Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

[2.4 Video Guide] Cheap Beginners Crit Shockwave Totem Build [HC/SC]

"
If you notice any typos etc, please let me know. It is late here and I need a break :D

typo underlined
Note: That if you at any point need strenght or dexterity, simply pick up the 30+ notables in the skill-tree and spec out of them later when you are able to cover these requirements via gear.
Now I'm a noob that got his hands on a Moonsorrow, Imbued Wand and I'm wondering, isn't it maybe better than the Divinarius (apart from the fact that you can't use Whirling Blades which kills mobility)?
Last edited by Woozeh on Apr 3, 2016, 4:33:04 AM
"
nadnerb wrote:
"
If you notice any typos etc, please let me know. It is late here and I need a break :D

typo underlined
Note: That if you at any point need strenght or dexterity, simply pick up the 30+ notables in the skill-tree and spec out of them later when you are able to cover these requirements via gear.

Thanks bro, corrected :)
Weekly build guides: Youtube.com/LiftingNerdBro
Daily live streams: Twitch.tv/LiftingNerdBro
Friendly PoE community: Discord.gg/Lifting
"
EMenger wrote:
Just did Malachai in Merciless today, died about 5 times, mostly due to low fps :x
Is there a way perhaps to increase survivability without losing much dps? I would like to specc out of MoM+EB but I think casting totem is very expensive mana-wise.
Any suggestions?

You could go life based, at templar starting nodes, take the life regen cum mana regen instead of spell dmg, take the life cum reduced mana cost nodes. Use hatred+clarity and a mana pot, mana problems should be at a minimal

A 5L LC will help alot against those pesky perandus physical spells

Alternatively, you can use a carcass jack and buy a taste of hate instead

"
Krealot wrote:
Thank you for a good looking totem build. have not started it yet but will at a date since I am leveling 3 chars atm. I do however have a couple of questions.

Totems are unaffected by your characters spell damage, cast speed etc.?
Does this build work well with other totems than Shockwave?
Is it viable to use this guide for a support setup build using Rejuvenation Totem?

Thanks again for a good guide.

they are affected by your spell dmg and cast spd

Doubt it is viable for rejuvenation totem, since we focus alot on crit and this is not a support build

This build does work for other spell totems, since theres alot of crit nodes and generic dmg nodes taken, I have tried a myriad of spells.

Bladefall is a straight replacement, since it is both AoE and physical. Dex could be a problem though.

EK is good, but i prefer other projectile spells. Wide AoE, but the projectiles cant chain or pierce without using the relevant support gems, which makes it less efficient than other proj spells

Spark is good but single target feels slow, unless in a small room, where the projectiles can bounce

Firestorm is pretty OP in single target if it focus fire on a single area, aoe dmg-wise, pretty decent, but not as efficient, because have to wait for the fireballs to fall and accumulate

Ball lightning is pretty strong, since the ball can travel a big distance and has the same dmg throughout the range

Ice nova base cast spd is already very slow, coupled with the 30% less cast spd of spell totems, it just feels very slow overall. However, its AoE is pretty huge, good placement of 2 totems, can pretty much cover the whole screen

Freezing pulse is probably the best projectile skill to use. Decent AoE with rain of splinters, huge range with proj speed, 100% pierce and huge freeze chance as defensive cover.

I would recommend Bladefall as first choice if you have enough dex
Freezing pulse as 2nd choice if you have the 20% quality skill gem, just needa respec out of the increased aoe and %phy dmg nodes.

"
Woozeh wrote:
Now I'm a noob that got his hands on a Moonsorrow, Imbued Wand and I'm wondering, isn't it maybe better than the Divinarius (apart from the fact that you can't use Whirling Blades which kills mobility)?

daggers is king for proccing both cast spd and spell dmg of instruments of virtue

you do not need a divinarius, you can find many decent rare daggers which will outdps both moonsorrow and divinarius for probably around 10c
Fixed a few unimportant errors!
Double post, sorry!
Last edited by LiftingNerdBro on Apr 10, 2016, 5:12:52 AM
Hi!:)

I want to ask about Assassin's Mark, it doesnt seem to work, I never get Power Charge or mana or anything, when totem kills something I cursed it....

Is it a bug?or Simply totems doesnt work with assassin's mark so curse is useless?
"
Lightdark99 wrote:
Hi!:)

I want to ask about Assassin's Mark, it doesnt seem to work, I never get Power Charge or mana or anything, when totem kills something I cursed it....

Is it a bug?or Simply totems doesnt work with assassin's mark so curse is useless?

Well i cant speak directly for the OP of the build.
But i am noticing a few different things that are not working with this build, and after examining the video, can confirm a few things.

It would seem the build creator did not notice several "on attack" modifiers do not seem to work with totem. I assume it is because that modifier type only counts as attacks by character, not by minions or totems.

Examining the video you can see that you never see the typical Herald of Ash explosion rings around mobs that die. And when turning Herald of Ash on or off, when totem damage is selected you will notice no damage change.

I am assuming these rules apply to ALL modifiers that require attacks, hits, spell casts or specific actions from the character itself. Since you are never actually hitting anything yourself, only your totem, we need to choose alternate modifiers that WILL apply for totems. What that is? Not sure yet, havent had time to theorycraft, only just realized this issue as i started a totem build.

also, im not super veteran, just noticed this issue is all.

EDIT: Just checked, looks like Herald of Thunder and Ice DO work, as it says it also adds to spells (totems count), while Herald of Fire just adds to "your" physical damage. So assumed same rules apply to why you cant get charges for Assasin's Mark.
Last edited by derps079 on Apr 21, 2016, 2:33:32 AM
Quick question RE Ascendancy class (Apologies if you answered this deeper in the thread somewhere!)

Playing HC, not getting endurance charges makes me feel quite squishy and the fact it's a life build that one really goes up to about 4-5K (30% damage Is mitigated for free via the keystone mind over matter though!) I wondered how Hierophant matches up?

If you took Pursuit of Faith, Conviction of Power and Divine guidance you could generate free power and endurance charges, have an extra 10% free mitigation and map damage would still be good via power charges and Conviction of power.

Does this just not match up to the raw DPS of the inquisitor, you could take extra PC and EC on the tree with a few points and still be very crit based with extra defense?

I could be wrong, I am still new to POE relatively and maybe I undervalue the sheer boost inquisitor gives me!

Any feedback on this would be super helpful to understand more!

Thanks

Dan

PS - Regarding totems + Assassins Mark question above

Totems do not count as "you" they are a "Totem". Thus on kill effects do not proc off totems as well as, life on hit/mana on hit/ life leech on the passive tree etc. "You" are not doing the damage and killing your totem is. With assassins mark, you get all the bonus to the damage and crit chance for your totems (Which is VERY potent) but as the totem is getting the kill and not you, power charges will not be generated.

The way I have found to get around this (My own preference) Is to 4L, Orb of storms + Power charge on Crit + Curse on hit + Assassins mark. This will pretty much curse everything inside orb of storms, with your innate crit from the build it will crit fairly often to generate charges (Plus with charges you crit more often making it easier). With Carcus Jack on, Orb Of Storms has a sizeable AOE when combined with your tree.

The above also applies to traps and mines as they are a "Trap/Mine" and not "you", so if you play a trap build be aware you'll have the same issue.
"
chippy1231 wrote:
Quick question RE Ascendancy class (Apologies if you answered this deeper in the thread somewhere!)

Playing HC, not getting endurance charges makes me feel quite squishy and the fact it's a life build that one really goes up to about 4-5K (30% damage Is mitigated for free via the keystone mind over matter though!) I wondered how Hierophant matches up?

If you took Pursuit of Faith, Conviction of Power and Divine guidance you could generate free power and endurance charges, have an extra 10% free mitigation and map damage would still be good via power charges and Conviction of power.

Does this just not match up to the raw DPS of the inquisitor, you could take extra PC and EC on the tree with a few points and still be very crit based with extra defense?

I could be wrong, I am still new to POE relatively and maybe I undervalue the sheer boost inquisitor gives me!

Any feedback on this would be super helpful to understand more!

Thanks

Dan

I am pretty confident in saying that the DPS from the inquisitor is still going to be better, that said I haven't tried it and for the same reason I don't feel comfortable giving advice regarding going Hierophant, that said - try it out, it should work, the question is, how good will it work?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info