[2.4 Video Guide] Cheap Beginners Crit Shockwave Totem Build [HC/SC]

"
Battoh wrote:
Hi all again,

How much important are the jewels in the passive tree for this build? I'm planning to skip those passive nodes and take Essence Surge (just next to Eldritch Battery). Does it worth it?

Thank you in advance!

A Jewel socket with a proper jewel will be equal to roughly 3 minor passives or a single major one. Like 6% life, 2 dmg mods. Or life, crit, dmg. And so forth. We are quite short on passives by end game, I think the Jewel Sockets are definitely worth it.

If you are seriously considering Essence Surge, I would suggest constantly running stone golem, using a sorrow of the divine Flask, and also keeping a Vaal Clarity or Vaal Discipline charged and ready for use. They'll take care of your ES recharge issues in sticky situations.

---
Alternatively if anyone plans to lvl past 91, I would submit the tree below for a more min/maxed respec.

You lose a few nodes of Int, gain one node of dex, multiple nodes of str, a Jewel socket, and swap Quick Recovery for Devotion. It may require leaving Melding as your final points from 91-95~ but I do think it's worth it, after all the mana regen is useless to us from Quick Recovery as we have 100% reserved mana for our aura's.

Im playing this build lvl 83 and this build is sucks on party and its very bad for killing perandus chest have to many counters..
Hey Lifting and co, just wanted to say that I joined PoE 2 weeks ago and landed on this build. I'm having a great time with it, levelling was a breeze, bosses have generally been easy to handle once I get a grip on their mechanics.

Now that I'm a bit more familiar with the game and the mechanics of character building involved, I wanted to share some of the changes I've made. Not much has changed, but I've essentially made some moves to increase my life for survivability and also dropped the arctic breath+temporal chains setup for a orb of storms+pcoc setup. In doing so, the play style changed quite a bit also. For any new person like me, the original build's play style is probably ideal, drop totems, kite the bosses in range of totems etc etc, but adding in the PCoC setup to offset the loss in damage nodes from going for more life and power charges also means that you're forced to make constant use of the inquisitor ascendancy nodes.

Essentially, if you drop a totem/orb/curse, that counts as a spell and your damage goes up and if you whirling blades that counts as an attack and also increases your damage, both of these effects coming from instruments of Virtue.

On top of this change, I've opted for Facebreakers instead of Maligaros for the crit multi since with PCoC I'll be pretty much critting alot more.

In any case, I'm clearing tier 9/10/11's (actually I've only had 1 t11 drop lol) with almost any mod on them barring mob projectile chaining and once I get the last 2 witch power charge nodes on instability, I'm pretty sure the totems will be unstoppable.

I'm 87 now and currently sitting on 4.6k health and 2.6k es, all my resistances are overcapped at 105%+ for ele weakness maps and there's a bit of chaos res in there for good measure.
My tooltip sitting in base doing nothing is 20k, dropping a couple of totems and whirling brings that up to 24k, using a sulphur flask gets that to 27k, and putting power charges on top gets me to 31k. This is numbers purely from my hideout, and my golem is not up since it's cwdt so those numbers are maybe a couple thousand dps down off my reality mapping dps value. Since my power charges are almost always up while clearing but I sometimes forget to pop flask cos I just don't need to, I average around 28k dps during a map. I'm mainly a solo player, but I've had fun in quite a few groups too since joining a guild recently.

I've definitely got some upgrades available to me, but my charachter is at a point where I can have fun and safely map with heavy mods so I haven't bothered too much. But my rings/amulet/belt/shield/boots/helm all have room for improvement which I'll be working on for endgame.

I'll link my current gear here since I used the gear linked in this thread to see what I should be aiming for.

Spoiler

Side note on gear, you can definitely up your dps with a crafted dagger, but I love massive aoe so ;D

My current passive tree:

I'll be speccing up into instability and spellpower per charge on my next couple of levels.

tl;dr?

Build is awesome for new people. It's also very flexible with play style with some minor changes. LiftingNerdBro is a real bro for sharing this and putting it in an easy to understand/follow fashion for the newbies like me.

edit: updated my shield tonight, just added that into my gear section, dropped some chaos resist for more life, es and damage. Worth it trade in my opinion, but I'll hang on to the chaos res shield just in case :p
Last edited by digiTuum on Mar 29, 2016, 10:30:33 PM
"
slimq3 wrote:
Im playing this build lvl 83 and this build is sucks on party and its very bad for killing perandus chest have to many counters..

totem builds will always lose out on party.

there is a delay before it starts casting, and by the time you place your totem, your party's attacks would have filled the screen and demolish everything

and most of the parties i joined for zana rota, almost everyone is playing those gazillion dps builds like LA, discharge etc. You are never gonna outdps them, no matter what you do

perandus mobs is an outlier, because they are casting so many spells instantly and simultaneously.

"
digiTuum wrote:
Hey Lifting and co, just wanted to say that I joined PoE 2 weeks ago and landed on this build. I'm having a great time with it, levelling was a breeze, bosses have generally been easy to handle once I get a grip on their mechanics.

Now that I'm a bit more familiar with the game and the mechanics of character building involved, I wanted to share some of the changes I've made. Not much has changed, but I've essentially made some moves to increase my life for survivability and also dropped the arctic breath+temporal chains setup for a orb of storms+pcoc setup. In doing so, the play style changed quite a bit also. For any new person like me, the original build's play style is probably ideal, drop totems, kite the bosses in range of totems etc etc, but adding in the PCoC setup to offset the loss in damage nodes from going for more life and power charges also means that you're forced to make constant use of the inquisitor ascendancy nodes.

Essentially, if you drop a totem/orb/curse, that counts as a spell and your damage goes up and if you whirling blades that counts as an attack and also increases your damage, both of these effects coming from instruments of Virtue.

On top of this change, I've opted for Facebreakers instead of Maligaros for the crit multi since with PCoC I'll be pretty much critting alot more.

In any case, I'm clearing tier 9/10/11's (actually I've only had 1 t11 drop lol) with almost any mod on them barring mob projectile chaining and once I get the last 2 witch power charge nodes on instability, I'm pretty sure the totems will be unstoppable.

I'm 87 now and currently sitting on 4.6k health and 2.6k es, all my resistances are overcapped at 105%+ for ele weakness maps and there's a bit of chaos res in there for good measure.
My tooltip sitting in base doing nothing is 20k, dropping a couple of totems and whirling brings that up to 24k, using a sulphur flask gets that to 27k, and putting power charges on top gets me to 31k. This is numbers purely from my hideout, and my golem is not up since it's cwdt so those numbers are maybe a couple thousand dps down off my reality mapping dps value. Since my power charges are almost always up while clearing but I sometimes forget to pop flask cos I just don't need to, I average around 28k dps during a map. I'm mainly a solo player, but I've had fun in quite a few groups too since joining a guild recently.

I've definitely got some upgrades available to me, but my charachter is at a point where I can have fun and safely map with heavy mods so I haven't bothered too much. But my rings/amulet/belt/shield/boots/helm all have room for improvement which I'll be working on for endgame.

I'll link my current gear here since I used the gear linked in this thread to see what I should be aiming for.

Spoiler

Side note on gear, you can definitely up your dps with a crafted dagger, but I love massive aoe so ;D

My current passive tree:

I'll be speccing up into instability and spellpower per charge on my next couple of levels.

tl;dr?

Build is awesome for new people. It's also very flexible with play style with some minor changes. LiftingNerdBro is a real bro for sharing this and putting it in an easy to understand/follow fashion for the newbies like me.

edit: updated my shield tonight, just added that into my gear section, dropped some chaos resist for more life, es and damage. Worth it trade in my opinion, but I'll hang on to the chaos res shield just in case :p

You are awesome, thank you for the great feedback - I am happy you had fun with the build and good job on making some changes that fits your playstyle! :)
Weekly build guides: Youtube.com/LiftingNerdBro
Daily live streams: Twitch.tv/LiftingNerdBro
Friendly PoE community: Discord.gg/Lifting
"
slimq3 wrote:

As its been said before, there's the totem cast delay that means most of the time your party will have killed the mobs before your totems start to do dmg. On the other hand, if you built and geared yourself properly you should be 1-3 shotting most non-rare mobs even in a full party on a t6-9 map.

Also my experience so far has been that although the totems take longer to start up, most of the time my entire party dies due to rushing carelessness/reflect/getting one shot by mobs. While I end up cleaning up every map because there's little to nothing that can stop me and my totems.

Your point on Perandus chests is also incomplete, Totems aren't the only builds that have issues with chest guardians/mobs. And if anything the totem builds are better off as we just resummon the totems from a safe place. While, from my experience, most other builds go in, and then promptly get themselves insta-killed. Quite often from the lag but many times just because there are so few builds that can actually brute force a chest regardless of tier/map mods. Most of the time only ranged builds or expensive shorter ranged builds can brute force a very dangerous Perandus chest. So if you don't like totems but want the safety with a higher dps, you're basically stuck with a ranged caster/projectile/bow build. And what you will find there is that every once in a while you'll instantly one shot yourself. Big issue in HC, but I say 10% exp loss in SC is nothing to scoff at either.

Tl;dr Totems trade high clear speeds for reliability and safety, provided you know how to play totems.

Liftingnerdbro, any chance you could take a look at that slightly altered pathing for this builds end game that I posted earlier? It's for lvl 94-96 characters but the swap below EB of 2 ints for 1 int+1dex node is something that can be done a lot earlier.
Last edited by ಥ_ಥ on Mar 30, 2016, 3:30:34 PM
Best guide I've ever seen. Thank you.
"
ಥ_ಥ wrote:
"
slimq3 wrote:

Tl;dr Totems trade high clear speeds for reliability and safety, provided you know how to play totems.

Liftingnerdbro, any chance you could take a look at that slightly altered pathing for this builds end game that I posted earlier? It's for lvl 94-96 characters but the swap below EB of 2 ints for 1 int+1dex node is something that can be done a lot earlier.

Looks good to mate. Those life nodes are soo very tempting! :)
Weekly build guides: Youtube.com/LiftingNerdBro
Daily live streams: Twitch.tv/LiftingNerdBro
Friendly PoE community: Discord.gg/Lifting
Just did Malachai in Merciless today, died about 5 times, mostly due to low fps :x
Is there a way perhaps to increase survivability without losing much dps? I would like to specc out of MoM+EB but I think casting totem is very expensive mana-wise.
Any suggestions?
Thank you for a good looking totem build. have not started it yet but will at a date since I am leveling 3 chars atm. I do however have a couple of questions.

Totems are unaffected by your characters spell damage, cast speed etc.?
Does this build work well with other totems than Shockwave?
Is it viable to use this guide for a support setup build using Rejuvenation Totem?

Thanks again for a good guide.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info