Recent Community Questions Answered!

"
morbo wrote:
So, Contagion damage is not increased by area damage, even tho it has an AoE tag?

All this Q&A shows a clear "difficulty through obscurity" design, where it's not enough to read the in-game descriptions, but the player must know a plethora of counter-intuitive exceptions an under the hood quirks, that only a handful of developers truly understand -_-

Ball Lightning is not increased by AoE damage either, even though it has an AoE tag - in this case, for the purposes of calculating the area covered by the balls' zaps.

It's actually quite simple - is the skill hitting all the mobs in the area for the same damage once or is it hitting each of those mobs with their own damage amounts, possibly applied at different times and/or possibly from multiple hits? In the former case, it's AoE damage and will get affected by AoE damage. In the latter, it won't. Which actually makes perfect sense.

Anyway, I think the reason why so many people are upset about the way Contagion damage works is because they're desperately trying to make pure Contagion builds work. Well, sorry to break it to you, but it won't. It's not MEANT to. People tried this before when Desecrate was released and were similarly disappointed. These skills aren't meant to be good on their own. That's been made clear right from the outset by the nature of their design.

Desecrates' main purpose is to produce corpses for various uses. The damage is not the point.

Contagions' main purpose is to spread Essence Drain. That's WHY the skills are linked together and why one of them so far outpaces the other in damage.

I rather think GGG should just remove the damage entirely from both of these skills, but for some reason, they haven't. But anyway, just accept it - they are not meant to be end-game viable skills on their own. These are and are meant to be support skills.
Oh my god, i had no idea Tasuni has such a scary face...
"
WiseGuard wrote:

Iknorite? I thought he was Asian... Apparently, he is a Kappa. o_0
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
"
Exile009 wrote:
It's actually quite simple - is the skill hitting all the mobs in the area for the same damage once or is it hitting each of those mobs with their own damage amounts, possibly applied at different times and/or possibly from multiple hits? In the former case, it's AoE damage and will get affected by AoE damage. In the latter, it won't. Which actually makes perfect sense.

But Contagion IS hitting all the mobs at once. Or how should the player know if it hits for the same damage or not... if this stuff is decided under the hood and not clear from in-game info.

Anyway, I use Contagion + ED on my char together, like it's meant. I just thought Area damage is boosting my overall damage, which apparently isn't (but area size does affect it, doh!)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness

It is still not credible any French translation to date on your part !! while this is one of the countries with the most players on video games
"
666lol666 wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:
"
Bex_GGG wrote:
Does Rapid Decay with Righteous Fire work with the degen + duration tag?

It will not work with Righteous Fire, as Righteous Fire doesn't have a duration.

Note that it works with RF totems because Spell Totem carries the duration tag, but not RF by itself.

Ok, but who is playing RF totem builds? It was fun before 12/2013 but after the "own-life" nerf these totems are weak as hell!

2.1 Talisman League Guide for Cheap Permacurse Dual RF Totems for Hardcore/Softcore
Essence Drain + Poison question

Essence Drain tooltip says:
Modifiers to Spell Damage also apply to this skill's Damage Over Time

What is this skill's Damage Over Time?

If I support ED with Poison, is Poison damage also considered this skill's Damage Over Time and influenced by spell dmg modifiers?
Not a signature.
Last edited by Turbodevil on Dec 22, 2015, 3:48:14 AM
"
Turbodevil wrote:
Essence Drain + Poison question

Essence Drain tooltip says:
Modifiers to Spell Damage also apply to this skill's Damage Over Time

What is this skill's Damage Over Time?

If I support ED with Poison, is Poison damage also considered this skill's Damage Over Time and influenced by spell dmg modifiers?

No. Poison is a separate effect. Think about it - the Poison support gem doesn't change your Essence Drain skills' tooltip, does it? So then it isn't part of the skill. It's simply a separate effect that is being added on top of the skill along with it. You're essentially hitting mobs with two different effects - Essence Drain and Poison - via one delivery mechanism.
"
Sheriff_K wrote:
"
WiseGuard wrote:

Iknorite? I thought he was Asian... Apparently, he is a Kappa. o_0

I thought so too!

Crap baskets...

Kappa looks... better...

mmm
Last edited by Farm4Fun on Dec 22, 2015, 4:49:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info