Mechanical Questions Thread

Is increased area of effect on the OH global or local?
"
mdiesel_ wrote:
Is increased area of effect on the OH global or local?

A white weapon never deals AoE damage. If it was local, it would not do anything. So it is global.
I have a question about ignite stacking.

Say I have minions dealing fire damage, can enemy have one application of Ignite from each one but only the strongest deals damage?
I found explanations saying "other ignites will be inactive while strongest deals damage" but does that mean they do not count towards bonuses like The Taming ring (20% increased Damage with Hits and Ailments per Freeze, Shock and Ignite on Enemy) as "inactive"?

Thanks and apologizes if this has been answered somewhere, I just can't find it.

/e: Thanks Vipermagi, you're awesome!

Last edited by PhoriaNS on Jan 21, 2018, 1:12:05 PM
1. Correct, only the strongest Ignite will deal Damage.
2. Only active Ailments count, yeah.
I have a question regarding how poison works with Volkuur's gloves.

Does elemental damage increases like support gem Elemental Damage with attack skills and passive skill Elemental Overload actually increase poison damage produced by lightning damage with this gloves.
"
DAS13 wrote:

Does elemental damage increases like support gem Elemental Damage with attack skills and passive skill Elemental Overload actually increase poison damage produced by lightning damage with this gloves.

Poison deals Chaos damage. Chaos is not an Element. (Elements are Fire, Cold, and Lightning.) Thus poison damage is not affected by anything that modifies elemental damage.

I was wrong. See Vipermagi's post below.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jan 22, 2018, 1:12:28 AM
I have a question about the Eye of Innocence, totems, and the Tukohama Ascendancy passive.

According to all I know about how these kind of modifiers work, the "Take 100 Fire Damage when you Ignite an Enemy" should never trigger with totems, for at least two reasons. First, you only refers to the player character, not to any proxies. Second, totems use your skills, but not your items. The above property is a property of the item, not a modifier to the skill.

Yet in this build (and this video), Eye of Innocence is somehow used to repeatedly Hit your own totems when the totems ignite an enemy, proccing Tukohama's reflected damage.

I realize the build guide is quite old, from patch 2.4, but neither of the related objects have been changed in that time (other than a numerical buff to Tukohama's damage).

Can someone explain how this interaction works, and how in the world is Eye of Innocence proccing from ignites of your totems, and hitting them?

Last, tangentially related: the video mentions that resist penetration is a way to scale the damage of Tukohama, which is reflected damage. This seems to be in direct contradiction with Mark_GGG's post here, which states:

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Reflected damage cannot be modified by damage modifiers, and cannot cause on-hit effects, including penetration.

Again, I don't believe this has been changed since 2.4. Is the guide wrong on this point?
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
"
DAS13 wrote:

Poison deals Chaos damage. Chaos is not an Element. (Elements are Fire, Cold, and Lightning.) Thus poison damage is not affected by anything that modifies elemental damage.

Well then have I got some news for you!
With the 3.0 refactor of Damage over Time, derivative DoTs function quite similar to Conversion/Added As, in fact. The Poison damage is derived from unmodified base Lightning Damage, and then benefits from modifiers to Lightning Damage accordingly when determining final Damage.
Check out the bottom-most New System image; Ignite is being affected by Increased Phys and Cold Damage due to being derived from Phys->Cold Damage with Hrimsorrow. It's WILD.

So, EDw/AS and EO do in fact apply to Poison Damage applied with Lightning Damage Attacks when using Lightning Volkuur's gloves.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 22, 2018, 12:57:42 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Well then have I got some news for you!
With the 3.0 refactor of Damage over Time, derivative DoTs function quite similar to Conversion/Added As, in fact. The Poison damage is derived from unmodified base Lightning Damage, and then benefits from modifiers to Lightning Damage accordingly when determining final Damage.
Check out the bottom-most New System image; Ignite is being affected by Increased Phys and Cold Damage due to being derived from Phys->Cold Damage with Hrimsorrow. It's WILD.

So, EDw/AS and EO do in fact apply to Poison Damage applied with Lightning Damage Attacks when using Lightning Volkuur's gloves.

Huh, I must have missed that. Thanks for the correction!

However, due to the damage conversion order, does that mean that Chaos damage cannot ignite? (With Igniting Conflux for example.) Or would the conversion actually go "backwards" in this case, i.e. modifiers to chaos damage affecting the fire damage of the ignite?

What if you make a loop then (base fire damage -> convert to chaos -> ignite)?
(Edit: the loop is probably not a problem, since you can't convert DoT damage any further. Still curious though.)
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jan 22, 2018, 1:18:40 AM
Chaos Damage can Ignite, and said Ignite will benefit from Chaos Damage modifiers.

Fire -> Chaos -> Ignite "looping" doesn't matter, after all, Ignite is already Fire Damage :P
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 22, 2018, 2:22:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info