Legacy items are bullshit

lol. "omg legacy items blah blah blah".

Tell me something Scrotie, how does something affect you when you don't have to have it?

The only possible method of getting legacy items is by trading or having them drop before they are grandfathered in. If you don't like legacy items-which I can't think of a single reason why-you can do the following to rid yourself of their falsely bad nature:

1. Destroy them. Clicking the ground with it on the cursor, in case you don't know how to do this.

2. Trade them for something else.

3. Give them away.

4. Vendor them for their worth.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
So a man drives into an automobile dealership and steps out.
"I'd like to return this car."
"It drove in fine enough. Doesn't look broke to me."
"I just bought it an hour ago and it will not go in reverse."
"You're right, it doesn't do that. Particular kink in the engine."
"Well how the hell am I supposed to drive a car I can't reverse?"
"Just don't make any mistakes."
"Well I already did. Look at this side here. Scratched it all up trying to get out of a parking spot."
"Well, I guess it was the best you could do."
"Huh?"
"In any case, you got out, so the car doesn't need reverse."
"Uh, yes it does."
"Noop. Good day sir."

Now if this sounds like the person buying the engine is getting utterly fucked over, you are right. Just as GGG was getting screwed when they somehow bought an engine which wouldn't allow them to make mistakes.

This is astonishing enough, but it's not even like GGG has replaced the original after a few days. No sir. This is an issue which has been around for years, yet continually expressed as a dichotomy between short-term options... and that is bullshit.

-----

Recently I conducted a little experiment. I wanted to see what people felt about the "legacy item" policy in regards to something which isn't as directly tied to gameplay. So I made this thread regarding legacy flavour text.

The results, as of this writing, are: if a piece of politically incorrect, potentially offensive poem made its way onto an item, 42% would want it to remain, 45% would want it struck from ALL copies of the item, and only 13% would want to "legacy" the non-PC flavour text.

The results don't surprise me too much. If you don't think something is broke, you don't want it fixed; if you think it is broke, you want it fixed everywhere.

Furthermore, the legacy option sends a very strange message. On the one hand it seems to pay lip service to the political correctness element, while on the other it seems to tell them the text is okay for others to enjoy. It's like if a workplace had a policy of "hey guys, I'm not saying you can't tell racist jokes, but for Pete's sake don't tell them where any non-white folk can hear you." It oozes a hypocrisy the other two options lack.

Now the linked thread was closed for getting out of control, and I don't intend this thread to be on that topic specifically. Instead I ask: as a game developer, shouldn't GGG have even more passion for its gameplay and mechanics than it has for political correctness? And if so, and half-measures like the "legacy item" policy make no sense for flavour text, don't they make even less sense for actual gameplay factors?

If it doesn't need fixing, don't fix it. But if it does, don't halfass the fix.

-----

Legacy items change in viability almost every major patch. Naturally, the legacies themselves don't change, because that might make too much sense and we couldn't have that. But like all uniques, everything else changes around them.

Upcoming potential aura changes have Shavronne's Wrappings users scrambling for Enlightens. Cloak of Defiance becomes a new animal with the beta EB change. The death of spell shotgunning has us wondering how Taryn's Shiver and Freezing Pulse will get along. A Flameblast nerf effects Infernal Mantle builds. Bringer of Rain got its block chance reduce both on- and off-item. As base life and life nodes have changed over the years, Kaom's Heart has lost power (as I predicted years ago).

And so on, ad infinitum.

So if so much balancing is done dancing around the institutionalized immutability of legacy items, couldn't we just always change the passive tree and/or support gems and leave the uniques themselves alone?

Almost, perhaps. But certainly not, due to one stopper: legacy items themselves. You can't balance block chance in Standard around both legacy and non-legacy Bringer of Rain. Or ES around both legacy and non Shavronne's Wrappings. If one is balanced, the other is either under- or overpwered.

So essentially, if you're in Standard, you are either in the Old Player Club with access, or you're not. You might be able to buy your way in if you're new, but it's definitely not something you'll be able to do on your own. Only old members can sponsor new members.

And perhaps that - leaving your maximum gearing potential solely and squarely to the whim of another player - is the most bullshit of all.

In other words, you don't have any legacy items and are jelous of those who do.
Sincerely,
Ren
Uber Atziri & Mirror Service: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1187517
Spectral Throw Guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1692620
Mjolner Guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1519485
Forgot to mention something.

How does something affect you if it is well within your power to avoid it?

Since legacy items cannot drop, there's no way that they can come at you, after you, stalk you, or whatever you want to call it.

If you already have them, it's easy to permanently dispose of them, with the chance of getting nothing or getting a lot of currency or items.

And if you don't have them and they don't drop, why bitch about them?
Regarding the "it doesn't hurt you" argument...

Consider this: If all legacy items were reverted to their nonlegacy versions this very instant, how much would it hurt the players holding the legacy items?

I don't mean this as a cheap jab. I'm serious. Let's consider the situation in earnest.

I acknowledge that, in some cases, legacies are more fun than their nonlegacy counterparts. They add to the game and are a good thing worth defending.

I also see that, in some cases, legacies make the game overly trivial, and thus decrease overall enjoyment. In this case the legacy version detracts from the game.

It's really on a by-item basis. Some legacies are a net hurt, some a net gain. Sum it all totogether, and that is how much net help (or hurt) legacy holders get from the existence of legacies.

Now invert that, and what you have is the net hurt (or help) which newer players experience by having legacy items cut off from them.

You cannot really make the argument that being denied access to legacy items has no significant effect on newer entrants to permanent leagues, unless you also accept its corollary: that being allowed access to legacy items has no significant effect on those who have them. If x is zero, then negative x is also zero.

But if you take such a position, why argue so ferverently?

Now if you think the legacy versions of uniques provide a more enriching gameplay experience than the nonlegacy versions, that's not an inherently hypocritical thing to believe. For several uniques, I would agree with you. But the nonhypocritical thing is to argue that the legacy version be allowed to drop for all permanent league players, so everyone could get in on the fun legacy holders enjoy.

If it is a good thing, why disable access?

By the way, all of your questions for me were actually "why nerf at all?" questions. Why nerf a powerful unique (in Standard) at all, if players don't have to use it, and can play with different gear or skills instead? Why don't people (in Standard) just house-rule themselves away from particular strategies if they don't like them because they think they're overpowered? Well, that's an interesting discussion, but directed at the wrong entity. I'm not the one who decides to nerf uniques. I'm just saying, either nerf all of them (in a particular league), or don't nerf (in that league) at all.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 19, 2015, 2:34:04 PM

"
Consider this: If all legacy items were reverted to their nonlegacy versions this very instant, how much would it hurt the players holding the legacy items?

Depends we haven't defined legacy fully have we? Is it just unqiue items with various rolls, is it legacy gem (only IIQ now) or is it everything that has a different roll completely, for example legacy crit multi?

If its just legacy unqiues it wouldn't be the end of the world, currently I think all legacy unqiues could be swapped out with the new rolled one and work ok, exceptions probably being soultaker, kaoms heart and facebreakers, those would probably be hit the hardest to the point of not wanting to play anymore.

"
I don't mean this as a cheap jab. I'm serious. Let's consider the situation in earnest.

I am serious, have I ever made a post that wasn't?

"
You cannot really make the argument that being denied access to legacy items has no significant effect on newer entrants to permanent leagues

Sure I (we can), said players without legacy items only know of there exsistance after research they don't know of them because they found one dropped. Thats like me giving you a black box, you know something valuable is inside of it because I briefly showed you what was in it before. Then I give someone a blue box, they don't know its 2/3 as good as what I gave you because they didn't see the black box ever.

To be fair I don't think GGG is very concerned with new players starting into a perm league, there is a reason why GGG defaulted players to the SC temp league.

The argument is people don't like change first and foremost, but because we know things are going to change we don't want EVERYTHING about a build or playstyle to change, literally the only thing that is currently safe for existing characters is their gear, everything else GGG can touch and will.

But like I mentioned in all but a few cases you could swap out the legacy unqiues for new ones and player's builds would be perfectly fine, that being said it isn't up to you to play god with people's items they already found and TBH it isn't in GGG's best interest to either.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
The reason to not drop legacy items in standard is money.

For example (from the thread suggesting a Kaom's Heart buff):

"
Dark_Chicken wrote:
If you're suggesting changing existing kaoms to legacy no way it's going to happen, it would destroy the current and rising leg kaom price.

No item has increased as much as leg kaom in the past several months, making all kaoms leg would wipe out alot of wealth, i dont think GGG would even do that... it would make the acuity crash a cakewalk.

if you mean having leg kaoms drop again, then that would be OK (still never going to happen)

I'm less concerned about legacy items, and more about overpowered ones (this is not Call of Duty), or the fact that sometimes the tree is going to be hit first rather than the items, because it's the alternative with the lesser political cost.

Fact is, people are lobbying thinking on terms of what it's better for them, rather that better for everyone. GGG should try to balance between the individualist and colectivist tendencies somehow. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on May 19, 2015, 2:40:19 PM
Being unaware that one is missing out is still missing out. Just with far less complaining.

Every softcore temp league character becomes a Standard character unless deleted. As such, virtually every temp league character creation is also a Standard character creation.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 19, 2015, 2:40:02 PM
I dont think it would hurt them at all. As ive said legacies are infinitesimal difference in combat. Would a non leg shav shatterchuck notice on uber vs wearing his leg? doubtful. But thats not the point. Point is having the best and getting what you paid for. How is that so hard to understand? This game is all about min maxing, saving and finally being rewarded for your efforts and you're robbing that experience

Its like if I buy a V8 supercharged Mustang and Ford sneaks in my garage at 2:30am and slips a V6 in it. Uncool.

I could still make it to work just fine but i'd be pissed.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 19, 2015, 2:46:33 PM
"
Now invert that, and what you have is the net hurt (or help) which newer players experience by having legacy items cut off from them.
In that case, I would say that the net hurt felt by newer players being cut off from legacy items is 100% psychological. If they didn't know such items existed, they would 100% not feel hurt by not having them.

But taking something away from somebody who already has it is not a 100% psychological hurt. It includes a tangible loss. You had something that somebody took away. If somebody is born with 6 fingers and you Lopped one off against their will, they would feel a real loss even though now they have the same 5 fingers as everybody else.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on May 19, 2015, 2:41:06 PM
"
mark1030 wrote:
"
In that case, I would say that the net hurt felt by newer players being cut off from legacy items is 100% psychological. If they didn't know such items existed, they would 100% not feel hurt by not having them.

But taking something away from somebody who already has it is not a 100% psychological hurt. It includes a tangible loss. You had something that somebody took away. If somebody is born with 6 fingers and you Lopped one off against their will, they would feel a real loss even though now they have the same 5 fingers as everybody else.

/end thread

No seriously this best answers his question (aside from my post).
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info