Oh Look, Valve are dickheads, part Infinity

I'm not yelling at anyone. Just think it'd be smart on them, probably not right now but soon. Did someone else have the unionize idea?

Also, from Valve CEO
"
If you are going to ascribe everything we do to being greedy, at least give us credit for being greedy long (value creation) and not greedy short (screwing over customers).
My response to this falls somewhere between "amen, brother" and "we'll be watching you."
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 25, 2015, 11:39:18 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
My response to this falls somewhere between "amen, brother" and "we'll be watching you."

This is what Gabe is counting on. Lazy, spineless, half-wit gamers pretending to watch and then ultimately forgetting that mods being free is a cornerstone tenet of pc gaming.

He knows how stupid 98% of gamers are. Valve counts on it. They have given Valve a pass for a game they made over a decade ago - pissing in the mouths of their customers on a quarterly basis. We let them because of Gordon Freeman.

I chose a long time ago to spit the piss back into the gaping maw of Gabe Newell's Valve. I am quite enjoying this I hope it continues to heat up.

edit: I am not calling you a half wit I assure you. I am generalizing.
Last edited by FireWalkWithMe on Apr 25, 2015, 11:50:49 PM
Well, it does take an extra-special kind of crazy to verbally identify the difference between "greedy long" and "greedy short," then deliberately aim for the latter. You'd pretty much need to be a straight-up sociopath.

Accidentally achieving the latter while aiming for the former is much more believable.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
An update and some clarifications by Dark0ne, the guy who runs the Nexus:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12459/?

=^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
dark0ne answered my "split" question:
"
if a mod author does not select any Service Providers then the cut remains 25% to the mod author, 40% to Bethesda, 35% to Valve. If the mod author picks one or more Service Providers then the cut changes to 25% to the mod author, 40% to Bethesda, 30% to Valve, 5% shared between one or more Service Providers.
where Service Provider essentially means missing tools site such as Nexus.

Valve's cut here is fair. They handle distribution and downloads and DRM (which you may hate but it's work), all of which scale with sales. Google Play is 30% too.

The greedy fucks are, as I predicted, Bethesda. How much additional work to they put in for their 40%? Nothing that gamers haven't already paid for. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but all they do is sit on their IP and previous work, lift not a finger, and rake in lots of cash.

This is disturbing to me because one function of mods is to fix things the developers fucked up in the first place. Or at least could have done better. UI improvements, rebalancing, stuff like that. Will any developer actually be motivated to do those things properly anymore, when they can just wait for some modder to handle it AND get paid for the modder's work?

I'm not saying publishers should get nothing - that's absurd - but it shouldn't be such a lion's share.

I would really like to see the modder and publisher payouts switched - 40% modder, 25% publisher. I'm not saying Valve is perfect, but they're not the greediest ones here.

Although Valve's lawyers are still shitbags until I hear otherwise.
Valve has predictably brought down discussion pages. all of the community it seems. it will liekly take them some time to delete choice reviews and lock all of threads of dissenters.
http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/33sjxj/reactions_from_mod_authors_regarding_the_new_paid/

Also in the complete list there is the SkyWind team as well, saying:

TESV: Skywind
In light of recent events surrounding the ability for users to sell their mods on the Steam Workshop the TESRenewal team would like to clarify that we will never charge our community any money in order to enjoy our mod.
Thank you and have a great weekend

This is amazing. Skywind is the most ambitious Elder's Scrolls mod ever attempted. They are rebuilding Morrowing with Skyrim engine, and yet they want nothing to do about it.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
Here's what I will do if this becomes reality: I will pirate paid mods and donate to developers of good mods who distribute their mods for free (as Skywind for example). Sue me Valve.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
From the Skyrim Nexus site
>http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12454/?
>The modding community, especially with Bethesda games, is built on mods that use assets from other mods. Many mods are stand-alone and use completely unique or vanilla assets, but many also use assets from other mods. On top of that, many modders release their mods as "modders resources", essentially saying to people "take whatever you want from my mod and use it in yours". The introduction of paid for mods changes that. Some mod authors have already taken their mods down because they're afraid their assets or even their entire mods will be stolen and added to the new Steam Workshop without their permission. Many more have said they are now unsure if they'll ever release another modder's resource again.

The modding community has always been a free, relatively open source, creative community. You have to be blind to not see that Valve's new idea is seriously harming the modding community.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Poutsos wrote:

Also in the complete list there is the SkyWind team as well, saying:

TESV: Skywind
In light of recent events surrounding the ability for users to sell their mods on the Steam Workshop the TESRenewal team would like to clarify that we will never charge our community any money in order to enjoy our mod.
Thank you and have a great weekend

This is amazing. Skywind is the most ambitious Elder's Scrolls mod ever attempted. They are rebuilding Morrowing with Skyrim engine, and yet they want nothing to do about it.

Well perhaps unlike some other modders they don't need any extra money. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of highschool college modders who love what they do but could also use some money for gas and books.

These people's reactions are absolutely the result of them being afraid of being labeled as sell outs so they are too afraid to accept this opportunity to get a little money.
Last edited by BearCares on Apr 26, 2015, 4:53:37 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info