Oh Look, Valve are dickheads, part Infinity

I don't even understand what you guys are getting at. If you could make a mod and then get some money for it and then be able to put that on your resume that's a win/win/win (for modders).

I will agree that they got the ratio of funds incorrect. It should really have been 50/50. But for modders to go from getting nothing, to getting something is a step up. Btw, I am an amateur game developer. I'm not saying I'm awesome, I'm saying that I've spent time with a lot of other pro/aspiring developers and there isn't anywhere else you can go to make money off of other people's game than this deal that Valve is offering. At least not as far as I know.

You guys are being ridiculous.
At issue is being forced to buy a mod. Now if there was a donate function, that would be acceptable. But as of now, I would just buy the game, play it and then go on to the next game. Mods are not that important to the first play through.
"forced to buy a mod"?

It takes hundreds/thousands of hours of practice to gain the skill necessary to make a quality mod. I find it even stranger that mods were ever given away for free in the first place.

I mean if you will pay $2 for a burger I don't understand the outrage over paying $2 for a mod.
"
BearCares wrote:
I don't even understand what you guys are getting at. If you could make a mod and then get some money for it and then be able to put that on your resume that's a win/win/win (for modders).

I will agree that they got the ratio of funds incorrect. It should really have been 50/50. But for modders to go from getting nothing, to getting something is a step up. Btw, I am an amateur game developer. I'm not saying I'm awesome, I'm saying that I've spent time with a lot of other pro/aspiring developers and there isn't anywhere else you can go to make money off of other people's game than this deal that Valve is offering. At least not as far as I know.

You guys are being ridiculous.

How are we being ridiculous exactly?

2 days ago I got something for free while passionate modders got to do something they enjoyed while padding a resume to get into a career they wanted.

Today I have to pay for it.

I am being ridiculous because I am not overjoyed that Valve scumbags have spent the past two years focusing on scamming their public with:

~holiday events where the point is spending money to "win"
~an auction system to buy bids (much like scam bidding sites for electronics all over the net)
~no refunds in the US
~0 customer service

fuck, I could go on forever. They arent developers any longer there is no money in it. They have the community making maps and items for them they just sit back and see what scam they can event to pull in some more revenue. At this point if Origin could make their portal more robust I'd gladly switch over. It is the superior product. valve makes Microsoft look like saints in comparion.

tl;dr

Valve are the new industry standard of scumbags.
Last edited by FireWalkWithMe on Apr 24, 2015, 7:54:34 AM
You can already support modders financially if you want, and many people do. This is mostly about milking the players even more, and making profit from somebody elses work. Developers already are making alot of money through modding indirectly, since modding is one of the strongest selling points in PC platform. Modding is pure as of now. It is the way of a passionate player to customise the game to HIS vision and share it with you. This could put nodders into unescesery competition, trying to make mods that would appeal to the most players, instead of doing their own thing. Also most mosts are extremely buggy, and even if they are not, they tend to conflict with other mods and breaking your game. It has happened to me on skyrim on several occasions. And yet i was not complaing. It was just that. Amateurs sharing their passion. Now if i buy a mod, and breaks my game, i would be very rightfully, very pissed. Not to mention that mods for the most part are not meant to be permanent. It is a way for you to costantly customize and change the game. And if you really like somebody's work, you can support him.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"

2 days ago I got something for free while passionate modders got to do something they enjoyed while padding a resume to get into a career they wanted.

Today I have to pay for it.

So you are pissed off at Valve because modders are now able to profit from their work? Or is it that they take a percentage? Do you expect them to allow folks to use the platform to sell their goods they maintain for free out of the goodness of their hearts?

"
I am being ridiculous because I am not overjoyed that Valve scumbags have spent the past two years focusing on scamming their public with:

~holiday events where the point is spending money to "win"
~an auction system to buy bids (much like scam bidding sites for electronics all over the net)
~no refunds in the US
~0 customer service

fuck, I could go on forever. They arent developers any longer there is no money in it. They have the community making maps and items for them they just sit back and see what scam they can event to pull in some more revenue. At this point if Origin could make their portal more robust I'd gladly switch over. It is the superior product. valve makes Microsoft look like saints in comparion.

tl;dr

Valve are the new industry standard of scumbags.

These issues have nothing to do with what you originally brought up. There are a plethora of reasons to be annoyed with Valve. I don't think taking a percentage of sales from modders that CHOSE to sell their work is one of them. Modders win because they have access to the larges gaming platform in PC gaming to sell their goods. So it isn't like they lose anything. If a mod team chooses to sell their mod, then why do you care who sells it? How do you lose? So the complaint pretty much comes down to Valve getting a profit from it. Maybe their percentage is too high, but they are allowing access to their platform so, that is their prerogative, is it not? I'd agree it is monopolistic, because there isn't really anything to challenge the steam platform on the PC ( GoG and Origin are barely worth mentioning ), but it is their right at this point.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
"
Poutsos wrote:
You can already support modders financially if you want, and many people do. This is mostly about milking the players even more, and making profit from somebody elses work. Developers already are making alot of money through modding indirectly, since modding is one of the strongest selling points in PC platform. Modding is pure as of now. It is the way of a passionate player to customise the game to HIS vision and share it with you. This could put nodders into unescesery competition, trying to make mods that would appeal to the most players, instead of doing their own thing. Also most mosts are extremely buggy, and even if they are not, they tend to conflict with other mods and breaking your game. It has happened to me on skyrim on several occasions. And yet i was not complaing. It was just that. Amateurs sharing their passion. Now if i buy a mod, and breaks my game, i would be very rightfully, very pissed. Not to mention that mods for the most part are not meant to be permanent. It is a way for you to costantly customize and change the game. And if you really like somebody's work, you can support him.

Don't worry Valve is giving you 24 hours to find all of the bugs in your 130 hour+ games for a refund. You have nothing to complain about - this is Valve we are talking about. If you say anything bad about them we will pull your PC card away and you'll be forced back into the dark ages.

Poutsos, man think this through, bud. If modders are making money, they will hold themselves more accountable to compatibility concerns because they want their mods to have as wide appeal as possible. That means, you are less likely to run into situations where one mod will conflict with another. Particularly the most popular ones.

Now about the passion thing. Psssh. Contrary to urban myth, money does not diminish passion. Perhaps greed does. But money and greed aren't always chained together.
"
MaxTheLimit wrote:

So you are pissed off at Valve because modders are now able to profit from their work? Or is it that they take a percentage? Do you expect them to allow folks to use the platform to sell their goods they maintain for free out of the goodness of their hearts?

As someone else said mods drive sales for publishers. The reason Skyrim and Civ V have been in the top 20 in sales for 3 years now can be likened to the fact that so many mods are available.

But to your question no I dont expect them to do it out of the goodness of their hearts. They are gold standard scumbags emotion doesn't exist as it did years ago.

"
MaxTheLimit wrote:
These issues have nothing to do with what you originally brought up. There are a plethora of reasons to be annoyed with Valve. I don't think taking a percentage of sales from modders that CHOSE to sell their work is one of them. Modders win because they have access to the larges gaming platform in PC gaming to sell their goods. So it isn't like they lose anything. If a mod team chooses to sell their mod, then why do you care who sells it? How do you lose? So the complaint pretty much comes down to Valve getting a profit from it. Maybe their percentage is too high, but they are allowing access to their platform so, that is their prerogative, is it not? I'd agree it is monopolistic, because there isn't really anything to challenge the steam platform on the PC ( GoG and Origin are barely worth mentioning ), but it is their right at this point.

I brought up those reasons just to shore up Valve being assholes - because I know how people will rush to their defense because they have some remnant of their former goodwill.

we could play "we are capitalist you make the choice" back and forth all day long. when all of the mods were created pure profit motive was not the driving force. Today it is. I'd rather take Aristotle's greater good motive but it would fall on deaf ears.

It is my genuine hope that the publishers, the modders, the consumers and most especially scumbag Valve suffer for this - so it goes away. I want Valve to go away before they wreck what they helped create.
Last edited by FireWalkWithMe on Apr 24, 2015, 9:11:20 AM
"
MaxTheLimit wrote:
I don't think taking a percentage of sales from modders that CHOSE to sell their work is one of them. Modders win because they have access to the larges gaming platform in PC gaming to sell their goods.

Your point is totally ignoring the obvious monopoly problem when it comes to Valve. They know they can take 75% because when you're not on Steam, you almost don't exist in tue video game industry nowadays. It's not about choice at all, despite your use of capital letters to convince us. It's no coincidence that Valve uses the "gtfo of my catalog" penalty as a consequence of developers-studio & Valve litigations. They know they can do what they want with modding because just for anything else, Steam will be the place to be for it. It's not a "win-win" situation. It's, once again, an abuse of dominant position. They just don't give a fuck.
IGN : @Morgoth
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Apr 24, 2015, 10:00:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info