Reddit is Going Nuts Over Trade

Trade has issues for sure but what really concerns me are the number of people who simply don't respond to offers. It would be one thing if I got the 'player is afk' auto-notification, or even a 'dnd' message. But when I send multiple messages (sometimes just to see if I can piss the player off and get their attention) and there is no response or any of the aformentioned msgs, only 1 thing comes to mind: botting.
I'd really like to see public (trading) tabs finally implemented.
I pretty much always self-find since I can't be bothered looking things up and contacting someone.

The dangers of making trade too efficient are outlined in the OP. But you can deal with this by limiting discoverability, thus avoiding an auction house economy.
For instance if you remove indexing capability then people will visit your shop based on overall appeal, rather than the best price in the realm on one particular item. People will have a rough idea of the market value of common items, but a degree of variance will be tolerated due to convenience. Just like the real world the most successful shops will offer desirable items and fair prices to maintain their reputation.
"
raxleberne wrote:

Stay strong in your delusions pal, cherry-picked examples are valid arguments only for you and your whiteknight friends. Everyone else is tired of this shitty meme and wants to trade as fast as possible

true, most trades run like in your example, which is ok because i dont want smalltalk at every trade. it's the exceptions and the opportunity to have a pleasant talk what makes/made the game special.

catering to a loud minortiy who just want's to change the game to their advantage never made a game great.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Trade has issues for sure but what really concerns me are the number of people who simply don't respond to offers. It would be one thing if I got the 'player is afk' auto-notification, or even a 'dnd' message. But when I send multiple messages (sometimes just to see if I can piss the player off and get their attention) and there is no response or any of the aformentioned msgs, only 1 thing comes to mind: botting.

It's not bots, just rude people. Generally I find there's 2 reasons people choose not to reply:

1) They don't like your offer. Rather than negotiating, they choose to "not waste their time" with you.

2) They are "too busy" with something else. I can understand not replying for a few minutes if you're doing Atziri or something like that, but oftentimes they just don't respond at all.

I really don't understand either scenario - at the end of the day, they're trying to sell an item. They have a potential buyer waiting to buy it. Instead of working with said person to reach a desirable outcome for both sides (or even just politely declining), they waste your time by keeping you in the dark. It is immensely frustrating but unfortunately it has become a commonly accepted practice. :|
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
"
"

It's not bots, just rude people. Generally I find there's 2 reasons people choose not to reply:

1) They don't like your offer. Rather than negotiating, they choose to "not waste their time" with you.

2) They are "too busy" with something else. I can understand not replying for a few minutes if you're doing Atziri or something like that, but oftentimes they just don't respond at all.

I really don't understand either scenario - at the end of the day, they're trying to sell an item. They have a potential buyer waiting to buy it. Instead of working with said person to reach a desirable outcome for both sides (or even just politely declining), they waste your time by keeping you in the dark. It is immensely frustrating but unfortunately it has become a commonly accepted practice. :|

You're just plain wrong. I'm literally offering their buyout (per the already criticized copy to clipboard function). They may very well be rude--but I think there is more to it than that.
See option 2. I pestered a guy for over an hour once trying to buy an item he had (corrupted unique with implicit I needed - no others on the market) while he was doing uber services until he eventually caved and replied. I highly doubt he was botting uber atziri.

Why bother him for so long? Because I got my damned item in the end, and I was at work with nothing better to do.

In any case, I come across this quite a lot when trading. Offer the b/o and still get no response. If you do /whois, you can see them changing zones, and I'm not getting a DND message back, so I know they're getting the messages and either missing them or just choosing to be an ass because whatever they're doing is a "more valuable" use of their time.
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Jun 29, 2016, 11:33:00 AM
"
It's not bots, just rude people.

not even this, sometimes it's just lazyness.

i think if they introduced a shortcut to respond to the last incoming message, more people would reply on the fly even if they're busy.
edit: there already is a shortcut for that in the game: ctrl+enter
Last edited by vio on Jul 5, 2016, 4:13:59 AM
"
vio wrote:
"
It's not bots, just rude people.

not even this, sometimes it's just lazyness.

i think if they introduced a shortcut to respond to the last incoming message, more people would reply on the fly even if they're busy.

Choosing not to reply at all is rude. Even if it's done for lazy reasons. You're making another person wait/waste their time because you don't can't take 4 seconds to reply. Even a "nty" works. Literally anything.

Imagine going to your local grocery store, taking your items up to the register, and the cashier just stares at you blankly. Doesn't take your money, ring up your items, or even say a word. You'd be a little miffed, I imagine, having just wasted your time with them.

EDIT: To clarify, I understand if people are busy with lab/atziri/map or whatever. But I guarantee you can find a spot safe enough for 4 seconds to send a 3 letter reply at some point within a few minutes ("sec" or "nty").

Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Jun 29, 2016, 11:43:28 AM
"
find a spot safe enough for 4 seconds to send a 3 letter reply

could be one second if i can hit alt+enter to instantly reply instead of having to right click that dude's name.

i always respond to messages btw and it's bad that i feel i have to mention it here but this forum easily accuses you of everything bad if you push them to see other player's point of views.
It isn't the trading system in PoE that is broken, it is player expectations.

Note the comments in this thread (and many previous similar threads):

People love to haggle when they can pay less for an item, but they hate it when it is the seller trying to get a better price. That is called hypocrisy. Haggling is a two way street - some people enjoy it, some hate it.

People complain about low buyouts that aren't actually for sale - but they happily enjoy the lower priced items that some of these under priced listings cause.

People complain about a seller responding that they are busy. Who would have thought it? A player is actually playing the game and not sitting around managing their shop.

People complain about sellers not responding. Three factors to consider for this one. It is kind of rude to not respond to polite messages when a player has time to respond. The item might be under priced by that seller to help them buy similar items and not actually for sale.
Lastly, a player isn't obligated to respond to your offer anymore than a cute girl hanging out at the bar is obligated to talk to you. There are plenty of other fishes on Poe.trade.

My suspicions are that people are far too impatient with their trading. Every now and then I will run into a couple of sellers that don't respond, but the vast majority of them respond. A few are AFK - no big deal, I can try other sellers or message them again later.

I've had numerous times where someone was mapping and got back to me afterwards for the trade. I've had some tell me the item was sold a few min ago (and sure enough, a check later on shows it missing from Poe.trade). I've had people that were AFK message me later, sometimes MUCH later to see if I still wanted to trade. In some cases I did, and in others I had already made the trade I needed.

I didn't have a problem with any of these. From reading many of the posts, others feel like these minor inconveniences or wait times are like having their thumb torn off with a pair of pliers.

Allowing an AH would just turn any of the good deals into BOT flipper/trader food, and would drive down the value of higher price items (for those that are hoping to get a good amount of orbs for that really nice item they found).

An AH would lead to this game becoming solely self found, as the people that actually played the game were priced out of the market (both in selling and buying) by the flippers and inevitable botting.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info