Mechanical Questions Thread

This may have been already asked and if it is could someone send me a link.

Should ricochet scale caustic arrow's cloud damage? or because that mechanic is linked to chains is it only specific to the projectile in that instance?
Q1) I want to play a Tornado Shot Raider (full elemental conversion). Out of the 3 ascendacy paths (Frenzy charges, onslaught and phasing), which 2 paths should I choose now in 3.2?

Q2) I want to start a new character, Ice Shot Deadeye (full elemental conversion). Which ascendacy nodes should I then pick up in Deadeye? Is pierce or chain or fork better for clearing packs using Ice Shot? What gem links should I link with Ice Shot? So far, my candidates are GMP, WED, PPAD, Slower projectiles, Added cold, Cold pent, Ice bite.

Q3) In the future, I want to try Magma Orb Assassin, focusing on high crit rate and crit multiplier. Is it ok for me to ignore the nodes regarding DoTs? What gem links should I link with Magma Orb? So far, my candidates are GMP, Chain, Slower projectiles, Chance to Ignite, Fire pent, Controlled Destruction, Concentrated Effect, Elemental Focus. I'm gonna use Pledge of Hands to obtain the Lvl 30 Spell Echo pseduo-link.

Q4) In my Magma Orb Assassin build, I will probably link Orb of Storms in a 6-link armor. Other than Curse on Hit and Flammability, what other gem links should I link with Orb of Storms? So far, people have been suggesting online Arcane Surge, Elemental Proliferation, Blind, Faster Casting, Increased crit rate, Increased AOE, Power Charge on Crit.

Thanks so much in advance!
"
LYC14 wrote:
Q1) I want to play a Tornado Shot Raider (full elemental conversion). Out of the 3 ascendacy paths (Frenzy charges, onslaught and phasing), which 2 paths should I choose now in 3.2?

Q2) I want to start a new character, Ice Shot Deadeye (full elemental conversion). Which ascendacy nodes should I then pick up in Deadeye? Is pierce or chain or fork better for clearing packs using Ice Shot? What gem links should I link with Ice Shot? So far, my candidates are GMP, WED, PPAD, Slower projectiles, Added cold, Cold pent, Ice bite.

Q3) In the future, I want to try Magma Orb Assassin, focusing on high crit rate and crit multiplier. Is it ok for me to ignore the nodes regarding DoTs? What gem links should I link with Magma Orb? So far, my candidates are GMP, Chain, Slower projectiles, Chance to Ignite, Fire pent, Controlled Destruction, Concentrated Effect, Elemental Focus. I'm gonna use Pledge of Hands to obtain the Lvl 30 Spell Echo pseduo-link.

Q4) In my Magma Orb Assassin build, I will probably link Orb of Storms in a 6-link armor. Other than Curse on Hit and Flammability, what other gem links should I link with Orb of Storms? So far, people have been suggesting online Arcane Surge, Elemental Proliferation, Blind, Faster Casting, Increased crit rate, Increased AOE, Power Charge on Crit.

Please read the first post in this thread. None of these are mechanical questions, and they don't belong here.

Feel free to ask them in a separate thread in Gameplay Help and Discussion though.
Hi Mark who knows how PoE works!

I have a query about the interaction between Magma Orb and the Gloomfang unique amulet

The Amulet states that:

Projectiles gain (15-20)% of Non-Chaos Damage as extra Chaos Damage per Chain

Obviously Magma Orb is a projectile spell which benefits from chain modifiers, so logically it would add the damage to each subsequent bounce.

However, Magma Orb doesn't chain in the traditional sense (seeking out a new target, no new target = projectile stops), rather it adds a fixed additional orb per chain (whether additional targets or not).

My query is

a) whether the Gloomfang affix is intended to work with Magma Orb
and
b) if so, whether it is currently functional in that capacity

I tested the interaction with what resources I had available before Abyss league and could not see an increase in the Magma Orb damage

I understand you are probably flat out with the new league on our collective doorstep, but if you are able to clarify this I would love to run the build this league if it's meant to work that way!

With many thanks as always
"
MadDogMax91 wrote:
My query is

a) whether the Gloomfang affix is intended to work with Magma Orb
and
b) if so, whether it is currently functional in that capacity

Yes to both. Every "bounce" of Magma Orb counts as a chain. Thus the second hit will have 20% added chaos damage, the third 40%, and so on. You can test this by linking Poison support to the skill, with no other added chaos damage: the skill will be able to inflict poison on enemies after the first hit.

The added damage will not be shown on the character screen (or for that matter in Path of Building either), since the added amount is different for every chain of the skill.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Mar 1, 2018, 11:23:55 PM
Can Spectral Shield Throw be supported by Trap/Totem/Mine supports?
"
thorscreed wrote:
Can Spectral Shield Throw be supported by Trap/Totem/Mine supports?

Read the description of the supports.

Spoiler
Ranged Attack Totem Support: Supports any bow or wand attack skill.
Trap Support: Supports spells, or attacks that use bows or wands.
Remote Mine Support: Supports spells, or attacks that use bows or wands.

SST is not a spell, and it does not use bows nor wands.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Mar 2, 2018, 1:18:42 AM
Okay, so I'm a bit confused on how the life leech actually works.

I've used the Life on Hit support gem, and can see the obvious health gain, but, after upgrading the gear that I had the gem linked to a skill gem not link, I noticed that I wasn't gaining any life anymore.

Note that I am using Vaal Pact keystone, so no life regen, and enough evasion that I can see my health stop dropping from enemy hits being evaded.

My weapons have 0.64% and 0.66% of physical damage leeched as life(respectively), and I have a passive that gives 0.4% of any damage leeched as life, but, even when going back to the basic attack, I was not seeing my life rise during my testing on some of the 'wildlife'. Can I get some clarification on whether leech needs an absolute value, or if there's something preventing it from working without a # life on hit mod/gem?
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
"
LYC14 wrote:

Please read the first post in this thread. None of these are mechanical questions, and they don't belong here.

Feel free to ask them in a separate thread in Gameplay Help and Discussion though.

Sorry that was my oversight! I'll make a thread in the appropriate forum.
"
Drakthon wrote:
Okay, so I'm a bit confused on how the life leech actually works.

I've used the Life on Hit support gem, and can see the obvious health gain, but, after upgrading the gear that I had the gem linked to a skill gem not link, I noticed that I wasn't gaining any life anymore.

Note that I am using Vaal Pact keystone, so no life regen, and enough evasion that I can see my health stop dropping from enemy hits being evaded.

My weapons have 0.64% and 0.66% of physical damage leeched as life(respectively), and I have a passive that gives 0.4% of any damage leeched as life, but, even when going back to the basic attack, I was not seeing my life rise during my testing on some of the 'wildlife'. Can I get some clarification on whether leech needs an absolute value, or if there's something preventing it from working without a # life on hit mod/gem?

Introductory reading for you: Leech.

There are several things that could go wrong; we can tell you exactly what if you go to your profile and make your characters public. Some common cases are:

* You are dealing too little damage to leech from. In total, you have 1.7% of damage leeched as life. If you do, say, 50 damage in a hit, you would leech 0.85 life; which gets rounded down to zero.

* You are not actually dealing any physical damage. If your skill or other sources converts all of your physical damage into, say, fire; you will not have any physical damage to leech from.

* You are doing something that your leech does not apply to. For example, if you have x% physical attack damage leeched as life, and you cast a spell, it will not work.

* You are doing something that fundamentally cannot be leeched from, such as damage over time.

Perhaps the most common cause, especially for new players with low level characters, is #1. But again, we can probably say definitely what's going wrong if you let us see your characters.

Life Leech has nothing to do with Life Gain on Hit; these are two entirely separate mechanics that don't interact with each other in any way.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Mar 2, 2018, 2:26:42 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info