[2.4 Video Guide] Cheap Beginners Crit Shockwave Totem Build [HC/SC]

"
pirate_yar wrote:
Questions for SoundOfSilence/Lifting/anyone else knowledgeable about this build:

If I want to use a spell to trigger Assassin's Mark and Power Charge on Crit, is it better to use Orb of Storms because it's only necessary to cast once and won't disrupt ES regeneration (after MoM/EB) or something like Arc which feels more reliable and can cause Shock but disrupts ES regeneration?

Basically, I'm trying to decided between X - PCoC - CoH - Assassin's Mark, X = Arc or Orb.

Thanks!

As SoundOfSilence says, Orb of Storms is by far the best choice in both effect and convenience :)
Weekly build guides: Youtube.com/LiftingNerdBro
Daily live streams: Twitch.tv/LiftingNerdBro
Friendly PoE community: Discord.gg/Lifting
"
"
ಥ_ಥ wrote:
"
slimq3 wrote:
can anyone doing mapas like tier 11 or 12 post "your gear"

EB and MoM creates an ES recovery issue if you don't have Vaal Discipline. This gem is almost build making/breaking. Most deaths will come from your totems running out of life or duration and not being able to recast them because you're in combat and your es pool isn't recharging. And since you're running 3 auras, you have 100% reservation of mana.
Solutions are Vaal Discipline, Vaal Clarity, or sorrow of the divine flask if you have high life regen.

Are you making sure to use the Zealoth's Oath + Stone Golem setup. It makes it significantly easier to sustain the ES cost of the totems :)

I'm not using Zealot's Oath and Stone Golem. My Es pool is about 1000 without normal Discipline. I think the guide or somewhere in this thread it was said that we should switch away from ZO after we have a pool of about 700 es+
I actually never specced' into Zealot's Oath to begin with as I just ran Discipline from early to late Merciless in order to have a large enough ES pool to cast.

If ZO is so powerful why not just keep it in the end build? I mean even with Vaal Discipline we are limited by charges, and against note worthy bosses it is an issue unless you dodge every single hit from not only the boss but also all the adds.
"
ಥ_ಥ wrote:

I'm not using Zealot's Oath and Stone Golem. My Es pool is about 1000 without normal Discipline. I think the guide or somewhere in this thread it was said that we should switch away from ZO after we have a pool of about 700 es+
I actually never specced' into Zealot's Oath to begin with as I just ran Discipline from early to late Merciless in order to have a large enough ES pool to cast.

If ZO is so powerful why not just keep it in the end build? I mean even with Vaal Discipline we are limited by charges, and against note worthy bosses it is an issue unless you dodge every single hit from not only the boss but also all the adds.

ZO is not that powerful as we do not take alot of regen nodes(we only have 1.8%), and our ES isn't that huge to begin with, not to mention, we won't have any life regen and we can't leech as well, so it isn't worth picking up the node

Its better to buy sorrow of the divine flask and use ZO temporarily together with stone golem

Use that combo with vaal clarity, so that the regen isn't counteracted by casting totem and vaal clarity doesn't require that much souls as well as lasting damn long

Of course, there is still certain skills and map combis that will wreck you. E.g. Malformation boss ball lightning, map mods extra projs/chaining will decimate you and the totems

"
"
ಥ_ಥ wrote:

ZO is not that powerful as we do not take alot of regen nodes(we only have 1.8%), and our ES isn't that huge to begin with, not to mention, we won't have any life regen and we can't leech as well, so it isn't worth picking up the node

Its better to buy sorrow of the divine flask and use ZO temporarily together with stone golem

Use that combo with vaal clarity, so that the regen isn't counteracted by casting totem and vaal clarity doesn't require that much souls as well as lasting damn long

Of course, there is still certain skills and map combis that will wreck you. E.g. Malformation boss ball lightning, map mods extra projs/chaining will decimate you and the totems

Hey SoundOfSilence, thank you for your very informative posts. As a beginner who chose this build I'm enjoying it very much and it's been enhanced by alot of your info!

Side question, I noticed you're using the unique sulphur flask; what's the mechanic there, do you pop it before dropping your totems or afterwards? Or is it for some other utility entirely?
"
"
ಥ_ಥ wrote:

Yeah I just picked up the flask now, about to try it out.
The mod on maps that causes Beyond mobs to spawn is also one to keep an eye out for it. They can often kill your totems faster then you can cast them.

btw any follow up on the Passives by Doom Cast, I think an earlier passive tree got the two 15% crit multi nodes not the single 20% crit chance node there, but now it's just that one crit chance node, giving up on 30% multiplier. Also by Shamanic Dominion there are 2 18% totem crit multi nodes, worth getting?
Thanks for the replies guys! Currently in PHC Merci Act I with 2.5k life, 1.5k ES.

More questions:

1. Are we using MoM + EB in this build simply so we can run a build with 100% mana reserved? I feel very squishy ever since I took the MoM + EB, my life is dropping more often. >_<

2. Skills worth buying quality gems for?

3. Thoughts about using Kongming's Strategm with Trap - Cold Snap - Cluster Traps instead of CWDT - Arctic Breath - GMP? I'm currently using Kongming's with Cold Snap Traps for blinding packs even though it's stopping ES Regen. Would I be better off just using a high life/ES shield with auto-fire Arctic Breaths?
Last edited by pirate_yar on Mar 26, 2016, 1:52:51 AM
Hey SoundOfSilence/Lifting,

what do u think I can sell this for? I have been lucky to get 2 of them. Looked on poe.trade and can't see another one up there so not sure of it's value. I am in softcore.

Cheers

EDIT: I found another selling and listed so no longer need an answer.

Last edited by IceHyde on Mar 26, 2016, 8:11:44 AM
"
IceHyde wrote:
Hey SoundOfSilence/Lifting,

what do u think I can sell this for? I have been lucky to get 2 of them. Looked on poe.trade and can't see another one up there so not sure of it's value. I am in softcore.

Cheers

EDIT: I found another selling and listed so no longer need an answer.

Shockwave totem quality only increases totem life, you should always check the wiki for a particular skill gem before using gcp's on gems to see what actual benefit you'll get.
"
digiTuum wrote:

Hey SoundOfSilence, thank you for your very informative posts. As a beginner who chose this build I'm enjoying it very much and it's been enhanced by alot of your info!

Side question, I noticed you're using the unique sulphur flask; what's the mechanic there, do you pop it before dropping your totems or afterwards? Or is it for some other utility entirely?

Its up to you entirely when you wanna use it, it only uses 20 charges and comes with 40% dmg as well.

I mostly use it, whenever i take a huge hit, for emergency regen of ES and for casting totems

"
ಥ_ಥ wrote:

Yeah I just picked up the flask now, about to try it out.
The mod on maps that causes Beyond mobs to spawn is also one to keep an eye out for it. They can often kill your totems faster then you can cast them.

btw any follow up on the Passives by Doom Cast, I think an earlier passive tree got the two 15% crit multi nodes not the single 20% crit chance node there, but now it's just that one crit chance node, giving up on 30% multiplier. Also by Shamanic Dominion there are 2 18% totem crit multi nodes, worth getting?

tbh, its personal preference. By taking the crit multi route, you need extra 2 points, which is alot during the time you are leveling. Once you hit 90s, and have some extra points, you can refund crit chance and use crit multi if you desire

"
pirate_yar wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys! Currently in PHC Merci Act I with 2.5k life, 1.5k ES.

More questions:

1. Are we using MoM + EB in this build simply so we can run a build with 100% mana reserved? I feel very squishy ever since I took the MoM + EB, my life is dropping more often. >_<

2. Skills worth buying quality gems for?

3. Thoughts about using Kongming's Strategm with Trap - Cold Snap - Cluster Traps instead of CWDT - Arctic Breath - GMP? I'm currently using Kongming's with Cold Snap Traps for blinding packs even though it's stopping ES Regen. Would I be better off just using a high life/ES shield with auto-fire Arctic Breaths?

I think the reason you feel this way is because, as hybrid, the dmg have to go through all your 1.5k ES first before touching your hp, while as EB+MOM, any dmg will eat both your hp and ES at the same time

Since you are on HC, probably do abit of ledge farming. Try to get at least 3k hp by act 3

For me, i tend to 20% all of them at vendors. But if you are buying quality gems, priorities will be shockwave totem, faster casting and phy to lighting

I don't have the kongming's strategem. But im sure you are losing out alot on both dps and survivability that a rare shield provides
"
"
digiTuum wrote:

Its up to you entirely when you wanna use it, it only uses 20 charges and comes with 40% dmg as well.

I mostly use it, whenever i take a huge hit, for emergency regen of ES and for casting totems

I did some testing in my hideout (after I figured I could monitor tooltips) and if anyone was wondering, it makes no difference. If you pop it before or after you drop your totems, you still get the added damage bonus (around 2k dps for me). I've been popping it after I drop totems, usually at a boss, which combined with assasins mark just makes them melt!

Another question dude, for ele resist maps, I've been swapping out phys to lightning for totem and minion resist, but I have a red slot to replace added fire. What would be a good replacement in that slot? Iron Will perhaps?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info