Flicker Strike

With how many downsides this skill has, it could for certain use some love in next (or whatever it will be) expansion where melee skills will be addressed. I insist on necessity of giving to this skill a mechanical change as numerical won't solve its issues.

Let's break down what this skill does by noting its pros and cons.

Pros:
Very fast clear speed

Cons:
Literally everything else
Necessity of having single target skill, as it itself is quite lackluster at doing single target damage
Having to invest into Melee Slpash gem
Having very little control of your character
Having to stay in melee range in tough encounters while having little control of your character (it isn't fun but I can see it as part of gameplay, where you tradeoff your safety for your speed)
Not able to delve at all (and I mean it, and you know it)
Having to do special setups to use it skill beside having required weapon type
There's Concecrated Path and Charged Dash which do kinda the same job (especially Charged Dash) and do it much better and safer
Not all people able to play flicker strike due to how, uh, flickery? it is. (I'm not one of them, thankfully, and I am absolutely in love with this skill, having done quite a few of characters with it since I started playing in 1.3)

That's quite a big list of downsides if you ask me and I think some of them could be worked on. I suggest giving this skill some more damage effectivness, as well as mechanical change of how it uses Frenzy Charges. Tectonic Slam is a good example how charge-consuming could be implemented into usage of skill while not making it too bothersome for the player. Making Flicker Strike having same mechanic and getting rid of attack cooldown would make playing this skill much more pleasurable! Hoping to see the result of someone noticing my post :)
Cheers!
have about 10 attacks per second without frenzy charges atm in synthesis league.
clear speed seems great on anything but bosses,
damage toward bosses is way worse then compared to molten strike on same links / attacks per second.

synthesis teleport wall of despair as i have come to name it...
mobs inside this are targetable to this skill... please remove / fix :)

(youtube link to build i am basing my build from : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_d1Iavatqw)

my tree is not exactly same but the gear is.

problem of this skill is to get this amazing clear speed a lot of attack speed is needed... which i don't mind... but at these speeds once you add on frenzy charge cooldown mechanic the game does not like attack speed... i have max 6 charges... sometimes i am attacking so fast the game shows me with over 15 charges... which is just a visual bug.... but still funny, as well on the other end if attacking with the skill at start it can show i have zero charges with a timer of the duration .... funny yet again.
if the skill didn't need as much attack speed to do the damage per second that it does the game might like the calculations of skill more but then people my not like the skill as much so caution on trying to fix that.

lack of control is the big factor on this skill... and if you were to be able to have phasing while using the skill / more dodge (or evasion) as most flicker strike builds go for either or both while using this skill would lend a helping hand in surviving without control of your character.
(prays for life buffs to equal ES builds) would help as well *wink *wink *nudge *nudge *to more life values

phase bosses are not extremely nice with this skill but that's probably has to do with surviving the non control of your character if you don't deal enough damage to a boss to effectively control a fight.
Does weapon range provide any benefit to flicket strike attack?
seems like it's absolute no benefit compare to other *single target* attacks like doubel strike and others similar - where you can clearly see increse of range of the telegraph , while flicker strike keeps swinging literally in point blank promixity regarless of weapon range.
Was testing with literally more than double weapon range invesments (default weapon was 13 and investing for +7 for total 20).
Trying to save skill gem, because after changing Slayer impact ascendancy ( which is no longer provide melee splash) - clearing packs without splash gem is a pain - because you literally hitting every single mob one by one..., unless they are very very close, then you can hit them both if you luckily flickerred from the right direction with is also random...
Last edited by Cran1um on Jun 12, 2019, 2:02:24 PM
I'm having crashes after landing a few hits from this skill. It's very frustrating.
Crashing like hell
Please make Flicker Strike primary target set to last hit target unless the last target died.

It's annoying that Flicker Strike hits a target once then flick away to hit other targets. After that I have to go back to finish the first target. This situation happens a lot against rare / unique monsters.
Last edited by gla2gla2 on Jun 21, 2019, 4:05:42 PM
Is flicker strike consuming 2 charges to bypass cool down ?
The mana cost is ridiculous. On a 6L, it costs 64 mana per attack! (Meanwhile, Cyclone costs 9, negatable by one crafted mod...) With a 770 mana pool, 0.23% mana leech AND a -9 mana cost crafted, it still isn't enough to sustain on single target. I'm already sacrificing two damage mods for mana leech, and it isn't enough.

I understand that there's mana leech rate on the tree--are you saying Flicker Strike isn't handicapped enough by needing Frenzy Charges AND its irregular motion, we also have to sacrifice tree nodes for mana sustain?

I understand not wanting skill cost to be free, but it can at least be halved. Either that, or make other skills cost just as much.

And before anyone says anything else, this is me fighting Uber Elder with Flicker Strike and having trouble with mana: https://youtu.be/YFuRrqQsJG0
just a scrub.
I'd very much like to see Flicker Strike undergo the same treatment as Cyclone did in 3.7.

Make it a channeled skill. Reduce the Mana cost significantly (currently it has a high mana cost, a frenzy charge cost and a very high attack speed, which makes the skill costlier than other skills by a margin). Change it to consume a frenzy charge each second while channeling.

This not only fixes the skill but also opens new possibilities with Cast while Channeling or using the passives for channeling skills.

Thanks.
Flicker Strike fanatic for many many different leagues. I have been so far enjoying all the updates to flicker i just have one suggestion which might open up some possibilities for additional build/synergy. My idea is for either a threshold jewel to be added or for a change with the weapon requirements to allow this skill to be used while unarmed.

Would allow for builds utilizing Facebreakers or Doryani's Fist which haven't seen much usage recently.

As others have mentioned it would be much appreciated to have flicker cost considerably less mana since it does have that huge cost of consuming frenzy charges just to bypass that long cooldown.

Would be interested in something similar to cyclone where the % of base damage is lowered but the skill would get base physical damage. don't know if this would be good or not. I do know that for the concept of unarmed it would help unarmed builds more while also helping more build options that want to go full elemental instead of physical into elemental conversion.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info