Oh Look, Valve are dickheads, part Infinity

"
"
Too bad they removed it.

Modders deserve to get paid for their work.

Okay then PUT A FUCKING DONATION button what the fuck lol; Why the F does besthda and valve TAKE their money in the first place?

D O N A T E button like nexus.

only problem with that is

donating to the authors of mods does not encourage publishers to open up what you can mod in their games.

That is really the only advantage I could see to this potential enterprise.

everything else about it was a clusterfuck of poor planning from attribution/kick back for authors of work to paying for a mod that may very well be obsolete due to not being updated for new patches. To many moving parts in the ship and patch gaming industry for this to be rushed to scene like this imo, but not an idea without merit.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Apr 28, 2015, 12:46:44 PM
Wow.

I think the only reasonable conclusion of all this is that the Skyrim community has a significantly high asshole factor. Shame on them, and Valve deserves kudos for at least trying (although their lawyers are still dickfaces).
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 28, 2015, 1:18:04 PM
"

Modders deserve to get paid for their work.

No one said they don't. The sad part is that they only get 25% of what you pay. And if the mod doesn't pass $400 threshold they don't get paid at all.

So if you want to support a modder it's actually better to donate rather than buying his/her mod. Buying mods that way only benefits Bethesda and Valve, not modders.

It's like Twitch, subs are good but you know, Twitch takes half of it. Donating $4.99 is like subbing for 2 months.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
25% does not equal zero.

Do you believe Valve would deserve no payment at all?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
25% does not equal zero.

Why would they deserve any payment? And please don't give me hosting and advertising bullshit, they already do that for free mods.

I would rather donate 10USD to the modder instead of paying 10USD on steam and knowing that he will only get 2.5USD.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
25% does not equal zero.

Stop.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
rockmassif wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
25% does not equal zero.

Why would they deserve any payment? And please don't give me hosting and advertising bullshit, they already do that for free mods.

I would rather donate 10USD to the modder instead of paying 10USD on steam and knowing that he will only get 2.5USD.

To be absolutely fair, Valve's part included administrative stuff like tax witholding and reporting for the mod authors. Still, 35% is a hefty cut...

Now, I'm worried about those authors who did "collaborate with the enemy." They're left to twist in the wind, like Frenchwomen who had German boyfriends during the WWII occupation having their heads shaved and whatnot. The still have to deal with the community, both on Steam Workshop and the Nexus. Given the colossal pile of steaming crap those particular folks caught, they may well simply walk away disillusioned, and that's a loss. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
What Valve was trying to do:
40% Bethesda
30% Valve
25% modder
5% community tools site chosen by modder (ex: Nexus)... goes to Valve if none specified

What I feel would have been fair:
40% modder
30% Valve
20% Bethesda
10% community tools site chosen by modder (ex: Nexus)... goes to Bethesda if none specified

In short, Bethesda too greedy, modders get shaft, Valve was being fair.

All that "hosting" stuff Valve is doing, including for free mods, still more than Bethesda.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 28, 2015, 6:34:32 PM
The real problem was Valve took a 4 year old game with existing mods they had nothing to do with and fucked with it. The percentages were only one factor. They will come back again but with a new game without any existing mods. Valve doesnt want to waste the resources or income potential on this. They are still cocksuckers of the highest order.

Its awesome though the entire gaming "community" is at each other's throats. A beautiful disaster.
Last edited by FireWalkWithMe on Apr 28, 2015, 6:48:12 PM
Well, I wish Valve had succeeded, but if I had to list errors in terms of importance:

1. No lead time. No one knew about this until it happened. For an old game with a well-established modding community that is indeed colossally stupid. Modders, community sites, and players would all need time to adjust and debate for weeks if not months before a proper implementation. Instead it was a blitzkreig, and the community fought back against it as such.

2. Copyright squabble stupidity. This would have never happened without Error #1. Modders didn't have time to secure rights to their own mods, Valve's lawyers were no doubt unprepared and had a very stupid response.

3. Lack of revenue sharing transparency. 95% of people talking about this issue probably believe Valve was looking for a 75% take, which isn't true. Never would have happened if Valve was just transparent about it, instead of us having to find out the truth from Nexus. This also wouldn't have happened if not for Error #1, because the revenue share breakdown would have circulated by then.

So in conclusion, if you aim on completely changing the status quo for a game with an already well-established modding scene, actually talk with the community before just rashly trying to change everything everyone holds dear.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info