Oh Look, Valve are dickheads, part Infinity

Regardless of whether Valve or publisher is getting the lion's share of moneys, 75% is pretty darn high.

I should point out that I'm a bit of a realist in these matters. Knowing how retail works, I was expecting worse than Google Play's 30% take and more of an even split type of situation.

But only 25% to content creators? Should be at least 40%. Maybe modders should form a union or something, because it seems capital is trouncing all over them.

But for most players, they don't really care where the money goes, and changing the portion modders see will have little if any effect on mod pricing (no, they won't pass the savings down, they just won't starve). Hell, 25% is still more than nothing. Mods are going to cost money from now on. As they should. Get over it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 24, 2015, 1:19:08 PM
Also, for reference:
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
this can easily backfire.
Oblivious
What I find worst about this is that it takes the fun out of modding. Modding was always a passion for amateurs who do it just for fun or to increase the portfolio they can show to their future employers in the gaming industry. Now it will become a fierce competitive playground where people will try to milk the most profit out of modding, including ripping each other off, stealing free mods from nexus (already happening) and so on. It just feels really bad. It also divides the players and the modders, before this happened modders were the cool guys who improved games and every player loved them. Now they're just sellers and the players are customers.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Apr 24, 2015, 2:15:31 PM
"
Xavderion wrote:
What I find worst about this is that it takes the fun out of modding. Modding was always a passion for amateurs who do it just for fun or to increase the portfolio they can show to their future employers in the gaming industry. Now it will become a fierce competitive playground where people will try to milk the most profit out of modding, including ripping each other off, stealing free mods from nexus (already happening) and so on. It just feels really bad. It also divides the players and the modders, before this happened modders were the cool guys who improved games and every player loved them. Now they're just sellers and the players are customers.

To that point it takes the appreciators of mods fun away as well. I don't posses one finger of talent compared to some of these guys but I always verbally marveled at what they could do. Now Valve wants to monetize that like they want to monetize everything. Just for themselves.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-first-paid-skyrim-mod-has-been-pulled-290924.phtml
You can still put your mod on Steam for free, right?
"
Xavderion wrote:

I'm sorry, but this strikes me as a just a load of STUFF.

does competition take the fun away from basketball? Does competition take the fun away from PLAYING a computer game? Does the ESL take fun away from counter strike?

NO!!!

what are you talking like, all the modders in the world are going to have their feelings hurt that people are going to put price tags on their work? NO. They'll feel like ballers when they are able to buy their first pizza from pursuing their favorite hobby!
"
Modding was always a passion for amateurs who do it just for fun or to increase the portfolio they can show to their future employers in the gaming industry.

Just no. Modding modunfriendly games takes a lot of experience. Diablo2 for example had only such a big modder community because it was popular to hack.

There are several mods where former Devs actually created content because it never has been finished or got scrapped in the final reason for whatever reason.

The only thing that will happen is that modders will steal other mods and the mods will be pulled.
The best mods are developed in large teams. Sure there are a few good mods developed by one person but they took 5-7 years to be finished.

But guys this will open the door to all kinds of interesting mods!!

Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Also, for reference:

Can confirm first hand from my Gamestop days. They order containers full of those biogenics garbage peripherals from china for pennies and sell them for 20$ a pop.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info