Oh Look, Valve are dickheads, part Infinity

"
TheWretch wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Also, for reference:
Can confirm first hand from my Gamestop days. They order containers full of those biogenics garbage peripherals from china for pennies and sell them for 20$ a pop.
I think you're reading the chart backwards. Profit margin (charted) equals net profit divided by gross revenue. They're only pocketing 6 cents on the dollar for "new hardware."

But that's mostly because new consoles would account for the bulk of those dollars. Chinese peripherals could have great margins and wouldn't make a large statistical dent. Or maybe even filed under "other" (which would border on lying but could still happen).

Biggest margins on used games, with sellers seeing about 52% of the revenue GS made off their cartridges.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 24, 2015, 11:05:29 PM
No, I understood it just fine. The profit margins on new stuff, especially 1st party stuff is tiny. Not sure how you're reading into it?

E: You're also wrong on the Chinese products making a dent. We pulled in alot more money from those than we ever did from hardware. Numbers wise AND margin wise. Don't underestimate soccer mom's propensity to buy junk.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Apr 24, 2015, 11:03:46 PM
Point was, Average Guy selling his used games to Gamestop 6 years ago was getting better revenue share than Modder Guy selling his new games on Steam now.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Point was, Average Guy selling his used games to Gamestop 6 years ago was getting better revenue share than Modder Guy selling his new games on Steam now.

I've no idea about that.. probably?

Gamestop are major tools.

The day they cant sell used games anymore they're gone. The higher ups know this. I have too much self respect to repeat on here some of the nasty stuff said in conference calls but suffice to say, they don't give two shits about their customers.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
That's fucking stupid personally whoever made this decision in my honest view should die painfully.

No regrets of what I just said.

Me paying for a mod? Lol fuck that.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Yeah, selling mods is a horrible idea. They could single-handedly ruin both present and future mods with this. Quick, what are the differences between mods and DLC? It used to be that mods were developed by players and released for free. Now the only difference between mods and DLC is that one is created by amateurs.

I can understand how this could be a good change from a modder's perspective, but it's horrible and shits all over everything from a player's perspective. People are already pulling mods from the free sites and offering them on Steam for $$$ instead. Hopefully this will be stopped before future mods/modders are corrupted by greed.

Thanks, Valve, for ruining one of the few things that PC gaming had going for it!
Last edited by Microwaved on Apr 25, 2015, 4:05:24 AM
They have every right to sell their work. The bulk of your complaint is purely selfish.

That said, it is important that modders can still offer mods for free, if that is their choice. I'm not sure whether or not Steam accepts F2P mods into its marketplace. Assuming it does, and does it without charging the modder, I see no problem.
Awful news for modding community. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea about the actual issue.

There are no strict rules on Workshop. You can basically steal someone elses work from Nexus and make money until people realize.

You can use other moddders resources without having to pay anything to them.

There is no guarantee that the mod you bought will ever get updated.

Most mods are experimental, there is a really good chance that you're gonna encounter a lot of problems with every mod and even if you get refund, they don't actually pay you back, instead they add it into your Steam Wallet.

There is no moderation or quality assurance for mods.

Workshop will be flouded with bunch of useless mods to get easy money. (You can get this shiny weapon for just 9.99 SUB NOW!)

Heavily Modded Skyrim setups usually consist of hundreds of mods, paying for everyone of them is basically unreal. Even 1 usd makes around 300-400USD for my current setup. That's like 10 times more of the release price of Skyrim.

Modders don't even make that much from this. It's only 25% percent profit for all that work. There is no cut if you make a donation via Nexus. 100% goes to the Modder.

I'm not even mentioning the technical issues you're gonna have when you're forced to use Workshop. Official Skyrim Launcher just ruins your Load Order and even if you remove one mod, the save file gets fucked. Skyrim Launcher and Workshop is not designed well enough to let us create a heavily modded Skyrim setup. It simply sucks balls.

I'm not against paying for well established and high quality mods like Falskaar or SkyUI, but also a lot of people will try to abuse this market and it will turn modding community into a very bad version of TF2, HATS HATS HATS MORE HATS EZ MONEY.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Last edited by rockmassif on Apr 25, 2015, 7:14:11 AM
Pesonally, in the end i would not worry too much about this. I am pretty sure that the best mods will still be free on Nexus. Even if some amazing mod is for purchase, it would not take long before someone will copy it and share it for free(and he will have every right to do so). It won't work.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
You guys are contradicting yourselves over and over again. The bottom line is that you're cheap! Otherwise, the things you are saying would make more sense!

This thread is just an echo chamber of emotes from a bunch of people too cheap to pay for their mods. You aren't entitled to mods. Bottom line.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info