Oh Look, Valve are dickheads, part Infinity

"

As someone else said mods drive sales for publishers. The reason Skyrim and Civ V have been in the top 20 in sales for 3 years now can be likened to the fact that so many mods are available.

This doesn't prevent free mods though. It merely provides an avenue for mod developers to charge for their work if they chose. This also doesn't CREATE the opportunity to charge for a mod, it simply provides a new easier avenue to do so. How exactly does a modder choosing to charge for their work make Valve scum bags?

"
But to your question no I dont expect them to do it out of the goodness of their hearts. They are gold standard scumbags emotion doesn't exist as it did years ago.

So, either you offer your services ( which are the basis for your business model ) for free, or you are a scum bag? I'm not sure there are many companies that would survive under your guidelines.

"
I brought up those reasons just to shore up Valve being assholes - because I know how people will rush to their defense because they have some remnant of their former goodwill.

we could play "we are capitalist you make the choice" back and forth all day long. when all of the mods were created pure profit motive was not the driving force. Today it is. I'd rather take Aristotle's greater good motive but it would fall on deaf ears.

It is my genuine hope that the publishers, the modders, the consumers and most especially scumbag Valve suffer for this - so it goes away. I want Valve to go away before they wreck what they helped create.

There are a multitude of options for complaints against Valve these days, but this isn't one of them. Your arguments against valve in this instance are flimsier than dollar store cookware. Man, I don't mean to offend, because on the whole I do agree that Valve has taken some troubling turns in the past few years. But, in this case I really disagree.

"
Morgoth2356 wrote:
Your point is totally ignoring the obvious monopoly problem when it comes to Valve. They know they can take 75% because when you're not on Steam, you almost don't exist in tue video game industry nowadays. It's not about choice at all, despite your use of capital letters to convince us. It's no coincidence that Valve uses the "gtfo of my catalog" penalty as a consequence of developers-studio & Valve litigations. They know they can do what they want with modding because just for anything else, Steam will be the place to be for it. It's not a "win-win" situation. It's, once again, an abuse of dominant position. They just don't give a fuck.

No it doesn't. I specifically mentioned how it is monopolistic.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
Last edited by MaxTheLimit on Apr 24, 2015, 10:05:29 AM
I wonder what the legal ramifications are going to be for modders that use assets from other copy written works and then try to sell the mods, while bethesda and steam are getting portions of the cut.
Will be interesting how this plays out. Best case scenario for me would be that it leads to the creation of bukkit like servers for elder scrolls games.
Hey...is this thing on?
"
Xavderion wrote:
Another money grab. Meanwhile their customer support is still utter shit.

Valve is taking 75% commission for every sale, by the way.
Citation needed.

From my research, Steam takes a 5% fee. Additionally, there is a fee determined by the publisher (Bethesda for Skyrim, 2K and Aspyr for Civ 5, Valve for TF2, etc) which goes to that publisher. For Valve's games (TF2, Counterstrike, etc), the publisher fee is set to 10%, making 15% total. For other publishers, it's whatever they want it to be.

As a contrast, Google takes 30% of offerings on their Play Store.

So chances are that someone other than Valve is the primary asshole here. What this seems to be is yet another case of Valve not being greedy so much as overly permissive, allowing publishers big and small to get away with murder on the Steam platform.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 24, 2015, 10:41:19 AM
"
MaxTheLimit wrote:

"
Morgoth2356 wrote:
Your point is totally ignoring the obvious monopoly problem when it comes to Valve. They know they can take 75% because when you're not on Steam, you almost don't exist in tue video game industry nowadays. It's not about choice at all, despite your use of capital letters to convince us. It's no coincidence that Valve uses the "gtfo of my catalog" penalty as a consequence of developers-studio & Valve litigations. They know they can do what they want with modding because just for anything else, Steam will be the place to be for it. It's not a "win-win" situation. It's, once again, an abuse of dominant position. They just don't give a fuck.

No it doesn't. I specifically mentioned how it is monopolistic.

"Monopoly" and "having a choice" are totally opposite, but ok.
IGN : @Morgoth
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
Another money grab. Meanwhile their customer support is still utter shit.

Valve is taking 75% commission for every sale, by the way.
Citation needed.

From my research, Steam takes a 5% fee. Additionally, there is a fee determined by the publisher (Bethesda for Skyrim, 2K and Aspyr for Civ 5, Valve for TF2, etc) which goes to that publisher. For Valve's games (TF2, Counterstrike, etc), the publisher fee is set to 10%, making 15% total. For other publishers, it's whatever they want it to be.

As a contrast, Google takes 30% of offerings on their Play Store.

So chances are that someone other than Valve is the primary asshole here. What this seems to be is yet another case of Valve not being greedy so much as overly permissive, allowing publishers big and small to get away with murder on the Steam platform.

Also, this happens when a company virtually has a monopoly. They could push pretty much anything on their player base now when people have spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars on their Steam library. This will also happen when Nvidia becomes the sole provider of dedicated graphic cards (AMD will be kill soon), enjoy paying 700 dollars for a mid range gpu.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
You still haven't tracked where that 75% is going. How much to Valve, and how much to the developer of the game itself?

Also, what game is that? It is not 75% across the board.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
You still haven't tracked where that 75% is going. How much to Valve, and how much to the developer of the game itself?

Also, what game is that? It is not 75% across the board.

Ah, you're talking about games, I'm talking about mods though. With games Valve usually takes a 30% cut, rest goes to the publisher. With mods Valve takes a 75% cut and some of that goes to the publisher. Don't know how much.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
The idea isn't new. It will utterly fail just like Neverwinter Nights "Premium Modules"

The free mods were better, had better support and you could modify them yourself if some event failed.

IIRC Bioware discontinued support of NWN shortly after the first 2 Premium Modules were released and others were published by the modders for free.

"
Morgoth2356 wrote:
"Monopoly" and "having a choice" are totally opposite, but ok.

Seriously?
I said:

"
I'd agree it is monopolistic, because there isn't really anything to challenge the steam platform on the PC ( GoG and Origin are barely worth mentioning )

The 'choice' referenced was the choice to charge for their mod. Not the choice of venue.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
Last edited by MaxTheLimit on Apr 24, 2015, 12:27:19 PM
"
Hilbert wrote:
The idea isn't new. It will utterly fail just like Neverwinter Nights "Premium Modules"

The free mods were better, had better support and you could modify them yourself if some event failed.

IIRC Bioware discontinued support of NWN shortly after the first 2 Premium Modules were released and others were published by the modders for free.

Ah, I remember what a failure that was. The difference is that sadly Valve can actually afford to sit through the shitstorm and wait until the fifth phase of anger (acceptance) kicks in. Also the market is different now, people love those DLCs/MTX (nothing else are these pay mods) for some reason.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info