Fallout 4

It looks like they're going for a similar art style to Fallout 3. The trailer's more colourful, but the difference between this wasteland and Fallout 3's wasteland seems to be a lot smaller than between Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

They also seem to be heavily banking on the same kind of imagery they used in Fallout 3 - the Vault dweller with a dog, the Brotherhood power armour, even the broken overpasses.

That's a bit unfortunate because of the major themes of New Vegas was moving on examining whether all that stuff from the past was really relevant anymore. It undercuts that when the sequel is answering it with a resounding "yes".

I do love the broken overpasses though...
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
"
Dan_GGG wrote:
It looks like they're going for a similar art style to Fallout 3. The trailer's more colourful, but the difference between this wasteland and Fallout 3's wasteland seems to be a lot smaller than between Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

They also seem to be heavily banking on the same kind of imagery they used in Fallout 3 - the Vault dweller with a dog, the Brotherhood power armour, even the broken overpasses.

That's a bit unfortunate because of the major themes of New Vegas was moving on examining whether all that stuff from the past was really relevant anymore. It undercuts that when the sequel is answering it with a resounding "yes".

I do love the broken overpasses though...

That's really interesting. It feels a lot like Fallout 3's more Gung-Ho approach with the focus on the Vertibird, the dog and the Brotherhood of Steel armor but the areas do look more fleshed out, kinda like NV.

The themes were totally different you're right Dan. I think the ex BIS guys at Obsidian and the guys at Beth just have fundamentally different styles they are going for in their built environment's narratives. FO3's D.C. was a much more urban and claustrophobic ( in a good way) experience. It was a nice contrast to the wastes and forts of FO1-2+NV's Nevada desert.

Anyone else notice in the trailer how it kept flashing back to the 50's inspired era before the bombs? One of the segments I really liked in Fallout 3 was the bit where you played a serial killer clown on a dead end street in this vintage 50's town. Would be cool if they added more flashback sequences. Maybe before and not long after the bomb type of scenarios could be cool.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Jun 4, 2015, 1:51:50 AM
I hate being Mr. Cynical, as usual but I have a feeling that it is going to just feel like a modded Fallout 3. The 'upgrade' from Oblivion to Skyrim didn't inspire me with confidence.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
The possibility certainly exists, but Bethesda do have a history of major systemic overhauls on stuff like TES, so I'm not personally confident in guessing where the gameplay will be at just yet.

In any case, New Vegas felt like a modded Fallout 3 and still managed to be one of my favourite games of all time.
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
"
Dan_GGG wrote:
The possibility certainly exists, but Bethesda do have a history of major systemic overhauls on stuff like TES, so I'm not personally confident in guessing where the gameplay will be at just yet.

In any case, New Vegas felt like a modded Fallout 3 and still managed to be one of my favourite games of all time.

I always hear that but I just never saw it. The whole time I was playing New Vegas, I felt like it was just more Fallout 3. I was burned out on it extremely quickly and just pushed to end it via the main quest which I rarely ever do in Bethesda's games(I know it was made by Obsidian.)

I shall remain positive for Fallout 4 though. I do hope they make it into its own game though. Bonus points if they've finally learned how to do animations/writing and not god awful level scaling/leveled loot everywhere.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Wonder if there's gonna be another "finish the main quest and play no more" ending, or not. I hate the notion of deliberately deferring completing the critical mission because it means you don't get to play anymore after the closing cinematics. At the very least, that would mean waiting until some/all DLC had dropped before starting to play, in order to get past that (assuming things work as they did in FO3). ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Last edited by Raycheetah on Jun 4, 2015, 8:49:43 AM
It is also coming to console's, so it will be a downgrade to any PC gamers expectations. Don't get your hopes up.

Crappy UI, broken game at release (aka beta test for $60 on pc) smaller areas, the typical less fun associated with a game made for consoles that also comes to pc. Unfortunately Bethesda, is no cdprojectred.

*edited: Hope I am proved wrong though. I loved Fallout 3 and Vegas! (Yes I said vegas lol)
Last edited by Gixxerdude on Jun 4, 2015, 9:51:15 AM
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Wonder if there's gonna be another "finish the main quest and play no more" ending, or not. I hate the notion of deliberately deferring completing the critical mission because it means you don't get to play anymore after the closing cinematics. At the very least, that would mean waiting until some/all DLC had dropped before starting to play, in order to get past that (assuming things work as they did in FO3). ='[.]'=

I agree with ya, that was kinda shit. As long as they don't end it on an "everything blows up..again" note it should be ok.

I must admit, on my first playthrough I nuked the shit out've Megaton. I'm more of a condo in a tower kinda guy anyway
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
Gixxerdude wrote:
It is also coming to console's, so it will be a downgrade to any PC gamers expectations. Don't get your hopes up.

Crappy UI, broken game at release (aka beta test for $60 on pc) smaller areas, the typical less fun associated with a game made for consoles that also comes to pc. Unfortunately Bethesda, is no cdprojectred.

*edited: Hope I am proved wrong though. I loved Fallout 3 and Vegas! (Yes I said vegas lol)

The problem is largely that the game will be limited in order to fit in with console gaming. The advantage of PC gaming will be that the modding community will work to exceed those artificial limitations, and Bethesda knows it. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
TheWretch wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:

I agree with ya, that was kinda shit. As long as they don't end it on an "everything blows up..again" note it should be ok.

I must admit, on my first playthrough I nuked the shit out've Megaton. I'm more of a condo in a tower kinda guy anyway

Figgered you'd hunt for a mod letting you doss in the Dunwich Building. =^[.]^=

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info