Temp Leagues are the metastases riddling this game (better now, support?)

"
LMTR14 wrote:
thought experiment:
so it's actually very simple to permanently improve this game so much it can become the best of its genre: REMOVE TEMP LEAGUES.
so you might say: play standard instead. I do. but standard isn't getting any development! (only the crumbs of league mods from time to time)
in short, the development capacity is squandered in my opinion.

Unless, of course, GGG's actual mindset is that Challenge Leagues are a sort of beta-test? Mechanics/items that work well get imported into mainline, ones that don't... don't.

They didn't nerf anything in this patch because of the challenge leagues. Mjolner was MORE OP in standard because we still have legacies -- which CLs don't.

Personally, I stay in STD because I don't have the time to sink into CLs every 3 months. I'm lucky if I can fully explore a new build in 3 months WITH the support of my stash. But that doesn't mean that we should shaft people who have the time and the desire to do it.
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
Ultimately if you consider the largest part of the game is a cancer you can create your own game.
Your enjoyement seems to be gone forever and if it's not the case it will happen because temp leagues are not going to leave anytime soon.

Gl to deal with that.

Hf :)
"
plodd wrote:
"
markww wrote:
Despite the fact that Temp Leagues are more popular than permanent leagues you think that everyone should be forced into what you want?

The main reason I like temp leagues is that the fresh economy gives you an opportunity to try things that are way beyond what you could afford in standard.

Temp leagues are more popular because people are bribed by new powerful league only items that they hope become legacy when they go to standard, see reach and voidheart.

Standard players get the worthless nerfed versions + all the shit dumped into it to destroy the economy further and further.

If people like playing temp leagues so much, go play them, standard dosnt want your shit dumped into it. All items and characters deleted at end of temp league.

Would it still be more popular?

If so lets do that and give standard a glimmering of hope.

I suspect like most people, my league items will go to standard and sit there. I've never sold anything on standard. I currently have 2 Reaches and 4 Voidhearts. They will just stay on the characters. Why would i want to generate currency on a league I only ever go on to test/play around with builds?
#NeverGoing90
"
SudianX wrote:
"
LMTR14 wrote:

why not complain about something significant, for once, instead...

I'm curious:

What would you consider something significant that would be more likely noticed in standard long-term play but goes unnoticed in short-term league play?

Kingdoms.

which is the name for the endgame concept (or now, alternative endgame concept...) I'm gonna propose later (I got a draft but I'll need to do the graphical components to make it look like a mock expansion splash page)

or generally speaking, a meta-layer. right now the layer on top is the char you're playing. whether you have 1 or 10 different ones. but consider strategy games - there you are the commander of a lot of units, so you're one meta-level higher. I can't see why it wouldn't be possible to attach a simplified version of that concept to this game. the gameplay itself stays the exact same! - but your actions affect the layer on top. it's as simple as colouring a world map - each square of that worldmap you colour by clearing a goal in the game proper. that concept is one possiblility for a long-term goal that is alternative to simply levelling your character to 100 (or trading for wealth, if you consider that part of the game), and one that might be best applied to standard and hardcore, since these leagues are the only ones that are forever.
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last edited by LMTR14 on Aug 31, 2016, 8:27:28 AM
"
markww wrote:
"
plodd wrote:
"
markww wrote:
Despite the fact that Temp Leagues are more popular than permanent leagues you think that everyone should be forced into what you want?

The main reason I like temp leagues is that the fresh economy gives you an opportunity to try things that are way beyond what you could afford in standard.

Temp leagues are more popular because people are bribed by new powerful league only items that they hope become legacy when they go to standard, see reach and voidheart.

Standard players get the worthless nerfed versions + all the shit dumped into it to destroy the economy further and further.

If people like playing temp leagues so much, go play them, standard dosnt want your shit dumped into it. All items and characters deleted at end of temp league.

Would it still be more popular?

If so lets do that and give standard a glimmering of hope.

I suspect like most people, my league items will go to standard and sit there. I've never sold anything on standard. I currently have 2 Reaches and 4 Voidhearts. They will just stay on the characters. Why would i want to generate currency on a league I only ever go on to test/play around with builds?

So according to your beliefs there will be hardly no legacy reach or voidhearts for sale in standard!!! Get real.
Last edited by plodd on Aug 31, 2016, 9:34:27 AM
OP just want to put one point, you said standard is not improving but GGG brings all the things to standard that proves good in temp leagues, bloodlines, torment, prophecy, its not like standard still has same game mechanics as when it was introduced. People only bitch when they bring the balance changes to standard, which is also game improvement, may be not your build improvement.
"
LMTR14 wrote:
thought experiment:

if the majority weren't so keen on doing the exact same thing every 3 months...

the game would actually have to be DEVELOPED to stay interesting.

so it's actually very simple to permanently improve this game so much it can become the best of its genre: REMOVE TEMP LEAGUES.

most of you certainly haven't thought about the game design underlying PoE. so you will likely laugh about the notion I'm suggesting. but with a little more thought it should become clear that to a lot of users doing the exact same thing, namely levelling and grinding a char from 1-90, while doing a bunch of challenges on the SIDE, only to discard that character afterwards, and start another one to do the same thing again and again and again... is kinda FUCKING BORING after a while. and face it, all leagues are the exact same, there's just a different buff over the monster's head. it's becoming more and more ridiculous to call it "new" or even "content" (LOL) with every recent instance

so you might say: play standard instead. I do. but standard isn't getting any development! (only the crumbs of league mods from time to time) standard is only ggg's unwanted stepchild and this has to change in order for the game to actually evolve. cause right now it's in permanent standstill mode, and the Atlas of mundaneness only cemented that. in cement.

I can only ask you to contemplate. how does doing the same thing in 3-month intervals provide you with long-term motivation? couldn't there be another way to be motivated to log in every day, working on goals not measured in months or even hours (races, WTF?) but in the entire lifespan of the game ITSELF?

in short, the development capacity is squandered in my opinion. ggg gets away with doing the lazy man's job ONLY because the players lap the resulting mediocre product up like it was manna. why? because there is no other game available that can edequately fill the hack and slash slot. nobody knows that better than I do...

so, people like to complain a lot about insignificant stuff, like skill nerfs or the appearance of creatures holding the life and mana balls. (again, LOL).

why not complain about something significant, for once, instead...

REMOVE TEMP LEAGUES TO MAKE ONE CONSISTENT GAME THAT AIMS AT MOTIVATING ALL PLAYERS IN THE LONG-TERM

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !!!!!!!! compared to real life, standard is the usual working year and temp league are hollidays...of course,everybody prefer hollidays...but with only hollidays,the whole world woud be ruined...so,fu..in' yeah , the dev of the game would stay focused on standard...!!!

have fun
learning is a painful process ... knowledge is the most deadly weapon.
I just wish there was more time between leagues, like a month at least. Dont like standard? You got some free time to play a game on your backlog (lets be real, if you're like me POE has caused your game library to develop cobwebs.)

Three days is not remotely enough time to sort my remove only tabs and play around with the new gear I've obtained before I'm starting all over again and dumping a new pile of remove only tabs on my accounts.

Of course, I COULD just vendor everything, but I know there is some good stuff there and I cant bring myself to just sell it all without determining if it has some value, a daunting task made worse every league.

I have 3 full tabs of sacrifice fragments and half a tab of mortal frags and cant make time to wreck atziri like 100 times since I have 100 other things to do before adding more crap to the stash.
"
plodd wrote:

While this is probably true for some, it would mean I would never play a temp league again. The main reason I'm playing them now is of course to have some fun experiencing new league mods and such, but also to bring stuff back to Standard after the league ends. If I wouldn't keep my progress, items and currencies, I'd never touch those leagues.

Granted, I'm a "minority player" (mostly self-found, don't trade much, solo only) but I don't think I'm alone reasoning like this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info