster castings cuz you can lower enemies resistances faster which is a must on bosses.

3. You should use Elemental Eq with Orb of Storm atleast on bosses just run into the boss run pop OoS and that's it 10 sec duration is purely enough for it.

3.1. I would suggest OoS + CoH + Flamability in this case. This means that you can get Blasphemy + WM if you would like to, or just get BM passive and cluster and use Clear mind (40-60% spell damage) if you are satisfied with your survivability.

3.2. With some modifications in passive tree you can even use Rightous Fire + Rise of the phoenix which means - strong ignites 59% more spell damage (RF lvl 20). in this case you would need to use Purity of Fire but 59% more is 59% more :)

well from my side this is it :)

Gl Hf.
Thx dude! I will consider RF. didnt even think about it as a support type of skill.

You think this would work with RF? has more AOE and more life reg

Using this build and Heretic Veil I could still use Purity + double curse and have like 19% mana left to channel.
Last edited by raggapaul on Nov 25, 2016, 10:04:54 AM
I believe it's gonna be a problem using the new unique ammy and EE since you get Avatar of Fire with it? You will deal no damage except fire even if you're using OoS..

Might be wrong tho?

The build looks really interesting tho, might try it out in the next league!
2-point jewel socket above Devotion, and go up the other side of the curse wheel
Have you considered fitting in Righteous Fire?

The changes that you would need to make to the build to accommodate Righteous Fire, would also help other potential problems (like ele reflect).

And it shouldn't be too difficult to include RF: Pheonix Shield and Purity of Fire (maybe) should be enough and will give a very large chunk of dmg.
Adjusted the build. It now uses RF and Firestorm instead of detonating dead.

"
spaggetti wrote:
I believe it's gonna be a problem using the new unique ammy and EE since you get Avatar of Fire with it? You will deal no damage except fire even if you're using OoS..

Might be wrong tho?

The build looks really interesting tho, might try it out in the next league!

thx dude! I wont use EE, thats why Avatar of Fire wouldnt do any harm. And we still dont know how expensive that amulet will be. If its 1ex+ I probably wont buy it anyway. Since this will probably be my league starter, I will have to invest in a 6L first.
Last edited by raggapaul on Nov 27, 2016, 5:40:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info