Mechanical Questions Thread

yeah cool thanks alot ! much appricated
ign: ROCSpoe
How does controlled destruction work? Seems kinda weird it says "100% reduced crit chance" so i'd assume it removes your chance to crit down to the base for your spell, but many crit builds use it and even if i use that gem on a crit build it increases my dps. So i don't really get what it actually does?
"
Brinstar4 wrote:
How does controlled destruction work? Seems kinda weird it says "100% reduced crit chance" so i'd assume it removes your chance to crit down to the base for your spell, but many crit builds use it and even if i use that gem on a crit build it increases my dps. So i don't really get what it actually does?

It works as any other increase or reduction in the game, If you had 1200% increased base crit chance the gem would lower it to 1100% increased, which why crit builds use it, the penalty is very low if you stack a lot of crit chance.

If you had no increases to crit chance and you equipped the gem it would reduce its crit chance to zero. However, you always keep 5% effective crit chance for hits that have any amount of base crit, so for a hit that has 6% base it will only drop down to 5% and it won't do anything to hits that have 5% base or lower.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
lichdeath wrote:
in my opinion yes because minions have their own IIR/IIQ and whatever the player has gets added to whatever the minion has and because minions have their own IIQ/IIR
windripper should apply twice now time to see if it can be made a viable lake farmer

Your opinion is incorrect. Minions use only the summoner's IIR/IIQ, not their own.

you are right my bad i misread in the wiki thank you for clearing this up for me too
Alright, I've tried searching high and low for this answer... Hopefully I didn't overlook it somewhere really obvious.

How are prefixes and affixes actually rolled?

Does it take the amount of mods possible and do a 1/142 or whatever, or does it roll the mod type, then the level of the mod?

Is there any adjustments made to the mods that roll? For some dumb reason I decided to try and craft a harbinger since I'm done with the league. 7,000-10,000 alts later and I have yet to hit T1% on an ilvl83 harbinger. I think I've hit T2-5 times?

Seems odd I can hit T1 ES T1 ES% T1 ES Hybrid on a chest every 20-50 alts, but I am lucky enough to hit T3 flat or hybrid on a bow out of 50...

I know there's always the saying of 'just bad luck bro,' but I'm more interested in learning about the mechanics of it. That way I can try to find the best ways of doing stuff.
"
humenbean wrote:
Alright, I've tried searching high and low for this answer... Hopefully I didn't overlook it somewhere really obvious.

How are prefixes and affixes actually rolled?

Does it take the amount of mods possible and do a 1/142 or whatever, or does it roll the mod type, then the level of the mod?

Is there any adjustments made to the mods that roll? For some dumb reason I decided to try and craft a harbinger since I'm done with the league. 7,000-10,000 alts later and I have yet to hit T1% on an ilvl83 harbinger. I think I've hit T2-5 times?

Seems odd I can hit T1 ES T1 ES% T1 ES Hybrid on a chest every 20-50 alts, but I am lucky enough to hit T3 flat or hybrid on a bow out of 50...

I know there's always the saying of 'just bad luck bro,' but I'm more interested in learning about the mechanics of it. That way I can try to find the best ways of doing stuff.

We do know at least that inidividual mods are rolled through weight distribution (that's also the way item drops are handled). For example:
T1 damage mod - 10
T2 damage mod - 20
Bottom tier damage mod - 350
T1 elemental mod - 450
To get the chance to spawn a mod you add the weight of all mods and then divide the individual mod weight by the total.

The part we don't know is if the game rolls 'prefix or suffix' first or just pools all possible mods that can spawn at that item level and rolls the dice. We also got no idea if the number of prefixes and suffixes that the item already has plays any role and devs are very reluctant to release information like that, what we do know about the mods comes mostly from datamining and general knowledge about how systems like that are handled in games.

And yes, the mod weights I mentioned up there are roughly correct, and the thing I didn't mention is that a bottom tier elemental mod also has 450 weight, and it's also the same for most other top/bottom tier mods including defense on armor pieces. You probably noticed it's much easier to roll a decent physical weapon on a low level item and that a high level one either rolls low tier physical or elemental mods of any tier, well that's the reason.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Feb 3, 2017, 4:38:51 AM
So, this is a strange one, but why is the targeting for Remote Mine + Blast Rain different than the targeting for Remote Mine + Rain of Arrows? After testing Blast Rain a while back, I figured they'd be the same (trying to target the nearest enemy to the mine), but when I tried it with Rain of Arrows it turns out that RoA doesn't target at all - it always lands where the mines were placed, instead of trying to hit the nearest enemy. So what makes them different here?
Hello Mark_GGG,

Is there anyway to tell EXACTLY which tier of affix an item has when the stats are composites of more than one Affix.

Specifically Increased Physical Damage and Increased Physical Damage + accuracy.

Here is the item in question

And here are the Affix Tiers
Because it has a accuracy modifier of +94 it must have the Conqueror's Prefix
55-64% Increased Physical Damage, + (83-99) to Accuracy

Now here is the hard part.

I can't figure out if the other Increased Physical Damage Affix is Bloodthirsty (110-134)% or Cruel (135-154)% ???

For the combo prefix of Inc. Phys. Damage + Accuracy are the two proportional? For instance 55% is always with +83 and 64% is always with 99... or are they independent of one another where I could roll a 59% with a +96 or maybe a 64% with a +84?

See the problem here is that if I rolled a 62% with the Conqueror's prefix (very high roll) and a perfect 134% with the Bloodthirsty Prefix (=196%) then the item is pretty much maxed out and using a Divine Orb would almost certainly ruin the item.

but on the other hand if rolled say a 59% (mid tier roll) on the Conqueror's and a 137% (Crap roll) on the Cruel Prefix I could end up with a HUGE damage boost and make this item dramatically better.

The problem is, I can not tell which % Increased Physical Damage Tier I rolled. Is there some item meta data somewhere that can determine which tier Affix the item rolled?

I tried using Path of Exile Item info, which is a great AHK script, but it is just reverse engineering the data like I am... is there a way to tell for certain which tier affix the item rolled?
IGN: _Johnny_Blaze_
Last edited by SeriousBeatdown on Feb 3, 2017, 12:31:20 PM
Hi Mark

Emberwake states "You can inflict up to 300 Ignites on an Enemy".

My question is how this interacts with totems, minions, traps and mines.

Am I correct in the assumption that because of the "you" keyword it works with totems as they cast with your stats, but not with minions and traps/mines?
I'm trying to understand the interaction of increased aoe and elemental proliferation mechanics, specifically with Xoph's Nurture. I'm reading a lot of conflicting information on reddit, wiki, and official forums.

Is it possible to increase the aoe of prolif on Xoph's nurture if the main skill (Barrage in my case) does not have the Aoe tag? I'm trying to figure out if the deadeye 20% radius increase will bump the prolif from 12 to 14.4.

Wiki indicates the main skill would have to have the aoe tag, but I'm not sure if this is correct based on other info I read. Source: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Status_ailment#Proliferation
"
Modifiers to area of effect radius and damage will apply to status ailment auras. But if a skill cannot be supported by AoE gems (such as Increased Area of Effect Support inventory icon.pngIncreased Area of Effect Support and Concentrated Effect Support inventory icon.pngConcentrated Effect Support), proliferation effect will not benefit from them either.

One of your other posts on proliferation seems to indicate that AoE proliferation applies to all hits:
"
The Most Delicious Passive Skill applies elemental proliferation to your hits. This is inherently affected by area modifiers.

I am assuming that increases to AoE radius would affect elemental prolif gem, beacon of ruin, and Xoph's nurture the same way, let me know if that is wrong.

Lastly, I assume that an ignite that was proliferated onto an enemy B who was next to enemy A hit by barrage, cannot further proliferate an ignite onto enemy C.
Last edited by qwe4rty on Feb 3, 2017, 5:31:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info