Oh Look, Valve are dickheads, part Infinity

"
BearCares wrote:
You guys are contradicting yourselves over and over again. The bottom line is that you're cheap! Otherwise, the things you are saying would make more sense!

This thread is just an echo chamber of emotes from a bunch of people too cheap to pay for their mods. You aren't entitled to mods. Bottom line.

Fuck that if you want money put a fucking donation button LOL. I'm not paying shit when it's always been free hey here.

I have a video for you embrace it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDyXIXyAZq0

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Apr 25, 2015, 9:17:05 AM
"
BearCares wrote:
You guys are contradicting yourselves over and over again. The bottom line is that you're cheap! Otherwise, the things you are saying would make more sense!

This thread is just an echo chamber of emotes from a bunch of people too cheap to pay for their mods. You aren't entitled to mods. Bottom line.

\_/
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
We just do not want to see a fan made non commercial activity turned to third party DLC buiseness. And yeah, personally speaking i am cheap. My current version of skyrim would propably cost 200$. Now if a modder wants to go full pro, making it a full time job releasing ACTUAL DLC size mods of good quality, then propably it would be OK for him sell his mod, but not Valve's terms.

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/33qcaj/the_experiment_has_failed_my_exit_from_the/

Interesting read by a modder who was contacted by valve/bethesda and was initialy a supporter of this.

The final paragraph:

Real-time update - I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable.

Besides everything, there are also copyright and control issues appearing with the whole thing. It also raises the quetion if it is ethical to develop a paid mod, that requires another FREE mod in order to function. Complicated buiseness, with no real and visible legal boundaries. Furthermore, it seems like Valve approached all popular modders over a month ago, trying to monopolise the system.

Not to mention they are banning and silencing people on steam that oppose paid modding.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
Last edited by Poutsos on Apr 25, 2015, 10:57:37 AM
"
BearCares wrote:

I am incredibly cheap that is true. But that is not the bottom line - I spend a ridiculous amount of money on video games year after year even being as cheap as I am.

I don't think you even know why you are defending Valve. I think you like their sales so you feel the need. Otherwise no one in their right mind, who doesnt mod themselves, would ever defend this.

The silver lining in all of this? This is a fantastic opportunity for an exodus away from Valve and their scumbag, shitheel business ethics. The goodwill is spent, the only thing holding people on the trashheap that is Steam is the fact they have so many games on it. There is no community, just russian scammers trying to friend you. The same sales they run are ALWAYS run on the developers portal simultaneously. If you can not buy it through the scumbags - don't.

Wait until November when Valve makes their big attempt at being a console. Hopefully they crash, burn and lose millions on the experiment. I'd love to see them all out of a job and each of their children starving in the sarengetti's of sub-Sahara Africa. Not hungry - STARVED.
"
Poutsos wrote:

Besides everything, there are also copyright and control issues appearing with the whole thing. It also raises the quetion if it is ethical to develop a paid mod, that requires another FREE mod in order to function. Complicated buiseness, with no real and visible legal boundaries. Furthermore, it seems like Valve approached all popular modders over a month ago, trying to monopolise the system.

Not to mention they are banning and silencing people on steam that oppose paid modding.

I've been on a letter writing campaign to my state's sentors for about a year now (mostly concerning Early Access and refund policy) attempting to both stop and litigate against Valve. In my state (Georgia) the task is difficult as the states representatives here dont know what a hard drive is much less the intricacies of virtual goods. A grass roots effort for all concerned US citizens to contact their representatives is what really needs to happen. Not really for modding as just putting a stop to these scumbags in general.

Litigation at the government level will shut them the fuck up for good.
Last edited by FireWalkWithMe on Apr 25, 2015, 2:05:40 PM
"
BearCares wrote:

I sincerely wish everyone had a choice to be cheap. Anyway, gonna go back to playing Skyrim on my personal yacht, later! Haven't had to interact with one of my paid servants/yacht operators in days. Man, this is an awesome life I live.
"In a state of physical balance and security, power, intellectual as well as physical, would be out of place."
- H. G. Wells, The Time Machine
"
"
BearCares wrote:

Fuck that if you want money put a fucking donation button LOL. I'm not paying shit when it's always been free hey here.

Lol the last line "I bet we'll start selling big fixes next" was brilliant :P
Last edited by FireWalkWithMe on Apr 25, 2015, 2:10:00 PM
Current discussion on the Nexus:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12454/?page=9&sort=DESC&pid=0&thread_id=2795509&pUp=1

Dig deep enough into the comments, and you'll find what I had to say, should you care. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Current discussion on the Nexus:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12454/?page=9&sort=DESC&pid=0&thread_id=2795509&pUp=1

Dig deep enough into the comments, and you'll find what I had to say, should you care. =^[.]^=

thanks for the link I'm not hip to a lot of forums.

I'm pouring through it but this line:

"Obviously this news has been a huge deal, and probably exploded far more than Valve and Bethesda realised it would (and not particularly positively, lets face it!)."

I feel is way off. I think valve knew completely what this would do. They are tied to the pc community they know their passion. But what they also know is that for the most part, gamers are spineless with no sense of commitment. There will be a forum firestorm, followed by everyone losing interest and following the new drama of the day - while they slowly but surely make charging for mods a regular part of commerce.

Bethesda took on paid dlc with Horse Armor in Oblivion and got blasted for it. They unflinchingly stuck to it and look at gaming today. Bethesda was the perfect partner on this. The scumbags at Valve knew this. They would have never chosen Meier's team to test this on because I bet my life Meier's team has initial integrity. Hell, they having modding integrated into the game's menus for christ's sake.

What Firaxis does with this will be the litmus test imho. Bethesda, talented as they are, are always aspiring to be better scumbags then they are.
Last edited by FireWalkWithMe on Apr 25, 2015, 2:45:24 PM
"
"
BearCares wrote:

That video is hilarious and sums it up perfectly.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info