Enduring Cry

Beta feedback as of patch 0.9.11!

While I have little issue with the addition of a cooldown to this skill, it brings with it a few annoying inconveniences:

1. If you get stunned during the cast time, the skill will go on cooldown without any effect. This often means you will fail to refresh your stack of charges, which against a tough boss monster can mean death. Getting stunned during the cast time should punish you by having to spend more time casting, not by being forced to wait for the next cooldown time.

2. In some cases, the skill simply does not add any endurance charges, despite the cast time finishing and plenty monsters being around. I'm unsure what causes this; perhaps it's shield block recovery not showing during the cast animation, tricking me into thinking it did go off (but that's still issue 1. happening), perhaps it's a desync where the server somehow denies it being cast. I'm not sure, but it's equally annoying.

I know it hasn't changed, but the description is very confusing. Right now, I have 33 charges per 100 people, but it sounds like it should be 0.33 for 1 person, so I would need more than 3 people to get the 2nd charge (given that it always rounds up on float).

I'm getting 1:1 ratio right now. 3 people will give me 3 charges. So I'm not exactly sure what increasing my endurance charge will give me when I do get 5.
I noticed when playing today that the increased duration skill gem doesn't seem to increase the duration the charges last. Either way they only seem to stay for 10 seconds.

I'm going to post a comment in the increased duration thread as well.
In since 0.8.0
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kungfooe
"
kungfooe wrote:
I noticed when playing today that the increased duration skill gem doesn't seem to increase the duration the charges last. Either way they only seem to stay for 10 seconds.

I'm going to post a comment in the increased duration thread as well.
This is intended. The duration of charges on you is part of your stats (and you can get passives which modify those stats). The enduring cry skill can't set the duration of charges based on the skill, it just says 'you get a charge'. duration of charges is never part of the skill, it's set by your stats whenever something tells you to get a charge.
Makes sense. Thanks for the reply!
In since 0.8.0
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kungfooe
(sorry for the thread bounce, this is the correct thread at least.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
now if it was slightly modified to increase the agro time, that would be kinda valuable. (hint at devs please, i know it sorta already increase due to recharge a patch ago)
There's no such thing as aggro time for it to increase.

i'm not sure how this is true honestly. before the patch that gave this skill (enduring cry) a recharge, decoy totem preformed a better job at grabbing "agro" of monsters away from other party members or other totems. now, post recharge patch, this skill does slightly better job at attracting attention of monsters than previously, still spaming it as often as possible.

either way, monster's attention switches back to other allied things relatively fast. while i don't always like tank based classes in multiplayer games, i know how important keeping monsters on yourself when being that sort of build.
Monsters have a single aggro target.
What this means varies from monster to monster depending on how their AI is scripted - certain actions can still be performed against an enemy other than the target, but most monster actions can only be performed targeting the monster's current aggro target.

Taunting sets you as the monster's aggro target. There's no concept of duration on that, it just replaces whatever the monster's aggro target currently is with you. After that point either the monster's aggro target will be you, or something will occur which changes the monster's aggro target again.

Aggro target can change when the monster is hit - every hit gives a small change the monster will change aggro target to the attacker. If a monster has no target it will target the first enemy it sees (and trigger other monsters to do the same), and if a monster can't path to it's aggro target it will lose it, going to the state of having no target.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Monsters have a single aggro target.
What this means varies from monster to monster depending on how their AI is scripted - certain actions can still be performed against an enemy other than the target, but most monster actions can only be performed targeting the monster's current aggro target.

Taunting sets you as the monster's aggro target. There's no concept of duration on that, it just replaces whatever the monster's aggro target currently is with you. After that point either the monster's aggro target will be you, or something will occur which changes the monster's aggro target again.

Aggro target can change when the monster is hit - every hit gives a small change the monster will change aggro target to the attacker. If a monster has no target it will target the first enemy it sees (and trigger other monsters to do the same), and if a monster can't path to it's aggro target it will lose it, going to the state of having no target.

I noticed two problem with current aggro mechanics.
1. Having an army of summons take aggro away from you is hard. When a fast boss targets me sometimes I need to run around my minions (like 6+ of them) for 5-6 laps before the mob decides to start attacking them. This kind of makes minions useless.
2. Totems for some reason provoke a lot of aggro from mobs, even non combat ones. Often when I run into a rare mob that looks tough I would throw down a Regeneration Totem behind me and the Mob would then fairly often (about 50% times) decides to ignore me and go for it. On one hand it is irritating as I need that buff for a reason and on the other hand I killed fair share of them before they could get to totem and finish it off (the slower ones like bears or stone monsters without speed aura) so it can be abused as well.

Last edited by Torin on Aug 13, 2012, 5:25:44 AM
I've gone from an end-game character using end charges to a low-level alt, and the only difference is that now I don't get two charges from three enemies. That's the only meaningful breakpoint in the entire progression of this skill, and I think it's unfortunate.

The curve should be adjusted so that 33 charges per 100 enemies comes much earlier. There should be an additional bonus (charge duration, life regen per charge, etc.) that builds slowly but becomes significant at high levels.
The Amazon Basin: A Community of Friends Playing Games

http://www.theamazonbasin.com
As a useability issue, could a line be added that states
"(Or 1 Endurance charge for every X enemies)"? Where X is just 100 divided by the number of charges you get for every 100 enemies.

I get that it scales linearly by adding charges / 100, and it makes for a very clean look, I'd just like the second line as a convenience.
Last edited by Softspoken on Aug 19, 2012, 12:48:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info