Temp Leagues are the metastases riddling this game (better now, support?)

GGG should care about balance in standard. Well, not my builds. They need to stay OP. Everybody else's builds though. Okay, they should only balance stuff that is already balanced. No balancing unbalanced things. Remove every nerf they ever did and remove every buff they ever did. Give me release 0.0.1 again.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Well I don't play standard at all, I even end donating most of my stuff in standard after leagues.

I come to this game every 3 months for a certain amount of time mostly for the leagues.

I would stop supporting them if there is no more leagues and probably stop playing the game also.
Last edited by diablofdb on Aug 31, 2016, 6:32:16 PM
"
Dr1MaR wrote:
Temp leagues are the only reason that keeps this game alive. This is one of the most laughable thread I ve seen in a while

just like a feeding tube keeps a brain-dead patient alive. his life flashes by in his brain, again and again, with only the smallest of variations.

(these are MEDICAL analogies, support!)

shame nobody actually got the point of what I posted though. it's not about who plays standard vs who plays leagues. it's about developing time and the very concept of the game itself!

you call it burn out or being jaded by the game. I call it what it actually is: bad conceptual design. the excellent foundation of this game, namely gameplay and char building, is wasted!
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
"
diablofdb wrote:
Well I don't play standard at all, I even end donating most of my stuff in standard after leagues.

I come to this game every 3 months for a certain amount of time mostly for the leagues.

I would stop supporting them if there is no more leagues and probably stop playing the game also.

then tell me if you wouldn't rather want to have a reason to log in every day, instead of only every 3 months. and wouldn't ggg earn more money that way either...
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
"
LMTR14 wrote:

if the majority weren't so keen on doing the exact same thing every 3 months...
the game would actually have to be DEVELOPED to stay interesting.

i like provocative thought experiments and do them myself from time to time where people mistake them for real suggestions ;)

but especially since the new expansion mainly affects the whole game and temp league just gets minor imbalanced mechanics (which ggg themselves obviously didn't fully work out yet given the confusion about essence tiers, -levels, -whatnot) i think your premise is wrong and the conclusion totally unfair.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Sep 1, 2016, 6:20:54 AM
"
Doitfrlulz wrote:
temp leagues keep this game afloat
/thread

This. Temp leagues keep this game fresh, and updated. From what I have seen, parts of temp leagues goes to standard, if it is a worthy mechanic, like Prophecy. Standard for me, and some others say, is a gold mine, where you can be what you dream you can be in POE - cheap uniques. :)

"
Hackusations wrote:
Magic: The Gathering.

It is a key inspiration and model for PoE. It is about character building, learning the mechanics to develop different strategies, traversing a diverse game economy, and putting it all in practice as the game changes and evolves.

In other words like the release of new editions with older ones becoming legacy Temp leagues and changes to items is kind of the whole point.

Oh yeah! After reading that, I heard an audible click in between my brains. Leagues are just like MTGs Expansion blocks. I'm appreciating this POE method of Leagues even more. I wish there was a storyline that goes with it, well I like to see POE continuing for a long time just like MTG.

I can only hope that people who are not happy with this patch can see beyond their OP builds being nerfed to oblivion, and take this as an opportunity to start anew, to re-invest fresh in the rebuild of a new OP character.
Filthy Casual Scrub.
"Belief is the strongest metal of them all." - Izaro
"
crystalwitch wrote:
"
LMTR14 wrote:
if the majority weren't so keen on doing the exact same thing every 3 months...

But it's not the same thing, it's a new league with different stuff.
You do know that not everybody does the same build every league, don't you?

That is completely wrong. Of course they are doing the same thing over and over again (leveling a char).
Without temp leagues ggg could just throw new mechanics (like the league mechanics) into the core game. Plus only having to care about the core game would maybe set free enough ressources for additional testing so that they could only add already balanced items so that would be the end of new legacies too! It would be a win win situation!
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
i was an standard player. tried one league just now. and im back to standard

leagues are so active due to incentives ggg gives:

- bribe overpowered items (all leagues had at least one broken item forcing people to play to get it before it gets nerfed)
- league only content that is not moved to standard
- league being the default choice (check character selection screen)

new economeh people praise so much is pretty much identical to standard one after 4 weeks. sure you can exploit these 4 weeks and get rich. but.. it all goes to standard in 3 months so why bother when you can do your OP builds in standard? oh.. you cannot because OPasFu.. items are league only.

i bet that ggg would never do it but:

- league that has NO exclusive content (items nor mechanics)
- there is a new content but it is added to standard and this new league at the same time

just a new league with only selling point being 'new economeh'. do you honestly exect people to play it instead of standard? 60-20% split would reverse. because the lure is the league mechanic and bribe broken items. not the 'new league fad' we are forced to believe. people are forced to play leagyes if they want new content. introduce the same new content to standard and we wont even see 20% numbers..

leagues are mtg concept that turn this game into 1m peaks of interest in 3m i tervals. and if league starts to fade it is a positive feedback loop and it dies very quickly. the entire concept of leagues lacks merit if we remove the exlusivity and bribe items..
Like ive said before.

If temp leagues are so good and people like playing them so much, then all characters and items dropped in temp leagues should be deleted at the end of the league.

No more standard dumping ground for them. No more league only legacy items. No more destruction and oversaturation of the standard economy.

I doubt very many players on temp leagues would agree to this (judging by previous responses to this suggestion), because they know they don't play these leagues for the reasons they state.

Most people play them to gain wealth, because of the bribe items (soon to be legacy, see reach and Voidheart) and the increased droprates of items and currency in the leagues.

GGG use temp leagues to create false statistics on how popular the game is in the hopes of attracting more players and more revenue.
"
plodd wrote:
If temp leagues are so good and people like playing them so much, then all characters and items dropped in temp leagues should be deleted at the end of the league.

^ THIS, THIS AND THIS! Best solution possible!
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info