Mechanical Questions Thread

"
Ikzme wrote:
The tooltip just shows completly wrong numbers.

This is pretty much the answer to all of your questions. From the start of the game until now it has been prohibitively expensive to try writing game code that can give you an accurate tooltip in all cases, so it uses a standard formula that gives accurate numbers in some cases but not all.

For example:
1. the "dps" of 386,9 indeed stands for "damage per second," but it is also only calculating using the standard formula, which takes the Hit Damage (which doesn't actually happen in game, but is attached to the skill you're using as a data point) and multiplies it by your Hits per Second and also takes into account Critical Strikes (which Death Aura might have data for, but can't inflict).

2. The Damage per Second of 6240.3 is a base value taking into account most of your damage modifiers, but not the enemy's modifiers nor your conditional modifiers, because the game itself can't accurately predict what type of monsters you'll face nor which conditional modifiers will have their conditions met at the time that you inflict your damage.

Making the in-game tooltip as accurate as Path of Building would be a colossal task that would likely make GGG spend thousands if not millions of dollars, for small marginal benefit. So they don't do that, because they'd rather spend those dollars on something more useful.

(However, now that they've been acquired by Tencent, they may pursue this project in the hopes that it will eventually turn at least some level of marginal profit. This is the realm of speculation and totally outside the scope of this Mechanical Questions Thread, so start a new thread if you want to discuss it.)
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Jun 27, 2018, 11:29:08 AM
"
adghar wrote:

Making the in-game tooltip as accurate as Path of Building would be a colossal task that would likely make GGG spend thousands if not millions of dollars, for small marginal benefit. So they don't do that, because they'd rather spend those dollars on something more useful.

(However, now that they've been acquired by Tencent, they may pursue this project in the hopes that it will eventually turn at least some level of marginal profit. This is the realm of speculation and totally outside the scope of this Mechanical Questions Thread, so start a new thread if you want to discuss it.)

I think its what this game needs most. Transperency.
You play the game, you die and dont know why? Thats a terrible expierence for new players.

I understand the devs want "hide the combatlog" cause its more difficult for players to figure out what dmg types bosses deal...

Im mean - its a bad game everytime i need tab out, cause a 3. party does the job better as the game itself ,right?..
I need PoB to calculate my character correct, i need a lootfilter to remove the useless loots, i need a logout script if playing hardcore...

I know its possible cause i know another game that has a combat log, a "what killed me" on player death. That allows players to find Combat Bugs. In that other game are players who spend weeks and 500+ trys on a single Boss cause they can see its possible or not.
If the combat log is hidden, we just die and will never know if its a Bug or not.

I guess they lose alot more players (and money) cause this minor problems, probebly more as the few thousend spend to fix it.
Its just a bad expierence if i cant trust the Numbers the game shows itself.

A huge part of the game is character progression, theory crafting - whats not possible ingame.

I would buy a Combat Log supporter pak :P

Last edited by Ikzme on Jun 27, 2018, 12:37:13 PM
"
asghanrs wrote:
Also in this topic of "Hit and zero damage" applied effects, what about Poison and Bleed effects ? Would hitting a tarde with a skill apply a Zero Damage Stack of Poison ? Or a Poison needs to do 1 damage to exist as a stack ?

An ailment that would have no effect is not applied at all. This is relevant for the purpose of modifiers "against poisoned enemies" and such, or on the player side "while bleeding" and so on.

"No effect" here means:

Bleeding, Poison, or Ignite which would deal zero total damage,
Shock with less than 1% increased damage taken,
Chill with less than 1% reduced action speed,
Freeze with less than 0.3 second duration.

Remember that PoE always rounds down, so a shock with 0.9% damage taken is not applied.

This cut-off is done after taking into account any ailment effect/damage modifiers (e.g. Beacon of Ruin means you can Shock with 1 lightning damage taken by the enemy).

Finally note that this only applies to ailments: effects that are not ailments are sometimes applied even if they would deal no damage (e.g. Scorching Ray, Cold Snap).

To answer your question directly: with Ancestral Bond, you can not apply any ailments by doing damage. You can still apply them through other means however, such as Vessel of Vinktar (shock), or Arctic Armor (chill). I don't believe there is any way to inflict Bleeding or Poison in such a way though.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jun 27, 2018, 12:45:08 PM
Hi there, i got a question about dual wielding and charged dash.
You read something different everywhere. Somewhere it states that every second attack deals the damage, sometimes both weapons deal damage...
Can some one clear this up for me?
Blade vortex viable for high tier maps?
I new i these game still learning strings/mechanic of gameplay. Build is witch i got forzen blast and ar with hearld ofthunder and ice disciple stil in search for items with enogh slots for support gems i want or consider to use - unbound aillments, greater projectile (for FB), elemental poliferation, charge critt, incresaed crit, spell echo, fast casting that for main damage spells, and other is mana problem for support spells? Eldrichbatteri risk with high DPS?
"
Ragnarök511 wrote:
Hi there, i got a question about dual wielding and charged dash.
You read something different everywhere. Somewhere it states that every second attack deals the damage, sometimes both weapons deal damage...
Can some one clear this up for me?

Charged Dash emits pulses of damage along its path at half your attack rate. So if you can make 2 attacks per second with Charged Dash, you will get one pulse every second.

Each pulse hits with both your main hand and off hand weapon simultaneously. I don't know if it is one hit with the damage of both weapons combined, or two separate hits. In practice this should only matter for applying ailments and for mitigation by armor (the latter should almost never be an issue in PvE combat with reasonable damage numbers).

Edit: See discussion below.

"
Megalomanka wrote:
Blade vortex viable for high tier maps?

"
spacedragon19 wrote:
I new i these game still learning strings/mechanic of gameplay. Build is witch i got forzen blast and ar with hearld ofthunder and ice disciple stil in search for items with enogh slots for support gems i want or consider to use - unbound aillments, greater projectile (for FB), elemental poliferation, charge critt, incresaed crit, spell echo, fast casting that for main damage spells, and other is mana problem for support spells? Eldrichbatteri risk with high DPS?

These two are not specific mechanical questions, and as such you will get a better answer by starting a new thread in the Gameplay Discussion forum.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jun 27, 2018, 11:26:30 PM
fix*
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:

Each pulse hits with both your main hand and off hand weapon simultaneously.

This does not appear to be correct. Instead, Charged Dash appears to use the default behaviour of all Attack skills that do not specify handed behaviour; it alternates between main hand and off hand.

Testing method: Resolute Technique, high DPS weapon in one hand, white level 5 weapon in the other. Expected behaviour was pulses would deal low damage, high damage, low damage, high damage, etc. Test results matched expected behaviour.

Youtube link of testing:

https://youtu.be/bcrRuzbT6xc

time stamp at place where it is most easy to observe:

https://youtu.be/bcrRuzbT6xc?t=67
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Jun 27, 2018, 10:22:35 PM
"
adghar wrote:
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:

Each pulse hits with both your main hand and off hand weapon simultaneously.

This does not appear to be correct. Instead, Charged Dash appears to use the default behaviour of all Attack skills that do not specify handed behaviour; it alternates between main hand and off hand.

Testing method: Resolute Technique, high DPS weapon in one hand, white level 5 weapon in the other. Expected behaviour was pulses would deal low damage, high damage, low damage, high damage, etc. Test results matched expected behaviour.

Youtube link of testing:

https://youtu.be/bcrRuzbT6xc

time stamp at place where it is most easy to observe:

https://youtu.be/bcrRuzbT6xc?t=67

I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same thing - I've been watching the rare monster next to you, and it seems to take roughly the same amount of damage with every pulse.

I tested with two Mjolners, one socketed with Shock Nova, and the other with Ball Lightning - both pretty visually obvious and distinct spells. Each pulse of CD (ignoring ones that missed, no RT) triggered both spells at the same time.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info