Enduring Cry

Good in theory, doesn't really work in practice except on a static boss you know you want extra resistance for.

Building a tank templar, the 12s or lose it refresh is really annoying - x2 in teams where we want to look through loot for a few seconds after a big pack means it is nearly guaranteed to drop off because you don't set your own pace.
I disagree with those that say it is annoying micro management. I use Enduring Cry constantly for use with Immortal Call and at level 7 it grants enough charges in a mob to be useful (I currently have a max of 3 and it usually grants 2) and hitting the button again 9 seconds later or after Immortal Call is easy enough to not trouble me at all.

(Although Immortal Call doesn't last nearly as long as I would like but that's due to lack of charges.)
I also really dislike the need to recast EC every 10-13 seconds.

My lvl 61 2h marauder needs 5 endurance charges up so that I can get 75 ele res and 75% estimated mitigation.

Surviving in chaos depends on these mitigations, and having the charges drop at an untimely moment can spell death. There are a couple reasons why the constant need to recast becomes more troublesome at higher levels:

1. When I'm in the middle of a large group of difficult monsters using AOE skills, I'm surviving because of life leech (9%) and mitigation (75%). When my charges drop, my mitigation drops to 50%, and because I need to recast EC my life leech drops to 0% momentarily. Even if I don't let the charges drop, the loss of lifesteal is very crippling.

2. In chaos, one requires additional skills and positioning in order to be effective. After I get my charges up, curse all the monsters (2 casts usually), cast blood rage, and get into a favorable position where i'm not surrounded, the charges are almost timed-out. The unnecessary interrupts from recasting are a real nuisance.

2.5. Resource management overload. At higher levels one has to manage many different resources. Obviously, one must always have one eye on health. This leaves the other eye to make sure enemies are all cursed, manage mana (unless blood magic), pay attention to buff durations like blood rage, and on top of that have to cast a spell every 10-12 seconds at the appropriate time (not to early, and definitely not too late). This is just an overburden and unncessary.

I suggest, as some have suggested, give EC an additional buff component (similar to blood rage) which grants E charges: -%chance when hit -when you are critted -when you are stunned -timer doesn't move when X mobs are nearby -any other creative way to give a charge in situations where mobs are around attacking you

Please change this skill. This isn't a balance issue, it's a gameplay issue. Right now the gameplay of this skill isn't compelling, it can be very tedious and punishing for losing track of the timer.

Thanks
anyways
All feedback after this point is for 0.9.6.
Balance & Design
I agree with plethora, buff durations are so short and need to be re cast so often in the middle of fights that sometimes it's lacking of fun (and survivabilty go down a lot without it).
10/13 sec is a very very short ingame time.
... nothing
The constant maintenance of endurance charges is a huge pain.

I realize that is more of an issue with endurance charges than the skill itself... but as mentioned, warlord's mark is too unreliable.
Last edited by teprac on Mar 12, 2012, 3:48:27 PM
Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design
Now that the duration passives associated with endurance charges have been removed, this skill does not last long enough. 10 seconds is too short, I would double this if it were up to me. Granted, you could take the 3 15% duration passives, but they are out of the way for some builds, and hard to justify for an added 5 seconds.
I've never wanted to used this skill for two main reasons :

- I don't like having to cast it several times to get my max charge number, it looks silly.

- It's a pain to keep the charges up, you have to recast every 10 seconds, otherwise you'll have to go through my first point (again...).

To remove these two problems, I suggest the following mechanic :

- Increase the charges gained for one cast.
- Every cast puts you at the number of charges listed by the skill tooltip (depending on the enemy crowd), even if you already had charges, even if you had more charges. It replaces whatever endurance charges you have by the ones given by this skill.
Therefore you don't have to cast it several times, because it's useless.
Then you don't necessarily want to cast it regularly because :
- If you've gotten more charges with warlock mark, you'll lose them.
- Even if you charges dissapear, you're still able to get the same number of charges. So you may use it only when you really need it, which is closer to the intented purpose of this skill, I suppose.

About balance, it would make immortal call even more powerful, so there would be some tweaks to do. Then, it shouldn't be easy to get more than 3 charges with this skill, otherwise any other endurance charge skill would be useless. Also there would some issues with the conduit mechanic, the solution would be to remove allies endurance charges before giving them the charges from enduring cry.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
I really get the feeling that I'm probably using this skill wrong after reading some posts, but I could not care less about the endurance charges ( although +15% reduction is nice ). I like how it steals agro for all enemies in the radius and the melee ones surround me, and then I just use Sweep + Accuracy to flatten entire groups of them.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info