[2.2] [Video] The Iron Reave - 100k DPS Crit Duel Wield Block Iron Reflex Reaver

Updated with first draft Ascendancy Skilltree

This build is a pseudo Dual Wield Reaver based on ZiggyD´s Southpaw Ranger.

We use a offhand weapon that can´t be used for reave to get the dualwield bonus, get Dualwield block and use offhand weapons that have a passiv benefit for our mainhand attacks.

As Evasion isn´t really viable in the current patch, i skipped getting Acro and went to get Iron Reflexes and some more dualwield blocknodes.

With that combination we can get a decent ammount of Block and Armour to shore up reliable defense against high physical hits.

The build can start as Duelist, Ranger or Shadow

I am very happy to announce that this build got a mention in the Community Build Guides Post by GGG!

Pro&Con

+Great mobility
+high clearspeed
+good damage
+Perma Itonskin Flask because of Surgeons Mod

-its still melee, some bosses can still be hard to do
-no additional defense vs. high Elemental damage

Full Buff DPS

(Hatred/HoA/5 Frenzy/4 Power / Unholy Might / Atziris Promise)

[playstv id="55bbc11ab1d7882d16"][/playstv]

Skilltree+Stats

Skilltree

Bandits: Oak - Skillpoint - Alira

There are a lot good nodes nearby for leveling higher, with options for more damage or more life and armour.

Other good Options are going Ranger with the Pathfinder or Raider Class, Pathfinder would be really strong imho.

(Raider = Way of the Poacher - Avatar of the Slaughter - Rapid Assault)
(Pathfinder = Natures Adrenalin - Master Surgeon - Natures Boon)

Shadow could also be really good with the Assassin Ascendancy, there are 2 good Options there as Noxious Strike could be really good with a Death´s Hand beside the obvious good Deadly Infusion.

(Toxic Delivery - Noxious Strike - Ambush)
(Unstable Infusion - Deadly Infusion - Ambush)

If you test any of that options please let me know!

Skills&Links

Main Skill / DPS

6 Link
Reave-Multistrike-Melee Physical Damage-Faster Attacks-inc. Critical Strikes-inc.-Critical Damage

5 Link
Reave-Multistrike-Melee Physical Damage-Faster Attacks-inc. Critical Strikes-inc.

4 Link
Reave-Multistrike-Melee Physical Damage-Faster Attacks

You can try to switch the faster attacks, crit chance and crit damage around as you see fit depending on your links. You can also try stuff like Weapon elemental Damage, hypothermia, ice bite, increased AoE and Concentraded Effect.

Mobility:

4/3 Link

Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Fortify - Reduced Mana

Fortify on Whirling Blades is really nice as you will enter most combat situation via Whirling Blades and also use it to evade atacks during bossfights. Most of the time you will hit an enemie and keep up your fortify buff without doing much for it.

If you have a 4 link using reduced mana makes long backtracking a bit less annoying, using it on bloodmagic is needed because the manacost of Whirling Blades got doubled in this patch and we sustain our mana with leech and life on hit, which does not work if only used for traveling with no enemies around.

Utility
1/3 Link

Leap Slam - Riposte - Endurance Charge on Melee Stun

This one is just to make endurance charge generation more reliable as we discharge them for immortal call. Leap Slam is also very usefull to jump up and down ledges.

Enduring Cry

Used for constant endurance charges.

Vaal Reave

Makes your AoE much bigger. Just try it. Gets addictive to try and keep the stacks up as long as you can.

Cast when Damage taken Setups

4 Links

Cast when Damage taken Lvl1 - Warlords Mark lvl5 - Summon Ice Golem lvl3 - Blood Rage lvl7

The skills you want to have on all the time, but don´t want to bother casting them. Warlords helps with refelct and endurance charge generation.

Cast when Damage taken Lvl 12 - increased Duration - Molten Shell lvl16 - Immortal Call lvl14

The big CwdT for more armour, some extra damage and the immortal call like pre-2.0.

With Warlords Mark, Endurance Charge on Melee Stun on our counterattack and a selfcast enduring cry if needed we should have 3 charges up at all times, ready to be used for Immortal call.

Auras

Hatred

If you want to play this build in a HC League i would advice to use Determination or Grace instead and use the Herald of Ash with a Death´s Hand.
It still does enough damage for most content, but in a SC league its not really needed.
If you are running in a Party with someone else running Hatred allready you can just switch it out for a Grace to provide added defense for the party.

Herald of Ash or Herald of Ice - Curse on Hit - Assassins Mark

If you don´t use a Death Hand (see Gear section) you will need to use Herald of Ice - Curse on Hit - Assassins Mark to generate Powercharges.

If you have a Death´s Hand you can use Herald of Ash for more damage.

The shatter effect on HoI is still really nice so it´s a really viable option and purely a matter of taste.

Gear

first off my current Gear

My_Gear

Helmet:

For Damage, Abyssus is best in Slot here.

If you don´t like the Abyssus drawback you can also use a rare helmet with resists, life and accuracy, a Rats Nest for the Crit Chance and Attackspeed or Starkonjas Head as budget solution with great life roll.

Chest

There are lots of Options here.

You can use a Rare Armour with Life + Resists and a Armour, Evasion or armour+Evasion Base.
Don´t be cheap here, high AR+EV rolls are important for your defense.

If you have a higher budget a Lightning Coil is a good option to mitigate the physical damage.

Belly of the Beast is a very good option with life and some resists.

If you want to go all out DPS, a Carcass Jack will help you out.

Gloves

Maligaros Virtuositys are a option, but i prefer rare gloves with Life, Physical Damage, Attack Speed, Accuracy and Resists. High Evasion or Armour is a nice bonus to look for.

Boots

Get life and resists here. You don´t need movement speed because you will be moving with whirling blades most of the time.
If you happen to have some amazing resists on your other gear, you can also try to fit in Atziris Steps for spell dodge and high evasion rating.

Mainhand Weapon

You want a Sword with high physical damage and good critical strike chance. I would recommend at least 200 physical DPS and 7.5% crit chance on your endgame weapon.

Offhand Weapon

The offhand has some interesting options.
We need a Axe or Mace as we don´t want a weapon that can be used with Reave.
Therefore we don´t care about the Critchance or DPS of our Offhand.

Death´s Hand is a great option, we don´t have to use Assassins Mark to get Powercharges if we use this offhand and ontop we get the unholy might buff with almost 100% uptime.

But even the budget option are really great for this build.

Relentless Fury gives culling strike and Onslaught on culling strike, which also is a big damage boost.

Lavianga's Wisdom gives more AoE, AoE damage and has a tiny life roll on top.

You could also use a rare weapon that has a high global critical strike multiplier and resists on it if you need them.

Keep in mind that the offhand weapon will change your tooltip DPS even if you can´t use it with reave, so don´t care about that to much.

Belt

Get a nice Rustic Sash with high Life, Armour and Resists like you need them to cap.
If you can´t find a nice Sash a good leather or heavy belt is also ok.

Rings

Get Diamond Rings with flat physical damage, accuracy, life and resists.

The highest flat physical damage on rings is 9-15, Accuracy can roll up to 400, Life goes up to 79.

You can also get intelligence here if you need some for your gems.

Amulet

Get a base that has intelligence on it like Lapis or Agate Amulets.

Good Mods are: Flat physical damage, accuracy, critical strike chance, critical stike multi, life.

The highest flat physical damage on amulets is 15-26, critical stike chance and multi go up to 38, life goes up to 84.

Jewels

Try to get 6-7% Life and at least one good damage mod on your jewels.
There are a lot of good options for damage rolls: Sword Damage, Physical Damage, Crit Multi, Crit Chance, Dualwield Damage, Attackspeed....

Flasks

Flasks are a important part of this builds defense, don´t be sloppy here.

You need two life flasks, one should be a Divine life flask with seething or bubbling mods and curse or bleed remove. The other one should be a Eternal life flask with Surgeon´s mod for constant refills.

The most important flask for your defense is a Surgeon´s Granite Flask of Ironskin.
With Surgeon´s mod you get constant refills of your flask, the "of ironskin" mod provides you with an amazing boost to your armour.

Atziri´s Promise is a great damage boost and also helps with reflect rares and packs.

Rumis Concotion is another unique Flask that can improve the defense by a large ammount, boosting block and granting spellblock while also boosting your armour.

Lion´s Roar is a new unique flask that can be used for a damage boost and is also a granit flask.

Taste of Hate is a great Flask for its offense and defensive buffs and could replace Rumis or Atziris Promise if you happen to have one.

Leveling

33 Points

Rush for Essence Sap. You can also choos to rush a bit less and go for Golems Blood and Revelery first and later spec out of Revelery once you get near Essence Sap.

60 Points

Get the long ways done, get Primal Spirit and Trickery to get some int you need to level up Gems.

You can choose to fill out some of the crit nodes and life and go up to the Shadowpart later, but i prefere to get the long ways done first so i can get al lthe juicy nodes at higher levels when it takes longer to level up.

80 Points

Grab Critnodes, Dual Wield Block nodes and some Life.

Switch the Frenzy Duration node for the Cloth&Chain Part, grap Iron Reflexes.
Depending on your Gear it might be better to stick with Evasion a bit longer, in that case just don´t do the switch yet and grab Assassination instead of Cloth and Chain + IR

95Points

Grab more Life, Crit and Block, Grab Jewel sockets and slap some Jewels with Life or damage in, what ever you prefer.

Go on to fill out to the final tree from here.

Leveling Weapons

There are loads of good low level unique weapons to use.

Wildslash, Al Dhih,Ornament of the East, Ungil's Gauche, Mightflay, The Princess, Lakishu's Blade and more for your mainhand.

Ofcourse you can also use good rares you may find, just keep checking the DPS and use the one with the best Physical DPS available to you.

For your offhand you can use Lavianga's Wisdom and Relentless Fury right away.

For leveling it might help to just use a offhand with resists on it.

Other leveling Uniques

Jewlery

Grab a Meginord's Girdle, its a big damage boost and helps a lot while leveling.

A Carnage Heart can help with stats, Resists and Leech, but make sure to replace it as soon as possible as the reduction to life is just terrible.

For early levels Blackheart Rings can help with some damage and Life.

Bodyarmour

Foxshade is a great Body Armour to use while leveling, providing Move Speed, Damage and decent Evasion.

Boots

Wanderlust give good move speed from level 1 on, really a great leveling item!

If you feel like you could use even more speed try Nomic's Storm.

They are terrible later on, but the movespeed can make leveling a lot faster if you know what you are doing. Not recomended for new Players.

The Blood Dance are also nice, help with Frenzy Charges and provide great Life regen.

Helmet

If you happen to have a Goldrim, put it on at level 1 and replace it when you can equip Abyssus ;)

The Peregrine, Fairgraves' Tricorne, Asenath's Mark, Honourhome might be other uniques you can use to cover your head while leveling.

The only thing that you should pay more than 1 Orb of Alchemy for is the Girdle, everything else is really cheap.

FAQ

Q: Do Stats on Death´s Hand Matter?
A:No, they don´t matter because you don´t use it to attack.

If you have any questions or critic feel free leave a comment here or contact me ingame when i am online.

I also stream from time to time at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsalvation_poe

You can also check all my Characters and latest builds in this Thread!
Current Builds:
All in one Thread until i make new Guides
poeurl.com/c4vT
Last edited by ZweihundertMorder on Mar 26, 2016, 1:11:12 AM
Last bumped on May 16, 2017, 6:52:46 PM
no taste of hate for flasks? curious on whether the others outweigh it in value (i personally think its very important?)

also what do you think of doryanis catalyst compared to the other 3 offhands listed?
What are you stunning with to get power charges from Death's Hand?
IGN: Trogdess
Any hit that hits hard enough can stun. Critical strikes most definitely do stun.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
"
zantsurai wrote:
no taste of hate for flasks? curious on whether the others outweigh it in value (i personally think its very important?)

also what do you think of doryanis catalyst compared to the other 3 offhands listed?

I would like to try a Taste of Hate, but for the moment i really like Rumis. I guess that i could replace the Atziri Flask with a Taste, as it will also help vs. Reflect and add some Damage.

But honestly, i really don´t know if it would be worth the high cost for this build.
If you allready have one, feel free to use it!

Catalyst could be a good offhand for Leech and the Damage for sure!

I guess with its price tag its the medium budget option between the lower level ones and the Death´s Hand.
Unholy might is just great and replacing the need for powercharge generation is priceles imho.

But speaking of the budget options, i really think that both are great choices! I played with both and was really suprised by Relentless Fury!

"
tenconamei wrote:
What are you stunning with to get power charges from Death's Hand?

What Etherfire said. My normal attacks stun just fine.

I get my charges even in boss fights,it works like a Powercharge on crit for me.

Also the Riposte hits really hard even unlinked, which will stun most enemies for sure and ECoMS reduces the stun threshold even more.

In hard fights i can get up to 66% block with Rumis so it triggers quite often.

I will add a Video later today!

Edit: Just tested this new Video recording software they are promoting here atm and made a really quick video just to try it, more later!
Merciless Voll
Current Builds:
poeurl.com/c4vT
Last edited by ZweihundertMorder on Jul 29, 2015, 3:31:15 AM
Hey man, consider this. Death's hand, while mentioned in the ziggy d video, is selling for 20 ex on standard. It's basically non existent. That's how popular ziggy d is.

Let's flip this around.

Be a dodge char instead of Iron Reflexes.

Wear a Daresso's Defiance.

Wear a Abyssus with almost no risk.

The DD chest gives you an Endurance charge per kill, some leech and dodge. You can be at 50/48 percent dodge with corrupted atziri boots and max endurance charges.

When you DO get him(as you are melee) your Immortal call has a nice long 3-4 second proc. In that time, zip out of danger, or kill what's bothering you.

You are mildly susceptible to being one shot sure... but you are a dodge char... you are always mildly susceptible to being 1 shot. Pre-potting is a thing!

Anyways, i did dual claws as this build and had something absurd like .10 attack speed and 65K damage with no Conc Effect.

The true DPS mode would be to use regular reave with conc effect for ~ 100K dps, then switch to vaal reave for packs.

Just wanted to share man. Enjoy.

TL:DR.

Daresso's Defiance provides safety for Abyssus use, Dual weilding two good weapons is better than spending 20 ex on a stat stick.(league dependent pricing of course)

"
The true DPS mode would be to use regular reave with conc effect for ~ 100K dps, then switch to vaal reave for packs.

Uhm i guess i should post Screen Shots.. but i have a little bit over 100k DPS without Conc on my Reave...

Have to check how much it is without the Deathhand, but it should be a little over 80k with the other weapons.

And the others are cheaper than a second good 1hander for sure.

And yeah you can do Dodge, but honestly i don´t think its anywhere close to beeing that tanky.

I get Block, Armour and can have a Immortal Call like i would have with a Daressos Defiance.

Current Builds:
poeurl.com/c4vT
"
We use a offhand weapon that can´t be used for reave to get the dualwield bonus, get Dualwield block and use offhand weapons that have a passiv benefit for our mainhand attacks.

As Evasion isn´t really viable in the current patch, i skipped getting Acro and went to get Iron Reflexes and some more dualwield blocknodes.

Hello. I'm new to PoE. This isn't the first time I have seen "fake DW builds" by using an offhand weapon that cannot work with the main attack gem (such as reave). Can you please explain why this is a thing? Why not just use another sword? Why is not having a viable offhand weapon better then having one?

I am also working on a DW build (with mostly crit)
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1359690
and I have been debating between going Acro and Phase Acro or getting DW blocking. From what I saw it does seem to be a bit cheaper to go Acro and Phase Acro since you only need 5 points to get them while DW blocking requires much more just to get to like 30+% chance to block. I was told that evasion goes hand in hand with Acro and Phase Acro, but now I read your comment and evasion and now I'm questioning the build. Why do you say Evasion isnt viable right now?

I am not looking to make a perfect PvE build, just something that works good enough for late game, however I do want to better understand my options and the benefits/weaknesses of each.
"
Damirith wrote:

Hello. I'm new to PoE. This isn't the first time I have seen "fake DW builds" by using an offhand weapon that cannot work with the main attack gem (such as reave). Can you please explain why this is a thing? Why not just use another sword? Why is not having a viable offhand weapon better then having one?

No its 100% not better. You gain exactly nothing from a 2nd good Sword AND have to pay to get 2 good swords instead of just one.

You get the dual wield bonus no matter if you can attack with the other weapon or not and if you wield to weapons to attack with you just alternate between them for attacks.

Ther just isn´t any benefit to it.

"
Damirith wrote:

I am also working on a DW build (with mostly crit)
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1359690
and I have been debating between going Acro and Phase Acro or getting DW blocking. From what I saw it does seem to be a bit cheaper to go Acro and Phase Acro since you only need 5 points to get them while DW blocking requires much more just to get to like 30+% chance to block. I was told that evasion goes hand in hand with Acro and Phase Acro, but now I read your comment and evasion and now I'm questioning the build. Why do you say Evasion isnt viable right now?

I am not looking to make a perfect PvE build, just something that works good enough for late game, however I do want to better understand my options and the benefits/weaknesses of each.

If it would be jsut the choice "Acro or DW Block" Acro would win out for sure.

But the question really is "Acro+Evasion or DW Block + Armour"

If you check my other build guide for 2.0 linked in my signature you wil lsee that i also played a Acro char to lvl 85 this league and for me Block + AR feels much better.

The Problem here is that the physical damage in maps is so high that you just cant afford to get all the damage without mitigation.

I would never play Acro+EV in Hardcore now, but for SC its still ok, i just feel like its not as good as just gettting armour if you have the option to do so.

As someone else said, if you can get a Lightning Coil and Taste of Hate, then Acro+EV is still better or at least the same.

Current Builds:
poeurl.com/c4vT
Hey man!

Well, since u posted this to me on reddit and got me interested in this build I might aswell give some feedback on the first 30levels I did yesterday.
All I can say is, so far so good. And I know it can only get better from here.

Started out with all the gems for this build from level 1 thanks to my other character, plus some I wanted when killing Dominus all the time. Equipped 2x Redbeak's and used Dual Strike/Molten Strike all the way. At level 8 I linked Molten with Added Cold since it dropped. Changed one Redbeak for Wildslash at level 12. And the other for Auromvorax at level 17. Linked Faster Attacks to Molten when I could just cuz I had a 3-link. At level 20 I played with Auromvorax + Lavianga's Wisdom, haven't changed since. Also had a Meginord's Girdle right from level 1 which boosted my damage a lot!

All in all, I managed to get to act 4 in 2.5h, which for me is quite good since i'm just a casual player due to work and gf.

Looking forward to the buildvideo, leveling guide and skill tree leveling. Thanks for the build :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info